Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yum lock cpanel install error help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yum lock cpanel install error help

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone had any experience on how to fix yum lock issues. whenever i try to resintall cpanel/whm on a clean server its coming up with a yum lock error constantly. for example recent one...

[2019-12-24 22:44:00 +0200] Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
[2019-12-24 22:44:00 +0200] The other application is: yum
[2019-12-24 22:44:00 +0200] Memory : 71 M RSS (362 MB VSZ)
[2019-12-24 22:44:00 +0200] Started: Tue Dec 24 22:43:49 2019 - 00:11 ago
[2019-12-24 22:44:00 +0200] State : Sleeping, pid: 1682

Unsure how to fix this. Sometimes its a different pid.

Any ideas of how to fix this please?

Comments

• ViridWebViridWeb Member, Host Rep

It's a common issue..

In your case you can use the following command

rm -f /var/run/yum.pid 1682

Or this

ps -ef | grep yum

kill -9 [insert pid]

I would recommend to wait for sometime after reinstalling new OS before you start installing cPanel

• So I tried this whilst installing cPanel it doesn’t really help as then it’s not really installing all the things cPanel needs and then eventually gets stuck towards the end. I also waited 12 hours after reinstalling the OS and it still did the same thing.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@MatthewLeigh where is this server hosted? Is it a VPS or Dedicated server?

• MatthewLeighMatthewLeigh Member
    edited December 2019

@Jord said:

London area, VPS.

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

London area I believe, VPS.

It could be that once the OS has been installed, the hosting company then does a yum update and it's running through that. I would never remove a yum lock. I would see if it completes by itself. If not reboot and see if it works then.

I would say reinstall the OS and give it some time to complete updating itself, then give it a little while and try again.

When you get a VPS, it's always good to give it 5-10 mins to complete, as the hosting company might do a few extra steps after installing the OS.

• @Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

It could be that once the OS has been installed, the hosting company then does a yum update and it's running through that. I would never remove a yum lock. I would see if it completes by itself. If not reboot and see if it works then.

I would say reinstall the OS and give it some time to complete updating itself, then give it a little while and try again.

When you get a VPS, it's always good to give it 5-10 mins to complete, as the hosting company might do a few extra steps after installing the OS.

Thanks Jord,

I reinstalled the OS last night then left it till this morning then did a yum update and check etc then tried to reinstall cPanel again. Had the same issue where yum lock appeared. The yum lock only appears during cPanel install and doesn’t remove just continues with the yum lock error. And when cPanel install is happening I can’t reboot it due to the cPanel install cancelling again and having to start over.

Stuck after about 10 reinstalls due to it crashing or cPanel install obviously cancelling due to reboot and yum lock.

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

Thanks Jord,

I reinstalled the OS last night then left it till this morning then did a yum update and check etc then tried to reinstall cPanel again. Had the same issue where yum lock appeared. The yum lock only appears during cPanel install and doesn’t remove just continues with the yum lock error. And when cPanel install is happening I can’t reboot it due to the cPanel install cancelling again and having to start over.

Stuck after about 10 reinstalls due to it crashing or cPanel install obviously cancelling due to reboot and yum lock.

Hmmm sounds weird indeed.

So when you reinstall the OS and do a yum update it lets you do that?

Also do you have Cloudlinux installed?

• @Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

Thanks Jord,

Yes it lets me do a yum update perfectly fine it’s just when installing cPanel it gets stuck. I don’t use CloudFlare no. I also installed the same version of cPanel A different dedicated and that worked fine. Did yum lock first then fixed itself but it just doesn’t fix itself on a VPS.

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

Thanks Jord,

Yes it lets me do a yum update perfectly fine it’s just when installing cPanel it gets stuck. I don’t use CloudFlare no. I also installed the same version of cPanel A different dedicated and that worked fine. Did yum lock first then fixed itself but it just doesn’t fix itself on a VPS.

Try this:

pgrep yum | xargs kill -9
    yum clean all
    yum update

• @Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

Thanks Jord,

Try this:

yum clean all
    yum update

This is all it gives me when i try to use what you gave me...

Usage:
    kill [options] <pid|name> [...]

Options:
    -a, --all do not restrict the name-to-pid conversion to processes
    with the same uid as the present process
    -s, --signal send specified signal
    -q, --queue use sigqueue(2) rather than kill(2)
    -p, --pid print pids without signaling them
    -l, --list [=] list signal names, or convert one to a name
    -L, --table list signal names and numbers

-h, --help display this help and exit
    -V, --version output version information and exit

For more details see kill(1).

@MatthewLeigh pkill -9 yum

• @Jord said:
    @MatthewLeigh pkill -9 yum

[root@server10 ~]# pkill -9 yum
    [root@server10 ~]# yum clean all
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Cleaning repos: base extras updates
    [root@server10 ~]# yum update
    Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
    Determining fastest mirrors
    * base: mirrors.clouvider.net
    * extras: mirrors.clouvider.net
    * updates: mirrors.clouvider.net
    base | 3.6 kB 00:00
    extras | 2.9 kB 00:00
    updates | 2.9 kB 00:00
    (1/4): base/7/x86_64/group_gz | 165 kB 00:00
    (2/4): extras/7/x86_64/primary_db | 153 kB 00:00
    (3/4): updates/7/x86_64/primary_db | 5.9 MB 00:00
    (4/4): base/7/x86_64/primary_db | 6.0 MB 00:00
    No packages marked for update

Now try to install cPanel again, but make sure you leave the SSH terminal open and leave it until it finishes :) @MatthewLeigh

• @Jord said:
    Now try to install cPanel again, but make sure you leave the SSH terminal open and leave it until it finishes :) @MatthewLeigh

still the same.
    when it gets to waiting for (mysql rpm download to begin installing rpms

another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

the other application is; yum

state : sleeping pid 1740

Have it currently open in html 5 due to ssh closing once it gets stuck

It continues to do this and then eventually changes the url as the connection has timed out obviously due to yum lock....

:( rather fustrating... :(

@MatthewLeigh said:

@Jord said:

still the same.
    when it gets to waiting for (mysql rpm download to begin installing rpms

another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...

the other application is; yum

state : sleeping pid 1740

Have it currently open in html 5 due to ssh closing once it gets stuck

It continues to do this and then eventually changes the url as the connection has timed out obviously due to yum lock....

:( rather fustrating... :(

Sent you a PM sir.