Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway DEV1-S but with more storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway DEV1-S but with more storage

Hello,

I have been restricted by the amount of storage the DEV1-S servers allow (20GB)

I am looking for unlimited bandwidth (200Mbit/s min)

150GB storage

2GB RAM

2 CPUs

in the EU.

for €5/month

Is this possible?

Cheers.

DEV1-S:

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2837  (GOOD)
   Multi Core : 4481

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
    bzip2     :  77.8 MB/s
   sha256     : 157 MB/s
   md5sum     : 387 MB/s

RAM Speed:
   Avg. write : 2252.8 MB/s
   Avg. read  : 6314.7 MB/s

Disk Speed:
   1st run    : 394 MB/s
   2nd run    : 392 MB/s
   3rd run    : 339 MB/s
   -----------------------
   Average    : 375.0 MB/s

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    Thanked by 2seriesn poisson
  • You won't get 150GB of SSD storage for €5/m, and we arent even talking about the 2 vCores and 2GB or RAM.

Either up your budget or downgrade to HDD storage.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited January 2020

Thanks for the mention MR domain king.

@maxisme do you really need unmetered connection ? I can probably spin something up for you if you don’t need unlimited* data. Definitely not 150GB of ssd but there’s some mix and match you can do with backup vm and ssfs:)

Shoot me a pm brother if you would like to discuss :)

Thanked by 1maxisme
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited January 2020

Going to need to raise your budget, most likely.

Unmetered bandwidth is hard to come by at that price, and 'cloud' storage that's flexible in size is typically more expensive than say a dedicated server and real drives

Hetzner can provide 150GB volumes for €6.00, I think everything gets 20TB of bandwidth. Lowest spec server is 2.50/m, 1x2GB

Thanked by 1maxisme
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2020

At Scaleway if you have quota for Baremetal instances (ask support if you don't) you can create the C1:

It has adjustable storage size up to 1000 GB in 50GB for 0.5 EUR/mo increments (and up to 200GB per each volume). However it is a lot slower than the Ryzen core you have on the DEV-1, and the storage even though being SSD, I believe it is network-accessed, so not the fastest either.

Thanked by 1maxisme
  • @rm_ said:
    At Scaleway if you have quota for Baremetal instances (ask support if you don't) you can create the C1:

It has adjustable storage size up to 1000 GB in 50GB for 0.5 EUR/mo increments (and up to 200GB per each volume). However it is a lot slower than the Ryzen core you have on the DEV-1, and the storage even though being SSD, I believe it is network-accessed, so not the fastest either.

Yes unfortunately they run Arm so I can’t use docker as well.

• @vovler said:
    You won't get 150GB of SSD storage for €5/m, and we arent even talking about the 2 vCores and 2GB or RAM.

Either up your budget or downgrade to HDD storage.

Sorry HDD storage is absolutely fine.

• @maxisme said:

@rm_ said:

I think you can use docker for ARM
    https://engineering.docker.com/2019/06/getting-started-with-docker-for-arm-on-linux/
    cmiiw

Thanked by 1maxisme
  • jlayjlay Member
    edited January 2020

@akhfa said:

@maxisme said:

@rm_ said:

I think you can use docker for ARM
    https://engineering.docker.com/2019/06/getting-started-with-docker-for-arm-on-linux/
    cmiiw

Yep, Docker works just fine on ARM. Tough part is getting images built for the correct architecture, often either arm v7 or aarch64 (depending if it's 64bit or not). It can sometimes be difficult to find the image you want, but not impossible (may need to get comfortable with building and moving/tagging images)

Running normal x86_64 images on ARM will fail, 'exec format error'

Thanked by 1maxisme
  • Running normal x86_64 images on ARM will fail, 'exec format error'

Ahh Yes - That was my issue.

• also you can use Block Storage at Scaleway , for example .

but it will cost a bit more of course

• majesticmajestic Member
    edited January 2020

Internal traffic to object store (s3 compatible) with Scaleway is another option. I use a DEV1-S VPS with them running MinIO in gateway mode to bypass the traffic costs which is usually associated with object store.

You could do something similar and use s3backer (https://github.com/archiecobbs/s3backer) or s3fs to create a virtual filesystem. I would suggest s3backer if your doing that as its "mostly" POSIX compliant.

Do remember that Internal traffic with Scaleway is free so you can use object storage + VPS and just pay 0.01 per GB of data stored.

Thanked by 1default