Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could anyone help with getting an IPv6 address configured on my hosthatch VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could anyone help with getting an IPv6 address configured on my hosthatch VPS?

I have a hosthatch vps and have requested IPv6. In the web interface for my VPS, I see an IPv6 Block and clicked the + so an IPv6 address is showing.

I've configured that address/mask and the default gateway on my CentOS 7 system, but whenever I try a ping6, I don't get any response, even from the default GW.

Comments

• Have you tried contacting HostHatch?

Thanked by 3ITLabs uptime ViridWeb
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Not sure it's been said before, but have you tried contacting HostHatch?

• Have you ever tried to contact HostHatch?

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

HostHatch can probably assist with this.

• If I was you I'd contact HostHatch.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Haha, don’t bother to contact your provide as LET support is 100 times faster and you be able to write a negative feedback about your provider as they not be able to guess your issue on your VPS account. :smiley:

• @skidmark - just for the lulz, let's check result of ip -6 route and compare notes.

What is the location of your HostHatch VPS?

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Dump em all in /etc/network/interfaces :)

But yeah, you should reach out to support - even though they may take a day or two to reply ;)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime

root@local:~# ip -6 route
    fe80::/64 dev enp2s0f0 proto kernel metric 100 pref medium
    fe80::/64 dev wlp3s0 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
    default via fe80::/64 contact HostHatch
    root@local:~# 

• thedp said: /etc/network/interfaces

except OP is dealing with centOS not Debian so I dunno ... might be something more to do with /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 - possibly "properly" setup via nmcli (not sure, I don't mess with centOS very much)

more general point to be aware of is - I've noticed IPv6 setup can be a bit fiddly if expecting all the bits to fall into place from config when booting - so sometimes might have an 'ifup' clause that works better to set gateway in the /etc/network/interfaces (or whatever). And different providers have various IPv6 setups so it hasn't been obvious (to me at least) what the "canonical" universally correct way is.

what I often do when in doubt is install from a provider's template for debugging, then for future reference make note of the network configs once all that's working.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • Is this a machine with local networking? Perhaps you put it on the wrong interface?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @skorous said:
    Is this a machine with local networking? Perhaps you put it on the wrong interface?

The VPS has eth0 and lo, I added the address on eth0. Not sure what local networking is.

• ifconfig shows the address correctly under eth0, but the default gw is not reachable with ping6. IPv4 is working properly. I purchased the VPS through a special offer, so I didn't think it came with support.

• PilzbaumPilzbaum Member
    edited October 2019

Have you received your IPv6 subnet already? If you've got yours, I have added my subnet to my London location with this configuration in the /etc/networking/interfaces file:
    (Can't get formatting to work from mobile)

allow-hotplug ens3
    iface ens3 inet dhcp

iface ens3 inet6 static
    address 2a0e:****
    netmask 64

Note that I don't need a gateway for IPv6. Additionally, you might need to reboot.
    Hope this could help.

• @Skidmark said:
    ifconfig shows the address correctly under eth0, but the default gw is not reachable with ping6. IPv4 is working properly. I purchased the VPS through a special offer, so I didn't think it came with support.

They're not going to manage your server for you but they'll answer a question like this. Did you use a /64 for the subnet mask?

You could also try clicking the Reconfigure button at the bottom.

• Pilzbaum said: I have added my subnet to my London location with this configuration in the /etc/networking/interfaces file:

He's running CentOS. It's a different animal.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

@Skidmark Have you completely power cycled (shutdown & power on) your VM after you have added the new IPv6 address in the control panel? With HostHatch IPs are only added to the firewall on the host node upon VM boot. If you miss that you won't have any IPv6 connectivity from your VPS.

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @dfroe said:
    @Skidmark Have you completely power cycled (shutdown & power on) your VM after you have added the new IPv6 address in the control panel? With HostHatch IPs are only added to the firewall on the host node upon VM boot. If you miss that you won't have any IPv6 connectivity from your VPS.

I just did (as well as clicked on the Reconfigure Networking button that took a while and resturned a something went wrong error) and now it's working! Thanks for all your help!

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I'm not sure if this has been said yet, but have you contacted hosthatch?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Don't think he ever did. After all, he had LET support crew.

• Just wondering whether anyone has mentioned Hetzner yet

• I'm also trying to get IPv6 running on my London storage VPS but didn't succeed yet. Ticket has been open for two months now but support was not very helpful since I've installed the VM from ISO and not from their template. Any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

/etc/network/interfaces:

iface ens3 inet6 static
      address 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2
      netmask 48
      gateway 2a0e:dc0:5::1

ens3 is up:

2: ens3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 state UP qlen 1000
        inet6 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2/48 scope global 
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 fe80::216:3cff:fe9b:a669/64 scope link
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Routing looks ok:

2a0e:dc0:5::/48 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
    fe80::/64 proto kernel metric 256 pref medium
    default via 2a0e:dc0:5::1 metric 1024 pref medium

However, I can't ping the gateway:

# ping6 2a0e:dc0:5::1
    PING 2a0e:dc0:5::1(2a0e:dc0:5::1) 56 data bytes
    From 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2 icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable

The corresponding tcpdump only show this, no responses:

13:17:23.953004 IP6 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2 > ff02::1:ff00:1: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has 2a0e:dc0:5::1, length 32

When I try to ping my VM from another host, the only packets I see in tcpdump are:

13:18:40.279383 IP6 2a0e:dc0:5::1 > ff02::1:ff00:2: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2, length 32
    13:18:40.279723 IP6 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2 > 2a0e:dc0:5::1: ICMP6, neighbor advertisement, tgt is 2a0e:dc0:5:25::2, length 32

I also see other hosts looking for 2a0e:dc0:5::1

13:17:31.658898 IP6 2a0e:dc0:5:14::2019:af0f > ff02::1:ff00:1: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has 2a0e:dc0:5::1, length 32
    13:44:32.173509 IP6 2a0e:dc0:5:2::2 > ff02::1:ff00:1: ICMP6, neighbor solicitation, who has 2a0e:dc0:5::1, length 32

Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Is there anybody who has this running in London?

• ottmi said: I'm also trying to get IPv6 running on my London storage VPS but didn't succeed yet. Ticket has been open for two months now but support was not very helpful since I've installed the VM from ISO and not from their template. Any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

This is going to be interesting

• ottmi said: I'm also trying to get IPv6 running on my London storage VPS but didn't succeed yet. Ticket has been open for two months now but support was not very helpful since I've installed the VM from ISO and not from their template. Any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

Install OS using their template, check the network, if working, copy /etc/network/interfaces, then install from ISO...

• skorousskorous Member
    edited December 2019

ottmi said: gateway 2a0e:dc0:5::1

Sorry, I can't read.

• @webdev said:

ottmi said: I'm also trying to get IPv6 running on my London storage VPS but didn't succeed yet. Ticket has been open for two months now but support was not very helpful since I've installed the VM from ISO and not from their template. Any help from the forum would be much appreciated.

Install OS using their template, check the network, if working, copy /etc/network/interfaces, then install from ISO...

This isn't practical if OP has already uploaded data to it.

• Indeed, that's a 3TB storage box :wink:

• @ottmi said:
    Indeed, that's a 3TB storage box :wink:

What I would suggest is to ask the provider if they can supply you with a new system that you can try IPv6 on for free for a short time. If it is template installed and you can get IPv6 to work then you can try to apply the settings to your existing box.

• ottmi said: Does anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Your configuration seems okay. I don't think it's your fault. That's exactly the same symptom as my Chicago storage server had two months ago. Well on the bright side, @Abdullah said they will improve their support from the beginning of 2020 and that's only 10 days to go.

• ottmiottmi Member
    edited December 2019

@rchurch Honestly, that seems to much effort for both parties just to get IPv6 running. Their control panel provides some detail on how to configure it manually and that only mentions address, netmask, and gateway. If anything else is required that should just be added there.

@psb777 Thanks for your feedback. I've read about IPv6 issues with their Chicago service but nobody ever mentioned London. Has this issue been resolved for your VPS after the recent maintenance?