Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 14
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• @rm_ said:

This is easy to get around by uploading your own boot image.

Maybe, but I didn't bother with it initially because there was no serial console (could be mistaken, but I think that has been added only some time later), so no way to find out why it doesn't boot, or to reconfigure network interfaces and such; secondly, this still entails deleting and recreating an instance, with a very high risk to not be able to create one anymore due to the "Out of host capacity" error.

There's a serial console over ssh. Compute -> Instances -> Instance details -> Console connections -> Create console connection.

Also you don't need to delete and recreate the instance. Just take it offline and re-do the boot volume by preparing it using VirtualBox. No risk. I'm about to re-partition mine to have a btrfs storage backend for LXC. I did this tutorial for CentOS 7 on a new VM, but not difficult to adjust it for an existing VM.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @o2bit said:
    Oracle Sucks

Thanks for your valuable insight. I don't know how this thread has managed to survive so long without it.

Thanked by 2Edmond Daniel15
  • @rm_ said:

Hope someday they will add Debian

I am running Debian on my Oracle free tier by following the steps specified at https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3022902/#Comment_3022902, and then upgrade from Debian 9 to 10 the normal way ( change all "stretch" to "buster" for the /etc/apt/source.list, then doing apt-get update -> upgrade -> dist-upgrade). But I can't monitor resource utilization (CPU, disk, etc.) within the Oracle control panel.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • One of their reps called up the other day for a feedback... and I mentioned lack of Debian as a big hindrance for the seasoned admins. The rep did convince this would be addressed soon :)

Thanked by 3tetech rm_ tux
  • Both my instances were stopped tonight without even an email :neutral:

Can they be restarted? All the buttons seem grayed out...

Thanked by 2kkrajk mycloud
  • dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited December 2019

@479555 said:
    Both my instances were stopped tonight without even an email :neutral:

It is with me. https://cloudcustomerconnect.oracle.com/posts/8a3a7d0d8c
    My VMs terminated, but boot volumes available.
    I recreated VMs from boot volumes.

• @479555 said:
    Both my instances were stopped tonight without even an email :neutral:

Mine too got terminated yesterday without any email/notice etc. but I was able to create fresh ones:

• CoffeeCoffee Member
    edited December 2019

Mine is terminated lol.

Edit: but now I can create new instances :hushed:

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2019

Mine run fine so far in Japan. What region are you (all?) in?

One weirdness I had the other day, my "public IP" disappeared, but was able to create a new one.

• About 6 hours ago, they terminated my two (not - idling) instances as well, although I seem to be able to create new ones. But I won't.

As if I don't have anything else to do in my life than setting up VMs... Completely fucked up service. My free Google Cloud mini-vm has a 4-year uptime - same uptime as my paid ones!

Thanks Oracle. I am waiting for your rep to call me again, it will be an interesting discussion!

Thanked by 2479555 kkrajk
    edited December 2019

I'm in Zurich region.
    I try contacted to support.
    Online chat said call they have limited access and i need call the HUB team on phone.
    I try, but i can't use phone support. (They ask unknown to me ID's)

@tdelenikas
    My VM's terminated at 2019-12-18 04:25 (CET)

• 479555479555 Member
    edited December 2019

@tdelenikas said:
    About 6 hours ago, they terminated my two (not - idling) instances as well, although I seem to be able to create new ones. But I won't.

Yeah, I won't bother as well, probably.

They should have at least sent a mail to notify the user.

Oracle just got upgraded from "just another tech firm" to "those f**kers that have awful and rude customer service and that have closed my two VPS without even bothering to send a freaking mail".

• my 2 instances still work for now. weird thou. giving away free resources for people to try and check out a platform and then fuck them in de butt like this by randomly deleting instances.. Great way introduce your services thou :disappointed:

Thanked by 1479555
  • Going back a few pages, there was a discussion about them requiring the service to be kept active by logging into the portal. Is there any common theme that people haven't logged in for X days before the instances get deleted?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

MY SWISS IS DEAD, fuck.

• tetech said: people haven't logged in for X days

I'm logging in almost everyday just to check if there's free resources available :grimace:

• @tdelenikas said:
    About 6 hours ago, they terminated my two (not - idling) instances as well, although I seem to be able to create new ones. But I won't.

As if I don't have anything else to do in my life than setting up VMs... Completely fucked up service. My free Google Cloud mini-vm has a 4-year uptime - same uptime as my paid ones!

Thanks Oracle. I am waiting for your rep to call me again, it will be an interesting discussion!

Takes 10 sec to recreate both instances from the boot volumes... Why so lazy?

• So like i`m noticing 2 CPUs instead of 1(not sure if it was 1) now?

• farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited December 2019

MeToo.

Reinstalled successfully (Frankfurt). Got different IPs.

BTW this is happening exactly 3 months after my registration date.
    I was NOT inactive (logged into panel and SSHed into instances recently) .

• @xaoc said:
    So like i`m noticing 2 CPUs instead of 1(not sure if it was 1) now?

both of my instances had 2 CPUs from the start.

• @tetech said:
    Going back a few pages, there was a discussion about them requiring the service to be kept active by logging into the portal. Is there any common theme that people haven't logged in for X days before the instances get deleted?

I don't think, too many VM terminated at the same time.

• Disabled mine too free hours ago. Pos service

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The joke is, I set up my smokeping, 2 weeks ago, means I logged in also into oracle.
    Can't be inactivity.

Thanked by 1dragon1993
  • @dragon1993 said:

@tetech said:
    Going back a few pages, there was a discussion about them requiring the service to be kept active by logging into the portal. Is there any common theme that people haven't logged in for X days before the instances get deleted?

I don't think, too many VM terminated at the same time.

Yes, most likely right, I just noticed that it is basically 90 days since this thread kicked off, and I'm wondering how many of the services were created 90 days ago.

edited December 2019

@Tripleflix said:

@xaoc said:

It's 2 thread, but don't got extra performance
    Single core score equals to multi core score

@tetech
    I certainly logged to account 20 day ago, because I wrote about it in the thread.

• Many people signed up exactly 3 months ago.
    Maybe 3 month age is a dangerous milestone.

• @dragon1993 said:

@Tripleflix said:

@xaoc said:

It's 2 thread, but don't got extra performance
    Single core score equals to multi core score

@tetech
    I certainly logged to account 20 day ago, because I wrote about it in the thread.

OK. Time since login not a good measure then. Wonder if there is a different definition of 'active', the 90-day thing seems a bit of a coincidence.

• @Tripleflix said:

@xaoc said:

Guess i`m blind then.

Did anyone outside of Europe get their VMs terminated?

• Yes i had in US Ashburn location,mine got deleted too :(

@xaoc said:

@Tripleflix said:

@xaoc said:

Guess i`m blind then.

Did anyone outside of Europe get their VMs terminated?

• bloodyprincebloodyprince Member
    edited December 2019

Same happened with me. Terminated my both instances (Us Ashburn) without any notices. Thanks god they didn't delete the disks. Just created new instances with the boot disks