Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Does Seafile have Borgbackup's concept of repositories?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does Seafile have Borgbackup's concept of repositories?

I'm thinking about online backups and I wonder whether seafile has something similar to borgbackup's repositories.

Are the repositories in borgbackup something offered by the providers, eg borgbase.com, or are they features of the borgbackup server software itself?

Is a repository simply a fancy name for a dataset, or a particular set of files from the client's perspective?

Comments

• a repo in borg holds multiple datasets (backups) and uses deduplication across those.
    essentially you just use a directory/destination which you initialize as 'repo' with the encryption/compression settings etc.
    on a single storage server you can have multiple destinations/repos which then would not share deduplication etc.

that's probably what makes it interesting/easy for providers of such borg storage ;-)

I would not compare seafile and borgbackup at all, as I think the concepts and purposes are totally different...