Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review: 10Gbps 22€/y "MiniKVM".
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review: 10Gbps 22€/y "MiniKVM".

stefemanstefeman Member
edited January 2020 in Reviews

So I saw this today: https://hostballs.com/t/minikvm-high-quality-16-a-year-vps-lowest-price-in-the-market/3905

1x Intel Xeon Silver 4214 vCPU
1536 MB ECC Memory
15 GB NVMe SSD Disk Space
/80 IPv6 Subnet
1 x IPv4 address
Free DDoS Protection
1 TB Monthly Bandwidth
10 GBps down – 2 GBps up
Frankfurt DC

Made a few benchmarks after buying it..

this being said, I havent used the support yet and have no great hopes for it at this price range.

bench.sh

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz
Number of cores : 1
CPU frequency : 2199.998 MHz
Total size of Disk : 15.0 GB (1.7 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem : 1489 MB (62 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 0 MB (0 MB Used)
System uptime : 0 days, 0 hour 9 min
Load average : 0.15, 0.22, 0.11
Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 4.15.0-22-generic

I/O speed(1st run) : 453 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run) : 423 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run) : 420 MB/s

Average I/O speed : 432.0 MB/s

Node Name IPv4 address Download Speed
CacheFly 205.234.175.175 94.3MB/s
Linode, Tokyo2, JP 139.162.65.37 9.17MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG 139.162.23.4 8.91MB/s
Linode, London, UK 176.58.107.39 129MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE 139.162.130.8 134MB/s
Linode, Fremont, CA 50.116.14.9 12.5MB/s
Softlayer, Dallas, TX 173.192.68.18 14.5MB/s
Softlayer, Seattle, WA 67.228.112.250 10.9MB/s
Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE 159.122.69.4 97.8MB/s
Softlayer, Singapore, SG 119.81.28.170 6.90MB/s

Softlayer, HongKong, CN 119.81.130.170 7.02MB/s

ioping

29 requests completed in 8.48 ms, 116 KiB read, 3.42 k iops, 13.4 MiB/s
generated 30 requests in 29.0 s, 120 KiB, 1 iops, 4.14 KiB/s
min/avg/max/mdev = 177.2 us / 292.4 us / 1.29 ms / 199.3 us

YABS

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Yet-Another-Bench-Script

v2019-10-08

https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script

## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##

Wed Jan 1 15:51:27 PST 2020

Basic System Information:

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz
CPU cores : 1 @ 2199.998 MHz
AES-NI : ✔ Enabled
VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
RAM : 1.5G
Swap : 0B
Disk : 15G

Disk Speed Tests:

| Test 1      | Test 2      | Test 3      | Avg
   |             |             |             |

Write | 63.40 MB/s | 62.70 MB/s | 63.40 MB/s | 63.17 MB/s
Read | 100.06 MB/s | 100.66 MB/s | 98.65 MB/s | 99.79 MB/s

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):

Provider | Location (Link) | Send Speed | Recv Speed
| | |
Bouygues Telecom | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.92 Gbits/sec | 9.18 Gbits/sec
Online.net | Paris, FR (10G) | 1.92 Gbits/sec | 8.48 Gbits/sec
Severius | The Netherlands (10G) | 1.92 Gbits/sec | 8.96 Gbits/sec
Worldstream | The Netherlands (10G) | 1.94 Gbits/sec | 9.36 Gbits/sec
wilhelm.tel | Hamburg, DE (10G) | 1.93 Gbits/sec | 8.18 Gbits/sec
Biznet | Bogor, Indonesia (1G) | 715 Mbits/sec | 348 Mbits/sec
Hostkey | Moscow, RU (1G) | 923 Mbits/sec | 927 Mbits/sec
Velocity Online | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 1.57 Gbits/sec | 1.41 Gbits/sec
Airstream Communications | Eau Claire, WI, US (10G) | 984 Mbits/sec | 435 Mbits/sec
Hurricane Electric | Fremont, CA, US (10G) | 1.45 Gbits/sec | busy

Geekbench 4 Benchmark Test:

Test | Value
|
Single Core | 2841
Multi Core | 2695
Full Test | https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/15094168

The Disk speed seems to be weird, another YABS gives low results while bench.sh gives solid speeds. I re-tested this and it seems to be consistent.

The ip managent is pretty nice though.

Minus points for not being able to purchase more than 1TB bandwidth...

Overall looks pretty nice cause of 10Gbps (cheap enough) yearly OVH VPS with an IP Management.

I'll write about long term experiences later on.

Comments

• Nice, looks like a steal at that price range. I just bought one as well. Love the €1 upgrades :blush:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Size is relative, but 1.5GB is not "mini" anymore.

Thanked by 1DP
  • @Neoon said:

It depends, if you want to run a couple MySQL DBs you need 2 GB+ very fast.
    Besides there is no swap and the HDD space is fairly limited, that might be an issue.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Besides there is no swap and the HDD space is fairly limited, that might be an issue.

Of course when you want to run a fat Database, you pick a "miniKVM".
    2GB and more is to be recommended yes.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@Neoon said:

Even .5 is not considered “mini” 😂

• Mini is 64 MB or 128 MB VPS

• @chocolateshirt said:
    Mini is 64 MB or 128 MB VPS

I would consider that micro actually. In this day and age memory is so cheap, perhaps 10 years ago that would be mini.

If you look at tinykvm they offer 256 MB memory which they consider 'tiny'.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Uh, looks great

• muffinmuffin Member
    edited January 2020

@marvel said:
    Nice, looks like a steal at that price range. I just bought one as well. Love the €1 upgrades :blush:

You’ve been warned before by sir Panda that you don’t have a provider tag ( posting offers for autovm.com , which is owned by Novos which also owns minikvm )... now you pretend to be a customer?

Edit: I understand you need some public attention when you are small, but I think this is not the right way to do it : /

• @marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Why not just apply for a provider tag? Everyone knows you're the onwer of Novos...

Thanked by 3ViridWeb marvel DP
  • @muffin said:

@marvel said:
    Nice, looks like a steal at that price range. I just bought one as well. Love the €1 upgrades :blush:

You’ve been warned before by sir Panda that you don’t have a provider tag ( posting offers for autovm.com , which is owned by Novos which also owns minikvm )... now you pretend to be a customer?

Edit: I understand you need some public attention when you are small, but I think this is not the right way to do it : /

It's just such a great deal I still can't believe it myself when I see it.

• marvelmarvel Member
    edited January 2020

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Why not just apply for a provider tag? Everyone knows you're the onwer of Novos...

Already doing that for 4 months now. If they don't give you one they force you to get creative, you can't blame me for doing that. I'm 100% legit company offering great services and support but no I'm not BuyVM so no tag right?

• @marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Already doing that for 4 months now. If they don't give you one they force you to get creative, you can't blame me for doing that.

On the contrary, yes, indeed, we can blame you for pretending to be a customer (which is known as shilling)

I'm 100% legit company offering great services and support but no I'm not BuyVM so no tag right?

Did you submit your request for a provider tag to https://support.lowend.party/ ?

Thanked by 2debaser TimboJones
  • @angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Already doing that for 4 months now. If they don't give you one they force you to get creative, you can't blame me for doing that.

On the contrary, yes, indeed, we can blame you for pretending to be a customer (which is known as shilling)

I'm 100% legit company offering great services and support but no I'm not BuyVM so no tag right?

Did you submit your request for a provider tag to https://support.lowend.party/ ?

Yes I did, both systems several times. No rejection nor approval mails ever.

Btw I was being a bit cynical with that first line.

• @marvel said:

@debaser said:

Already doing that for 4 months now. If they don't give you one they force you to get creative, you can't blame me for doing that. I'm 100% legit company offering great services and support but no I'm not BuyVM so no tag right?

Well I will blame you for pretending you’re a customer. Really not a good idea if you ever want that provider tag. Small chance you’re getting it this way.

A better option was to reply as yourself. Maybe answering questions.

Bezint eer ge begint.

• @marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

4 months does seem a bit long, I agree, but I imagine that the staff have other priorities (given that they are all volunteers)

Thanked by 1debaser
  • @debaser said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

Well I will blame you for pretending you’re a customer. Really not a good idea if you ever want that provider tag. Small chance you’re getting it this way.

Bezint eer ge begint.

I wasn't getting one either way so I'll take that small chance :)

• @angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

4 months does seem a bit long, I agree, but I imagine that the staff have other priorities (given that they are all volunteers)

Well I guess so, but I do run several websites myself (as a volunteer). I don't think it's an excuse to annoy people and let them wait for months just because you don't get payed for something. Then don't volunteer in the first place.

If a volunteer works with handicapped kids and he lets them die do you also say yeah you can't blame him he was a volunteer he probably had other priorities.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@Neoon said:

Well I guess so, but I do run several websites myself (as a volunteer). I don't think it's an excuse to annoy people and let them wait for months just because you don't get payed for something. Then don't volunteer in the first place.

If a volunteer works with handicapped kids and he lets them die do you also say yeah you can't blame him he was a volunteer he probably had other priorities.

That's a bit dramatic as a parallel

Anyway, perhaps @Jord can help

Thanked by 3debaser DP marvel
  • @marvel said:

@debaser said:

@marvel said:

@debaser said:

Bezint eer ge begint.

I wasn't getting one either way so I'll take that small chance :)

It’s bad for your image anyway. And image is very important in the LE market. You’d know that.

Thanked by 1DP
    edited January 2020

@debaser said:

It’s bad for your image anyway. And image is very important in the LE market. You’d know that.

In addition to that, always remember that LET is ‘eternal’ 😏

Thanked by 2debaser marvel
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
    edited January 2020

So you complain about waiting for months for a response to your ticket? Though there is only one ticket you submitted on the 23rd of December. May I add just before Xmas and when most of us spend time with our families.

We are all volunteers, who own businesses or work. We don't have 24 hours a day 7 days a week to be glued to our screens on LET. We do our best with the spare time we have. You have submitted one ticket on the new system. No one has access to the old system so I can't see what or how many times you have asked.

Please don't forget we get hundreds of provider tag requests. Each one takes time to go through all the information provided. This isn't something that is done quickly. As we are in fact here to protect customers.

Now that you have done the above, and claimed to order the package (shilling) you will be able to apply for a provider tag in 90 days. If you continue to shill you will be banned. Serve this as your warning.

Thanked by 3angstrom DP maverickp
  • @Jord said:
    So you complain about waiting for months for a response to your ticket? Though there is only one ticket you submitted on the 23rd of December. May I add just before Xmas and when most of us spend time with our families.

We are all volunteers, who own businesses or work. We don't have 24 hours a day 7 days a week to be glued to our screens on LET. We do our best with the spare time we have. You have submitted one ticket on the new system. No one has access to the old system so I can't see what or how many times you have asked.

Please don't forget we get hundreds of provider tag requests. Each one takes time to go through all the information provided. This isn't something that is done quickly. As we are in fact here to protect customers.

Now that you have done the above, and claimed to order the package (shilling) you will be able to apply for a provider tag in 90 days. If you continue to shill you will be banned. Serve this as your warning.

U mad bro?

• @marvel said:

@Jord said:

U mad bro?

So it wasn't four months on the new system after all!

• @angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@Jord said:

U mad bro?

Old. new what does it matter it was 4 months probably longer than that.

• @marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@Jord said:

U mad bro?

The old system has been broken for a long time, so that doesn't count. You've been around here long enough to have heard this.

• @angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@Jord said:

U mad bro?

The old system has been broken for a long time, so that doesn't count. You've been around here long enough to have heard this.

Well tbh I'm only active since last summer but yeah my account is a lot older, just never used it until then so no I didn't know why else would I submit tickets into a broken system. Anyway nvm solved I guess :smile:

• @marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@angstrom said:

@marvel said:

@Jord said:

U mad bro?

Well tbh I'm only active since last summer but yeah my account is a lot older, just never used it until then so no I didn't know why else would I submit tickets into a broken system. Anyway nvm solved I guess :smile:

The broken system is indeed an issue, but you could always have asked about what to do

Be that as it may, the shilling wasn't a good idea

• will minikvm ever grow up? perhaps a 2x2