Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo vs. SSD Nodes?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo vs. SSD Nodes?

HifihedgehogHifihedgehog Member
edited December 2019 in Requests

I have been using Contabo (with CyberPanel and OpenLiteSpeed to serve an array of websites) for just over a year now with great success and no downtime. I noticed SSD Nodes is offering a very juicy Black Friday/Cyber Monday price. However, I have heard varying reports on the uptime of their servers. What's your experience?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2019

Out of curiosity: Why do you want to change a (apparently stable) running system?

• HifihedgehogHifihedgehog Member
    edited December 2019

@Ympker said:
    Out of curiosity: Why do you want to change a (apparently stable) running system?

Geographical. Compared to Contabo in Germany, the latency should be better since I'm a US user. Plus the added headroom with the extra CPU performance, RAM allocation and SSD throughput would be quite nice.

Thanked by 2Ympker coreflux
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Personally, no experience with either.

If you're doing good where you are, then just stay there, for the sake comfort and ease of mind :smiley:

But if you do need to move, for whatever reason, be it cost or just an irresistible deal popped up and if you're prepared to migrate and consider the possibilities of unforeseen issues happening, then go ahead :joy:

• I've had ssdnodes for 2 years in Texas and just got an LA vps. Zero complaints. They're the one company I paid for 3 years because they don't seem to be going anywhere.

• SpeedTestSpeedTest Member
    edited December 2019

Hifihedgehog said: RAM allocation

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/161270/

don't be a fool

if you need the US, look at this deal https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/161361/

• seenuseenu Member
    edited December 2019

I was using DO to serve prod websites earlier, i was hesitant moving to SSDnodes (but their offer is so tempting) and its almost a year and i am very happy with their service.

on otherhand, contabo is great too.

but i want to warn you before moving: be ready to spend lot of time moving sites with cyberpanel.
    with regular ubuntu vps, moving is very easy....i find moving cyberpanel sites is very time consuming and doesn't worth the money you save.

i wrote a tutorial on how to move all sites using rsync and db but i faced some issues with it and if you try to move sites using their remote backup, it works well but there are 2 issues
    1. if you have large sites (size) then it takes lot of time to backup on remote server and restoring on new server
    2. they have some 45mins session for authenticated user so if your site is large....once those 45mins are lapsed, restoration will fail.... workaround is to, backup on first server, rsync to second server and then restore it on second server

if you do above way then it works well but time consuming,

if you try to do rsync to save time then be prepared to deal with LE certs.

actually i decided to move away from cyberpanel but it has some good features like mails so i am using cyberpanel for client sites who needs mail, dns etc and for my own sites....i moved them back to ubuntu vps.

PS: Don't get tempted with NVMe offers in SSDNodes...stick to SSD plans...i don't see much difference between two (ofcourse price wise too)

Protip: if you are hosting static sites...better move them to netlify and you will never look back (as long as your total sites won't use bw more than 100gb/m)

• Long back when I had a vps with ssdnodes, everything was good except support( waiting 1-2 days for a ticket reply). Hope its improved now.

• I have been with SSDnodes for 4 yrs. Zero downtime. The only problem is even if you pay for 32gb RAM, you will get only 4-5gb. Your system will show 32 gb, but seems they have some cronjob to delete RAM cache once cache reaches 4-5gb. They fool customers with big RAM offers.

• I can pipe in with my experiences:

• Their customer service is horrible. Long respond times, and they don't honor their "refund" policy. Also, be warned that by "refund", they mean credit, not a refund of your purchase back to you
    • If you reinstall an OS, they wipe your VNC connectivity and any backups you may have had
    • They insist that they don't allow console access. Many times. Keep raising tickets. Eventually Arun may respond and give it to you. Depending on his mood perhaps.
    • They only have a small handful of base installs to install for you
    • They refuse to do custom iso installs
    • They insist that you install kvm-tools in your VPS. Or else they will throttle you.
    • Their "service control panel" is a buggy, somewhat non-intuitive customized mess

I will not be renewing any of my services with them.

I can't speak to their uptimes, but I will say my seat of the pants impression is the filesystems are very fast. So is their network.

Thanked by 2uptime vimalware
  • They? Contabo? SSD Nodes? or both?

• it must be ssdnodes

• @seenu said:
    I was using DO to serve prod websites earlier, i was hesitant moving to SSDnodes (but their offer is so tempting) and its almost a year and i am very happy with their service.

on otherhand, contabo is great too.

but i want to warn you before moving: be ready to spend lot of time moving sites with cyberpanel.
    with regular ubuntu vps, moving is very easy....i find moving cyberpanel sites is very time consuming and doesn't worth the money you save.

i wrote a tutorial on how to move all sites using rsync and db but i faced some issues with it and if you try to move sites using their remote backup, it works well but there are 2 issues
    1. if you have large sites (size) then it takes lot of time to backup on remote server and restoring on new server
    2. they have some 45mins session for authenticated user so if your site is large....once those 45mins are lapsed, restoration will fail.... workaround is to, backup on first server, rsync to second server and then restore it on second server

if you do above way then it works well but time consuming,

if you try to do rsync to save time then be prepared to deal with LE certs.

actually i decided to move away from cyberpanel but it has some good features like mails so i am using cyberpanel for client sites who needs mail, dns etc and for my own sites....i moved them back to ubuntu vps.

PS: Don't get tempted with NVMe offers in SSDNodes...stick to SSD plans...i don't see much difference between two (ofcourse price wise too)

Protip: if you are hosting static sites...better move them to netlify and you will never look back (as long as your total sites won't use bw more than 100gb/m)

Thank you and thanks everyone! To be clear, my question is more out of curiosity that anything. I am also looking into an alternative server location for redundancy more than anything. I would have no issues doing a migration since I backup my WordPress sites nightly and have done restores before like a fire drill of sorts to simulate a restore procedure. No issues there.

• @iHavenoName said:
    I've had ssdnodes for 2 years in Texas and just got an LA vps. Zero complaints. They're the one company I paid for 3 years because they don't seem to be going anywhere.

How fast is upload and download speeds? Since I operate a Contabo server, I have noticed geography adds quite a bit of latency though LSCache and OpenLiteSpeed help alleviate that problem a lot.

• SyntatsSyntats Member
    edited January 2020

Hi there, I would suggest staying away from ssdnodes. I was a customer of ssdnodes for 4 years, and over this time I have spent about a thousand dollars on their servers. 4 years ago, their services had very little downtime, and amazing performance in every respect. However since this time, the performance of their vps' have seen a large and steady decline, to the point where their services are no longer useful to me even for trivial tasks.

There is also substantial downtime nowadays.

This is representative of a typical 24 hour period.
    The memory usage graph simply cuts out when the server is down and so this is what I used to track downtime (back when I still had servers with them).

The downtime, although very problematic for some tasks, was not the most concerning factor about ssdnodes for me; it was the dishonesty of the staff. I don't mind sharing (at the risk of my large number of remaining credits) that my main reason for leaving was because of what happened when I asked them to "upgrade" my servers to the new packages which they were now offering. In the process of upgrading my servers which were performing "good enough" at the time, they quietly moved me over to a datacenter in a completely different location without telling me. It took me a couple days before I realized it, I told support that I am not interested in being relocated to a new datacenter, and it took a couple of days but they did move me back to my previous location. They offered no assistance with this, they could/would not transfer my data over, I had to spend even more time setting up the servers again. And finally, when I had finished setting up my servers in the new location, the performance was so abysmal on these "upgraded" servers that there was absolutely no point in keeping them.

To give you an idea of how bad it was, it was taking about 5 seconds on average to cd to a new directory. I tested my services just in case it was only an ssh problem but this was not the case, the cpu and disk performance were both just the worst I've ever experienced, and I've used some really cheap and shit hosting before. I was noticing the same issue at the alternate datacenter that they put me on as well, but at the time I just thought it was network congestion on my home ISP's end; it was not. As I had this same experience with 2 of their locations, it is not just a problem associated with one specific node, it is likely that all of their newly provisioned servers are like this. Whatever the reason may be, if you have a working server with ssdnodes, do not make any action which would cause it to be re-provisioned (i.e. upgrade), or you may not have a usable server afterwards.

Support refunded me only in store credits, which are worthless now since the servers are worthless (at least for me). I asked a couple times in a support ticket for a refund of real money, to which they have still not responded. That was over 6 months ago.

There were plenty of other red flags that should have tipped me off but this is the situation that ended up doing it for me. To reiterate, I do not recommend dealing with ssdnodes at all, but if you choose to do so, go through paypal so you have a chance at a refund just in case they decide to ignore you.

• Perhaps Virmach is better than ssdnodes. Looks like a huge balloon

• pkrpkr Member

@Syntats said:
    Hi there, I would suggest staying away from ssdnodes.

Lately, SSDNodes has become pathetic. They claim that their performance VPS has NVme, but disk speed is 300-400 MB/s. Also, they are selling very slow CPUs with all VPS. STAY AWAY

Thanked by 1miu
  • contabo is a hosting provider , it is basically originated from Germany. If you have less capital you can go for it. They offers an impressive price-to-performance ratio for their best selling products. SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider.
    SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider. Their VPS platform merges speed, simplicity and resiliency which grow up the business and develops the fruitful experience on web. You can also take server from any manage server provider

• @cloudminister said:
    contabo is a hosting provider , it is basically originated from Germany. If you have less capital you can go for it. They offers an impressive price-to-performance ratio for their best selling products. SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider.
    SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider. Their VPS platform merges speed, simplicity and resiliency which grow up the business and develops the fruitful experience on web. You can also take server from any manage server provider

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla eu euismod nibh. Proin urna leo, sodales in elit vel, placerat tempor tellus. Phasellus sodales ipsum sem, quis pellentesque augue convallis at. Curabitur porta est justo, at pharetra arcu tincidunt convallis. Mauris quis rhoncus nisi, ut ultrices ex. Integer blandit dictum nulla, vel congue diam rutrum sollicitudin. Duis sagittis tortor sit amet nulla volutpat lacinia. Ut eu ex in nisl molestie tempor varius eu velit. Donec tincidunt odio vel neque imperdiet fringilla. Morbi sit amet nibh vitae nunc sollicitudin fringilla. Phasellus vel purus tincidunt, posuere enim vel, tempus mauri

• @cybertech said:

@cloudminister said:
    contabo is a hosting provider , it is basically originated from Germany. If you have less capital you can go for it. They offers an impressive price-to-performance ratio for their best selling products. SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla eu euismod nibh. Proin urna leo, sodales in elit vel, placerat tempor tellus. Phasellus sodales ipsum sem, quis pellentesque augue convallis at. Curabitur porta est justo, at pharetra arcu tincidunt convallis. Mauris quis rhoncus nisi, ut ultrices ex. Integer blandit dictum nulla, vel congue diam rutrum sollicitudin. Duis sagittis tortor sit amet nulla volutpat lacinia. Ut eu ex in nisl molestie tempor varius eu velit. Donec tincidunt odio vel neque imperdiet fringilla. Morbi sit amet nibh vitae nunc sollicitudin fringilla. Phasellus vel purus tincidunt, posuere enim vel, tempus mauri

LOL

• cloudminister said: SSD nodes is a cloud hosting provider. Their VPS platform merges speed, simplicity and resiliency which grow up the business and develops the fruitful experience on web.

WTF?

Please don't miss breakfast.

Thanked by 2angstrom ViridWeb
  • I got yer fruitful experience on the web hanging right here friendo

• The minister has given their speech.

Thanked by 1uptime