Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Carrier-1 Data Center/Psychz Network
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Carrier-1 Data Center/Psychz Network

I recently purchased a Dedicated Server and they are located in the Carrier 1 data center in Dallas, but I noticed that the Psychz data center is at the same location. Is this just like a hub where they rent out space for DC? Just hearing the Stories of Psychz has me a little worried.

Comments

• Carrier-1 is the DC. Psychz is one of the tenants. There are several others at the same DC. Just like everything else in life - take "stories from them internets" with a grain of salt.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

Psychz doesn't own any physical datacenter buildings, essentially no companies do except the very big ones. Just rent floor space or cages.

Psychz is fine, I've used them for years.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

As others have said shouldn't worry about anything, as for owning the data centers depending on the companies most as MikeA said rent suites, cages, or racks.

Take everything you read on here negative with a grain of salt, for every negative review most times there are hundreds of happy clients. You will always find the odd upset person who is more vocal than happy ones.

• PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

Using them for 2 years and they are good. I suppose most of their problems come from their fast expansion in the past 1-2 years. Have had a few issues in some of their locations but nothing too problematic.

• @MikeA said:
    Psychz doesn't own any physical datacenter buildings, essentially no companies do except the very big ones. Just rent floor space or cages.

Psychz is fine, I've used them for years.

Even the big ones aren't building their own facilities anymore. Providers like CyrusOne, Digital Realty, Raging Wire, etc. have made it efficient and cheap to stand up a new site compared to building your own facility. That's aside from the fact that with leasing space you can grow or shrink as needed by leasing more or giving back space, or shutting down the facility and moving to a different provider. You can't really do that, or at least it very difficult and costly, if you own the building.

Out team is in Ashburn Virginia, data center ally, and we've been working in the enterprise data center industry for years and witnessed the shift.

To the OP: Virtually any company you rent resources from is going to be leasing their facilities (and often times core network gear) from another provider. This includes companies like Amazon and Microsoft.

edited December 2019

@PainlessHosting I was mainly referring to server/cloud providers like OVH, Hetzner, etc., not the companies that just buy a building, connect it sell the physical space.

• @MikeA said:
    @PainlessHosting I was mainly referring to server/cloud providers like OVH, Hetzner, etc., not the companies that just buy a building, connect it sell the physical space.

They are included as well. OVH rents space in CyrusOne facilities for some of their US operations, for example, and I'm sure from others as well.

I was mainly just reinforcing your point that no matter where OP goes, he'll be leasing resources from a provider that is leasing their facility from someone else.

• I've been in Carrier-1 (the benefits of colo'ing where you live). They are a carrier neutral DC. A couple of providers here on in there, like Psychz and Incero (are they still banned here?). They have a couple of clients that also have private floor space. Last time I was there, I think they were about 2/3 rented out.

@PainlessHosting said:

@MikeA said:

They are included as well. OVH rents space in CyrusOne facilities for some of their US operations, for example, and I'm sure from others as well.

I was mainly just reinforcing your point that no matter where OP goes, he'll be leasing resources from a provider that is leasing their facility from someone else.

Yeah.. I'm still talking about the big players but I get your point. OVH (not OVH US company) owns most of their original datacenter buildings considering they started off by putting them in metal cans.

Thanked by 1PainlessHosting
  • @MikeA said:

@PainlessHosting said:

@MikeA said:

Yeah.. I'm still talking about the big players but I get your point. OVH (not OVH US company) owns most of their original datacenter buildings considering they started off by putting them in metal cans.

I'll take resources in a leased space over the owned metal can lol

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Quite a nice facility. Either been once or twice, can't recall. Perfectly fine separation of tenants.

• HivelocityHivelocity Member, Patron Provider

@Silvenga said:
    I've been in Carrier-1 (the benefits of colo'ing where you live). They are a carrier neutral DC. A couple of providers here on in there, like Psychz and Incero (are they still banned here?). They have a couple of clients that also have private floor space. Last time I was there, I think they were about 2/3 rented out.

Hivelocity acquired Incero in November of 2018 and I am happy to report we are not banned here, nor are you guys banned from us (my understanding is LET users were at one time). If you haven’t been by Carrier-1 in the last 9 months I would love to invite you to come tour the new office space we built out there and of course the actual data center.