Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll. OVH or Hetzner. What would you choose? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll. OVH or Hetzner. What would you choose?

Comments

• I like them both, but my favourite will be ovh. I can’t tell you why, as i have approx the same specs(9900k/3700x on hetz and 2288G on ovh). Yes, I pay for ovh 2 times more, but also getting 10/2 port.

Maybe it’s only my feelings, but sometimes ovh looks like faster.

• Hetzner. And there's so many reasons for that.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

I just think both of them should start deploying in NL :joy:

• @thedp said:
    I just think both of them should start deploying in NL :joy:

With unmetered bandwidth😂

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

OVH Ticket support has been amazing for me this week, simple monitoring issues solved within hours over ticket, they even logged in.

• Hetzner. Torrent friendly.

• @creep said:
    Hetzner. Torrent friendly.

uhhhhhhhhh

Thanked by 2pike MrPsycho
  • When the poll ends I am going to get a dedicated server from the one who have most votes.

• @ps20090 said:
    OVH peering is just great, Hetzner is awful. For Hetzner I need to add cloudflare so it loads website faster.

It all depends on where you are. For me Hetzner is a lot better in terms of bandwidth than OVH, but I’m in The Netherlands. OVH has an extensive own network which makes it possible to directly peer with a large number of ISP’s whereas Hetzner’s network is limited to Europe. They rely on transit for overseas.

Thanked by 1DennisdeWit
  • MaybeYourTurnMaybeYourTurn Member
    edited December 2019

@debaser said:

@ps20090 said:
    OVH peering is just great, Hetzner is awful. For Hetzner I need to add cloudflare so it loads website faster.

It all depends on where you are. For me Hetzner is a lot better in terms of bandwidth than OVH, but I’m in The Netherlands. OVH has an extensive own network which makes it possible to directly peer with a large number of ISP’s whereas Hetzner’s network is limited to Europe. They rely on transit for overseas.

I think If hetz would have more dc location, they would win in all positions.

@MaybeYourTurn said:
    I think If hetz would have more dc location, they would win in all positions.

Nobody's perfect :D

• @creep said:
    Hetzner. Torrent friendly.

LOL

• French vs German :)

• OVH, unlike Hetzner they have expanded out of Europe

• @MikeA said:

@thedp said:

@MikeA said:
    Doubt. It's been like this for 2~ years or so. Understaffed and continuing expanding

IIRC, you're now able to pay for 'support' right? Has anyone ever gone that way?

Generally, you shouldn't have to pay a provider to read a ticket to fix critical issues that hinder the usability of a service.

I saw a paid support option before, but it was only on a certain regions site (France or UK I think?) and the order links didn't work for US clients last I saw. So it wasn't meant for mass rollout anyways.

I just received a response to a billing ticket today.... 49 days after I raised it :)

edited December 2019

@tester4 said:
    I just received a response to a billing ticket today.... 49 days after I raised it :)

Gotta love OVH Support :love: :joy:

• Both for locations

• Hetzner > Support = Fast and show HUMANITY!
    OVH > Support = Slow or Always no response DI*KS!

Hetzner won for most cases except they are only in DE and FI.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hetzner wins.

@jsg said:
    debian

thx

• XeiXei Member
    edited December 2019

Ovh vps line was always virtually unusable (odd general slowness, poor connectivity). I've never tried since they opened up UK DC (also tried another new DC idr which). Was a trainwreck. They claimed issues fixed after I left.. I have a hard time believing it's half decent.

• @Xei said:
    Ovh vps line was always virtually unusable (odd general slowness, poor connectivity). I've never tried since they opened up UK DC (also tried another new DC idr which). Was a trainwreck. They claimed issues fixed after I left.. I have a hard time believing it's half decent.

OVH VPS is bad indeed it's better to rent from resellers that run KVM on OVH Dedis like Autovm.com and Extravm.com

OVH Public cloud is not so great either, especially the 250 mbps bandwidth limits and high prices.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Hi everyone, I'm obviously biased, so I won't vote in the poll. But thanks for the feedback. --Katie

• @Hetzner_OL said:
    Hi everyone, I'm obviously biased, so I won't vote in the poll. But thanks for the feedback. --Katie

I wanna also say thank you for your awesome services!

• emreemre Member, LIR

Hetzner_OL said: Hi everyone, I'm obviously biased, so I won't vote in the poll. But thanks for the feedback. --Katie

for the 1.000.000th time I am writing again:

I want BYOIP on hetzner

I want to be able to use my own ip blocks using Hetzner servers.

Whether it's doing BGP like vultr or You announce my ips I dont care.

If I can use my own blocks of ip on Hetzner I will today buy at least 5000 Euro Worth of servers from you.

Thank you So much!

• @emre said:

Hetzner_OL said: Hi everyone, I'm obviously biased, so I won't vote in the poll. But thanks for the feedback. --Katie

for the 1.000.000th time I am writing again:

I want BYOIP on hetzner

I want to be able to use my own ip blocks using Hetzner servers.

Whether it's doing BGP like vultr or You announce my ips I dont care.

If I can use my own blocks of ip on Hetzner I will today buy at least 5000 Euro Worth of servers from you.

Thank you So much!

Write them a message. BGP is usually just available for colocation. But I believe they work something out for 'big' customers.

• OVH used to be far superior to Hetzner but now they are probably around equal.

OVH used to be cheap/cheaper and have better support, but now it is worse on both aspects. The hardware is now more expensive and support is absolutely awful in terms of time and expertise. The only thing OVH has over Hetzner now is locations.

The worst part about Hetzner was that they had 0 ddos protection and would leave you null routed for days. I don't know how good Hetzner's ddos protection is now, but at least they have it now. They were probably forced to spend money on it after OVH did it first.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

blackjack4494 said: BGP is usually just available for colocation.

To the best of my knowledge, this is true: https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Spezielle_Angebote/en

@emre I'll try to pass this on to the right colleague. I believe the reason that we haven't implemented it for our other products is because there hasn't been much demand for it. --Katie

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited December 2019

I don't like hosting any gameservers with Hetzner because each DDoS attack I receive, hetzner sends me an abuse message which requires my input. Imagine if I get 30 attacks per day. If I don't respond to one, my server gets suspended. @Hetzner_OL please change this policy or let us set default abuse response in case of DDoS Attack.

You would get tons of more customers if not for this.

• What Hetzner location would be closer to Cloudflare?

• tsofttsoft Member
    edited December 2019

Hetzner has great hardware, but the network is average, also, ddos protection sometimes blocks false-positively (if you use it in conjunction with cloudflare that would not be a problem).

OVH is great in every aspect, except, sometimes you get blacklisted IPs. Support is trash. That would be ok, however, they have increased prices recently, so I'm planning to move away.

I'm considering Clouvider, their new datacenters.