Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Standalone email service for different domain name?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Standalone email service for different domain name?

My business has an old domain name that is long, 18 characters. We currently use that domain name for email. I use Virtualmin to host the domain on a server. About a year ago, I bought a 5 letter domain that is an acronym of the long domain name. I've been thinking about trying to create an email only service with this domain that I could use in parallel to the emails we currently have. We could then slowly start switching over to the email from the shorter domain name. The idea is to make it easier on our customers to email us.

I see a few providers on here that offer email only services. Would my idea work with this type of service? If you were me, what would you do to create this email only service, buy a service or create and host your own? I have enough capacity on the dedicated server that hosts the longer domain name.

Comments

• Isn't this just emial forwarding?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • If your current infrastructure can handle your email use, you could just add your domain to it. However, if that dedi is just responsible for emails and nothing else, I'll just ditch that dedi and go to MXroute @jar

• You could use mxroute for both domains and configure the new one as a domain alias of the old one. Emails would then go to the same mailbox, regardless of the domain your customers use. That's at least a feature on the old cpanel based plans, not sure whether the same exists on DA.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • alentoalento Member, Host Rep

ottmi said: That's at least a feature on the old cpanel based plans, not sure whether the same exists on DA.

it does ... I forget the name they use, but it is there.

• +1 for mxroute.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012
  • mxroute is life changer . highly recommended.

Thanked by 1MTUser2012