Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 15
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @xaoc said:

Takes 10 sec to recreate both instances from the boot volumes... Why so lazy?

No thanks. These are toy services. I'd rather pay and sleep well at nights :)

• My instance still up and running, but they deleted the public IP......

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

My instances were also terminated without warning and they weren't idling.

Disks were preserved, but I'm done with it.

Thanked by 2kkrajk 479555
  • dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited December 2019

Hello, Everybody

We're tracking an internal incident related to this, our apologies for disrupted service.

I have a question for all of you: do you have the boot volumes still available that were previously used by those instances? (Menu > Compute > Boot Volumes)

Regards

Source

Thanked by 2NanoG6 479555
  • Mine were deleted too (90 days). Boot volumes still there.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited December 2019

@dragon1993 said:
    We're tracking an internal incident

• How do you do the network Reconfigure? I couldn't find that option

• Same. Deleted without any notices. This is a joke. I will never use their paid service.

I still have the boot volumes, try to create a new instance with it. Got a new IP but I can not login. So I just deleted all. I am glad I don't have important data on it.

• dragon1993 said: We're tracking an internal incident related to this

A kinky internal incident it must have been.

They probably didn't realize how much people would sign up for Always free so these, ahem, incidents are bound to happen once in a while until everybody gives up.

Speaking of inactivity, so I've recreated an instance, loggin' in:

Last login: Tue Dec 17 09:40:07 2019

Thanked by 1479555
  • I'm thinking that they ran out of ipv4s and just scrapped everyone that had an expired trial. Good way to get rid of a bunch of idlers i suppose.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

vaviloff said: Speaking of inactivity, so I've recreated an instance

The inactivity discussion was about logging in to their control panel, they do not care if you login to your VPS or not.

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

Haha. You get what you pay for I guess! I would have never trusted Oracle in the first place. Oracle and "free" is a oxymoron.

Thanked by 1commercial
  • Mine's unsullied, but only signed up 10 days ago:

ubuntu@ubuntu1804:~$ uptime
     18:22:08 up 10 days, 20:38,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

• I just got this..

Oracle Cloud Infrastructure Customer,

We have identified that you experienced an unexpected termination of the free tier Compute instance(s) listed below. The boot volume is preserved to ensure data is not lost, and we are currently working to restore the instance(s) on your behalf.

For immediate restoration you can create a new instance from the preserved boot volume by following the steps below:

1. From the main menu in the Oracle console, select 'Compute > Boot Volumes'
    2. Select the volume of your terminated instance
    3. Select ‘Create Instance’

Note: A new OCID and Public IP address will be assigned when launching a new instance

Thanked by 2vimalware PandaRain
  • alvinalvin Member
    edited December 2019

Want to become a mainstream cloud service provider but it seem like small-minded.... can't compare the other three major cloud services in now these behaviors.

Hope they can continue to improve their deficiencies so that they can be compared with other provider.

• So, here comes the prod event notifications telling what has happened and what the customer side can do to recover the service, but it looks Oracle may provide something else, say why (it happened) and some sort of guarantee that such mistake won't happen again. I don't think it's a machine glitch or break-down, but rather some carelessness in operation, or some tech trainee's mistake.

• Good on Oracle to teach us what cloud is.

Somebody else's computer.

Thanked by 3punder kkrajk tux
  • I feel like someone at Oracle suggested a small beta test before ramping up, and their boss is a believer in teaching how to swim by dropping person in deep end of the pool with the occasional foot on the head.

Well, restore went fast, no issues.
    Still its annoying.

edited December 2019

We have finished restoring the Compute instance(s) listed in this notification that were incorrectly terminated.

During recovery, we identified that there were changes already made to your environment. As a result we have taken no further action, to prevent unwanted impact to your tenancy.

Preliminary Root Cause:

An automatic cleanup that removes Compute instances from terminated accounts incorrectly identified one or more of your free tier instances as being eligible for termination.

Thanked by 1479555
  • punderpunder Member
    edited December 2019

WTF they just terminated my account without any apparent reason:

Hello XXX,
    Thank you for using Oracle Cloud Services. Your (Cloud Account: XXXX) terminated on . However, it would be a pleasure to serve you in the near future. We can be reached at cloud.oracle.com.

This is what I see when I try to log in:

Your account has been disabled due to either tenant/user disable operation.

The strange thing is that I received the email 2h ago and my instances are still running.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Neoon said:
    We have finished restoring the Compute instance(s) listed in this notification that were incorrectly terminated.

During recovery, we identified that there were changes already made to your environment. As a result we have taken no further action, to prevent unwanted impact to your tenancy.

Preliminary Root Cause:

An automatic cleanup that removes Compute instances from terminated accounts incorrectly identified one or more of your free tier instances as being eligible for termination.

Same here, I tried to create a new instance from the boot volume of that instance, as suggested in a previous mail from Oracle, but the option is grayed out.

I tried to contact them but the support section is a convoluted clusterfuck.

Oracle is the worst.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @479555 said:
    Oracle is the worst.

Where can I buy that T-shirt?

• @daxterfellowes said:
    So I haven't been able to create any instances in AD-2 in the US West (Phoenix) region. I can create them in AD-1/3 but not 2. Finally decided to call Oracle support up and generate a sev 2 ticket for it (they'll only respond during business hours for it anyways). Was an interesting experience but I want to get down to the root cause...

Away from us-west,korea(maybe japan).You know those guys who install shadowsocks prefer these locations.
    They have automatic VM creating scripts running all day so I don't think you can beat those script bots.

• So all of my accounts survived - but two of my instances that run Bitwarden (web and MySQL respectively) were terminated. I had to recreate with the boot volume but the IPs had obviously changed and for whatever reason I could not get in with the root access I had. Was not able to VNC to a grub bootloader for recovery (but did learn a lot about that console access). In the end after recreating instances twice and recovery data initially I was able to restore it. With that said, I've setup cross master - master Bitwarden instances since Oracle cloud is not bulletproof. But with $free.99, I can't complain much...

• I seen some dumb shit, but using free resources for anything critical takes the cake man.

• Cost analysis use wrong network units.
    It's TB/mo not GB/mo

• @dragon1993 said:
    Cost analysis use wrong network units.
    It's TB/mo not GB/mo

I think you are correct. Maybe a coding error. The daily "Usage report" records raw bytes.

usage/consumedQuantity  usage/billedQuantity    usage/consumedQuantityUnits usage/consumedQuantityMeasure
    159421                  159421                  BYTES                       DATA_TRANSFERRED
    1672297                 1672297                 BYTES                       DATA_TRANSFERRED

• Starting to wonder wtf these guys are up to.

Theyre not winning any brownie points by killing everyone's stuff. I doubt they are inspiring any businesses to move. Key pieces like billing seem broken

Its like someone decreed were doing cloud stuff now and they just winged it

• Just > @havocx said:

Starting to wonder wtf these guys are up to.

Theyre not winning any brownie points by killing everyone's stuff. I doubt they are inspiring any businesses to move. Key pieces like billing seem broken

Its like someone decreed were doing cloud stuff now and they just winged it

I'm sure that some poor overworked lad got their arse fired for this...