Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IX traffic - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IX traffic

2»

Comments

• @at0mic thanks for sharing all of this. Really interesting to read your special requirements, a network engineers dream :smile:

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

@at0mic said:

And using traditional CDN like Akamai is damn expensive.

BunnyCDN has got you covered

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

at0mic said: And using traditional CDN like Akamai is damn expensive.

It can be expensive, but it's exactly what you are requesting: quality bandwidth with unlimited scalability and big but isolated peaks.

Using budget dedicated servers, you can manage those 5k 720p streams with $1k/month which is very reasonable imho.

A third option which I would use if I was desperate, would be to (ab)use DigitalOcean + Scaleway and hope that they don't ban me (which shouldn't happen with your numbers).

• at0micat0mic Member
    edited December 2019

@Nyr said:

It can be expensive, but it's exactly what you are requesting: quality bandwidth with unlimited scalability and big but isolated peaks.

True, you are absolutely right! If I were building a video product using VC money, I’d go this way! But building CDN is more challenging.
    >

Using budget dedicated servers, you can manage those 5k 720p streams with $1k/month which is very reasonable imho.

I managed to deliver such amount of traffic for less than $150

A third option which I would use if I was desperate, would be to (ab)use DigitalOcean + Scaleway and hope that they don't ban me (which shouldn't happen with your numbers).

That’s exactly what I did 🙂 abused DigitalOcean. I also tried using ultra-cheap VPSes as point edges, but it did not work out well.

FYI: cheap $10 Atom dedi can pass through about 800mbps, limiting in CPU.

• fpmagicfpmagic Member
    edited December 2019

Its an odd case. Since your provider probably wants to load off as much of your traffic as possible on peering for their own cost savings, if you're using only transit in the a blend, they would be enticed to price you higher than a customer using their blend that includes peering.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @at0mic said:

@trewq said:
    Any provider worth working with will negotiate bandwidth pricing with you based on your transit/peering ratios. What you're trying to achieve here is possible but it doesn't sound like you're at the scale where it'd be worthwhile.

You are totally right, but I’ve worked in content delivery before and know how expensive hitting the roof can be. Especially with video.

Getting to know the options does not seem to be worthless.

You can contact www.first-root.com, they are connected to DEC-IX Düsseldorf, Hamburg and Munich and you might have the chance to connect to ECIX and similar as well.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

It seems to me that your real problem is a classical peak problem that is, you need high bandwidth only about 40 hrs/mo (2 weekend days at 5 hrs and (min) 1 TB/hour) plus a scale problem that is, 40 TB are more than many provider give you in total per month yet it is way too small to play even in the medium league.

About the only solution that is financially bearable (other than a CDN) I see for you is to find two (?) well connected providers, one in Europe and one in the USA who don't care much about how you use your bandwidth (e.g. in 4 "bursts" per month) and to rent a dedi with each that is well connected, e.g. 2 x 10 Gb (or even better).

I think that your approach to go for connectivity/bandwidth directly, e.g. via IXs, won't work out because the players in that field are in another league and consider your business too small fries. If you had enough money you could become a mid-size player and then resell what you don't need. If ...

Alternatively I'd look at BunnyCDN because they do have the critical mass needed -and- would be glad to serve you as a customer (I guess) which is the combination you need and which is hard to find.

• Does cloudflare and their network that have reduced bandwidth fees between cloudflare providers able to help him here somehow? Or because this is live stream and not cached, it's minimal benefit if any?

Or this is how he was able to use Digital Ocean for $150/month and serve 5K users?

• @TimboJones thanks for pointing out on the Cloudflare offer. 1000 minutes for $1 seems quite suspicious though. That would be a damn good offer if it included 4K videos, but when it comes to 720p it is quite the average.

Good thing about Cloudflare is they are present in many complicated regions, like Africa and South America. Having customers there it could be a very good fit.

They also have a very nice (though a bit outdated) article about Transit/IX traffic distribution in different regions

https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world/

Talking about $150/month. I used to stream 3mbps 720p videos, and with a cost of $0.005 per GB of traffic it fits perfectly into the numbers I specified. Worth mentioning: half a cent per GB is not the cheapest offer on the market

• Choosing the DC with good IX connection is right choice where they could basically helped you to connect. However there's still the cost involved. Quite many of them (especially in not so cheap internet bandwidth countries) sold them as "local bandwidth".

If your budget is pretty low, just go decent CDN in low end range or with dedi and 10Gbps port. The more you know about your audience location, the more cost effective that will be.

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Member, Patron Provider

We provide this normally for customers who do colocation in Seattle and New York.

As said from someone else on here you will need your ASN and everything to get linked up with it. We typically will vlan off one of our ports from our router and connect it up to you and pass along a fee for it.

This works quite well, we don't normally like doing this via dedicated servers itself as we have had a lot of scammers trying to get into exchanges.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

at0mic said: IX traffic is almost free.

Traffic might be but the monthly connection cost can be quite high. Likely higher than a peak user will be using to saturate the connection for short windows.

If your traffic requires the host to upgrade from say 10Gbps at IX to 100Gbps for your peaks that's cost that needs to be recouped. Hint: it's recouped against the bandwidth costs. Or more likely your prefix gets removed from the IX announcements.

Honestly you might be better with a local node with good Transit, not IX. Transit isnt that expensive these days. And on a large network where you won't be massively changing the 95th it's not going to make much of a difference.

If looking at the CDN route, you could perhaps reduce costs by serving major areas yourself and using a CDN service for the more difficult areas (i.e Asia & Africa).

Also don't forget bandwidth and hardware costs will only be a small portion of your costs. Competent management will cost far more.

Thanked by 1at0mic
  • anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

While IX traffic can often be cheaper than transit there is a lot of other factors.

Cross connects, transport if in another building and then theres the IX port fee

https://peering.exposed is a good look into the costs if port fees are publicly available

Thanked by 2ma2t at0mic
  • vserversitevserversite Member, Host Rep

Hi,

we can provide you VMs and Dedicated with Access to KleyReX + LocIX Frankfurt VLAN. Also possible for dedicated Servers.

https://vserver.site/de/bgpvm.html
    Feel free, to contact us.