Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

centos 8 with directadmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

centos 8 with directadmin

mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Hi
My server runs on centos 7 with plesk , I am planning to migrate to centos 8 with directadmin
My questions are:
is directadmin good at security?
Should I stay on centos 7 or migrate to centos 8 ?
Best regards

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

DirectAdmin is prem, we use it and we've had no issues with it.

We are currently running CentOS 7 and I think it does work with CentOS 8. If not they are beta testing it. But not 100% sure on that one.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • marvelmarvel Member
    edited December 2019

Having no DirectAdmin or Plesk is always more secure.

I'd probably wait with CentOS 8 btw, you can use it but it just came out. I would just stick with 7 for now if you need stability and good support

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

Well Web Pros aka Plesk has just been "sold" so maybe they will up the prices again?

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

WebProject said: Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

>
    Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase , also my server provider offers directadmin lifetime license for 69 euro
    who guarantees that plesk won't change prices in the future?

@mustafamw3 said:

WebProject said: Plesk more prem than DA, as DA became popular due to cPanel increased prices for their control panel.

>
    Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase , also my server provider offers directadmin lifetime license for 69 euro
    who guarantees that plesk won't change prices in the future?

Well, there are plenty of providers who offer DA for free. There are no guarantees that Plesk won't up their prices. They've just been sold, so I'm guessing someone is gonna want to get their money back at some point.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

@marvel said:
    Having no DirectAdmin or Plesk is always more secure.

I'd probably wait with CentOS 8 btw, you can use it but it just came out. I would just stick with 7 for now if you need stability and good support

It's fine, I run a few websites on it across a few servers, including for ExtraVM.

Edit: Talking about no control panel, I don't know about DirectAdmin for CentOS 8.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3

@MikeA is prem...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2019

mustafamw3 said: Atleast directadmin offers protection against price increase

their protection is on sales page only, so if someone decide to update the sales page, your protection will disappear as nothing state about protection against price increase in their terms and condition, with 30 days/month contract like they do anyone can offers protection against price increase as it's for 30 days only and not lifetime.

My point is that the DA wasn't popular till the cPanel increase the prices, if tomorrow cPanel do reverse on their prices and go back to old style prices, I bet you that everyone jumps back without a single hesitation.

Thanked by 1mustafamw3
  • I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

WebProject said: their protection is on sales page only, so if someone decide to update the sales page, your protection will disappear as nothing state about protection against price increase in their terms and condition, with 30 days/month contract like they do anyone can offers protection against price increase as it's for 30 days only and not lifetime.

My point is that the DA wasn't popular till the cPanel increase the prices, if tomorrow cPanel do reverse on their prices and go back to old style prices, I bet you that everyone jumps back without a single hesitation.

I agree

DennisdeWit said: I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

>
    I am currently running centos 8 , it works without issues for now .

• @DennisdeWit said:
    I ran DirectAdmin on CentOS 8. It worked fine, no significant issues. But mod_ruid2 is broken.

Is that a fixable error? Or need to contact DirectAdmin support?