Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colocation in the UK?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colocation in the UK?

This is not a thread looking for immediate sign on, but trying to get a better gauge of the market beyond those advertised by Google search ad bidders.

Broadly what I'm looking for:

• 1U
  • 1A (sadly) at 240V
  • 1Gbps at > 10TB / month
  • /31 IPv4 is suffient, /29 a bonus
  • /64 IPv6
  • IPMI/KVM ideal -- please note if additional cost involved
  • Within London/M25 is not required, but good-to-have if at a reasonably premium
  • A small amount of free remote hand time (up to 15 minutes) per month would be useful, especially if outside London

Payments:

• Please note if setup fee payable
  • Need to be able to contract with an individual, as this is not for a commercial project and VAT will be payable
  • Up to a 12 month contract

Payments possible via credit card, PayPal, or faster payments standing order.

Comments

• Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

@Clouvider

I don't colocate with them but do have some dedis and service has been excellent.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • Thanked by 1Zare
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

You can see all DCs at map:
    https://www.datacentermap.com/united-kingdom/

Majority DCs in UK operates on contract and invoice basis, so no PayPal payments.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep
  • @WebProject said:
    You can see all DCs at map:
    https://www.datacentermap.com/united-kingdom/

Majority DCs in UK operates on contract and invoice basis, so no PayPal payments.

Yeah, that's the problematic part -- I have no interest in registering a limited company under my name to fill an informal project requirement. That's why I'm trying to find alternatives.

• Cheapest will be UKServers, Maidenhead if you require good latency to London (it's about 1ms more than in London itself). Clouvider & Zare will set you back at LEAST £70 for that, if not more due to the power requirement, but note they both have far more premium networks compared to UKServers so if low latency is a requirement to all international locations, they won't be your best option.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2020

@Mr_Tom said:
    @Clouvider

I don't colocate with them but do have some dedis and service has been excellent.

Thanks for the recommendation and feedback!

@sundaymouse - Yes we can do colocation in a number of our London PoP's, please open a sales ticket with us to discuss pricing. Personal accounts are not an issue.

• jhjh Member
    edited January 2020

I can recommend @Clouvider for Colo but TBH I think it's going to be expensive with that power requirement. Power is usually the cost driver in the UK. Why is your usage so high? Old equipment?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited January 2020

Re. power -- Yeah unfortunately it's old equipment, and I can't really build a more efficient one at the moment. It is an HSM server not working well with newer chipsets.

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look around and be in touch.

• NDTNNDTN Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

Another +1 for UKservers. We have been using their colocation service for several years with no major issues. They offer free remote hands for almost all of the tasks too.

• For that sort of power requirement I'd also recommend UKservers, currently with them too for colo.