Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Debian Installed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Debian Installed

XenosXenos Member

I rented a server from Nocix to install Proxmox on. For some reason they do not include Debian in their auto-installer list and when I contacted support, they told me I have to use what's in the list. Centos, Ubuntu, Sysrcd, and Grml. I read it may be possible with Grml. I'll pay if someone can get it installed.

Comments

• hzrhzr Member

are you sure you didn't pick a server that has some hardware incompatibilities? my newer stuff there all have debian stretch in the dropdown.

• @hzr said:
    are you sure you didn't pick a server that has some hardware incompatibilities? my newer stuff there all have debian stretch in the dropdown.

I got the I3-3220. I would think it would support Debian if Ubuntu is on the list.

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

That's really unusual.. They do provide custom installation if clients contact support..
    Maybe there's misunderstanding..

• I'd reach back out, they offer custom install and have done for me in the past...

• Debootstrap is what you're looking for. It's not the cleanest solution, but it'll get you what you want.

• Nocix always offer custom installation except for those instant servers. On the other hand, just request for IPMI where you can do the job.

• @mrclown said:
    Nocix always offer custom installation except for those instant servers. On the other hand, just request for IPMI where you can do the job.

IPMI/KVM is also not available on instant servers at Nocix or WII (last I checked).

Bootstrapping an install off of the existing OS may be your only option. Trying to change your OS with only SSH access is like trying to change the tires on your car while you're driving; you can do it, but it's difficult and you may crash a few times before you get it right.