Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name servers vs A records for domain name webhosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Name servers vs A records for domain name webhosting

I am using mailbox parking for some domain names, so I am using A records for the domain name. Are there any major disadvantages of using A records compared to name servers in terms of DNS propagation.

Comments

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR

Many people tend to forget also configuring AAAA (IPv6) which SHOULD BE in place by default at many shared hosters. Furthermore, when mailing from the shared hosting and manually maintaining the zone, you might not have an up to date SPF, DMARC or DKIM record causing in a less reliable deliverability.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • It entirely depends on your wants and need.
    For my hobby domains, I have the TTL set at 5 mins at the registrar, so that if i ever get the motivation to actually do something with them, i dont have to wait hours on end for the dns to update, I just point the A record to one of the servers.

• Updating an A record on your local DNS is almost instant, changing name servers with your registar takes time for propagation. A records are what you want for what you're doing.

• @RickBakkr said:
    Many people tend to forget also configuring AAAA (IPv6) which SHOULD BE in place by default at many shared hosters. Furthermore...

I use only AAAAAAAAAaAaaaaaaaaaaaA..! records.
    They can be heard from the most distance.

• This question doesn't really make sense... Any domain accessible via IPv4 has an A record.