Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll. OVH or Hetzner. What would you choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poll. OVH or Hetzner. What would you choose?

MaybeYourTurnMaybeYourTurn Member
edited December 2019 in Help

Hey!

Just got curious. Who would you choose? OVH or Hetzner. Do not consider price range, support.

I think this is a interesting questions and we might get some good discussion out here :). Maybe some has own opinion with witch he would love to share!

Cheers!

Provider
  1. Witch one?183 votes
    1. OVH
      33.33%
    2. Hetzner
      59.56%
    3. Other
        7.10%

Comments

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Both depending on what I really needed.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

debian

• Depends what I need.

General stuff? Hetzner

Anything offshore I don't want to host on my own country or that is prone to abuse, OVH as they don't seem to mind about mild stuff.

• OVH. Hetzner routing not so great over the sea.

• @Jord said:

Share with us your opinion :).

I understand, that all depends on needs, share us for what you would choose OVH/Hetzner.

@MaybeYourTurn said:

@Jord said:

Share with us your opinion :).

I understand, that all depends on needs, share us for what you would choose OVH/Hetzner.

Hetzner if I need better support because OVH is SLOW.

OVH if I need a better network and bigger specs.

What I normally use, mostly my own hardware :joy:

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2019

Hetzner
    Pros:
    ~ Offering fast, newer hardware constantly
    ~ Great prices
    ~ Good support, always quick
    Cons:
    ~ Occasional network downtime every 2-4 days, despite only lasting a minute or two, it's still loss

OVH
    Pros:
    ~ Network uptime is great
    ~ Features are good regarding network firewalls, API management
    ~ They use datacenter drives in all servers
    Cons:
    ~ Shit support, sometimes 1-2 week wait on ticket replies
    ~ DDoS protection is one size fits all, so if there is a bypass or problem it can take 2-3 weeks to get a message forwarded to their VAC team
    ~ No flexibility on hardware even if you spend thousands of $$ a month since the whole company is automated
    ~ Routing issues can take months to fix
    ~ Often times new things (datacenters, hardware, IP features) get delayed by months or years

• @MikeA said:
    Hetzner
    Pros:
    ~ Offering fast, newer hardware constantly
    ~ Great prices
    ~ Good support, always quick
    Cons:
    ~ Occasional network downtime every 2-4 days, despite only lasting a minute or two, it's still loss

OVH
    Pros:
    ~ Network uptime is great
    ~ Features are good regarding network firewalls, API management
    ~ They use datacenter drives in all servers
    Cons:
    ~ Shit support, sometimes 1-2 week wait on ticket replies
    ~ DDoS protection is one size fits all, so if there is a bypass or problem it can take 2-3 weeks to get a message forwarded to their VAC team
    ~ No flexibility on hardware even if you spend thousands of $$ a month since the whole company is automated
    ~ Routing issues can take months to fix
    ~ Often times new things (datacenters, hardware, IP features) get delayed by months or years

Thank you! But I quite disagree about newer hardware from hetz. From my experience, OVH has great NVMe SSDs. (Samsung P982 if I’m right(datacenter edition)).

edited December 2019

Don't get me wrong I love Hetzner, I actually use them a lot more than OVH. But moving to my own hardware has done me good too. But I still use Hetzner/OVH. Plus a handful of other providers on LET too.

If you ever want a prem VM in Prague then @FHR has got you covered.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • MaybeYourTurn said: Do not consider price range, support.

Then on which criteria?

• Ovh only for APAC

• OVH peering is just great, Hetzner is awful. For Hetzner I need to add cloudflare so it loads website faster.

• @ps20090 said:
    OVH peering is just great, Hetzner is awful. For Hetzner I need to add cloudflare so it loads website faster.

To which location? I feel the hetzner peering to be better than ovh

• What would you choose, an Apple or an Orange?

• @ps20090 said:
    OVH peering is just great, Hetzner is awful. For Hetzner I need to add cloudflare so it loads website faster.

I’m from Baltic states and having the same peering with ovh/hetzner.

@marvel said:
    What would you choose, an Apple or an Orange?

Harman Kardon.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Hetzner. OVH has a lot of problems with their routers. Some IP addresses are DOA.

@MaybeYourTurn said:
    Thank you! But I quite disagree about newer hardware from hetz. From my experience, OVH has great NVMe SSDs. (Samsung P982 if I’m right(datacenter edition)).

I am talking about the other hardware, mainly CPUs and RAM. Hetzner is pretty much always faster releasing new hardware. OVH does use datacenter SSD, I mentioned it.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited December 2019

In recent events of BF and CM, Hetzner failed insanely hard, while OVH scored nice 'high 5' for that delicious SYS deal.

OVH > Hetzner. Fck.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

But really, isn't OVH gonna do something about support? They take so long to respond to tickets.

• @MikeA said:

@MaybeYourTurn said:

I am talking about the other hardware, mainly CPUs and RAM. Hetzner is pretty much always faster releasing new hardware. OVH does use datacenter SSD, I mentioned it.

With the right server, Hetzner does use Datacenter SSD too.

https://www.hetzner.de/dedicated-rootserver/px62-nvme

@thedp said:
    But really, isn't OVH gonna do something about support? They take so long to respond to tickets.

Doubt. It's been like this for 2~ years or so. Understaffed and continuing expanding instead of improving existing.

@DennisdeWit said:

@MikeA said:

@MaybeYourTurn said:

Yeah, I just haven't used any of the more expensive ones. The NVMe ones I do have I think are like "pro" versions, not cheap consumer but not expensive enterprise.

• @MikeA said:

@thedp said:

Doubt. It's been like this for 2~ years or so. Understaffed and continuing expanding instead of improving existing.

@DennisdeWit said:

@MikeA said:

@MaybeYourTurn said:

Yeah, I just haven't used any of the more expensive ones. The NVMe ones I do have I think are like "pro" versions, not cheap consumer but not expensive enterprise.

I have two PX62-NVMe's and they perform great. The SSD's are like 5 times as fast as the SSD's my other provider offers.

The only difference is the other provider is in Amsterdam, and Hetzner is in Falkenstein. I don't care much about it to be fair.

• Type your comment

• @MikeA said:

@MaybeYourTurn said:

Until it works how it should, it’s fine :)

@DennisdeWit said:

@MikeA said:

@thedp said:

@DennisdeWit said:

@MikeA said:

@MaybeYourTurn said:

I have two PX62-NVMe's and they perform great. The SSD's are like 5 times as fast as the SSD's my other provider offers.

The only difference is the other provider is in Amsterdam, and Hetzner is in Falkenstein. I don't care much about it to be fair.

I’m using both providers. Hetz for me has samsung and toshiba. Ovh Samsung datacenter edition. And all of them are fine.

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

@MikeA said:
    Doubt. It's been like this for 2~ years or so. Understaffed and continuing expanding

IIRC, you're now able to pay for 'support' right? Has anyone ever gone that way?

• @thedp said:

@MikeA said:
    Doubt. It's been like this for 2~ years or so. Understaffed and continuing expanding

IIRC, you're now able to pay for 'support' right? Has anyone ever gone that way?

What I heard from OVH, that they are changing support things. Like they will have support plans, from free, to enterprise and on free plan they are saying that they will answer within 8 hours. I don’t know if it’s real and legit, but I’ve heard about it’s.

• I have a Advanced LE server with OVH and I've had no problems with it. I also had many servers with Hetzner without any problems, they have better support than OVH.
    I prefer OVH due to the fact they have a UK DC and "free" IP's. From my location there is a 20ms difference in latency between UK and DE.

edited December 2019

@thedp said:

@MikeA said:

Generally, you shouldn't have to pay a provider to read a ticket to fix critical issues that hinder the usability of a service.

I saw a paid support option before, but it was only on a certain regions site (France or UK I think?) and the order links didn't work for US clients last I saw. So it wasn't meant for mass rollout anyways.

• I use OVH mainly, I had about 700 euros worth of Hetzner machines - by mid-January all Hetzner stuff will be gone.

For OVH, I have their business support plan, and response times for support are incredible, but it also gives me other features such as priority delivery etc, so it's well worth it for me.

Surely OVH have had their issues, and still do - but I've been overall satisfied, so I cannot really complain.

All my Hetzner stuff is being moved to colo - thanks to @Jord

Thanked by 1Jord

@Zerpy said:
    I use OVH mainly, I had about 700 euros worth of Hetzner machines - by mid-January all Hetzner stuff will be gone.

For OVH, I have their business support plan, and response times for support are incredible, but it also gives me other features such as priority delivery etc, so it's well worth it for me.

Surely OVH have had their issues, and still do - but I've been overall satisfied, so I cannot really complain.

All my Hetzner stuff is being moved to colo - thanks to @Jord

You are very welcome sir, glad I could help :heart:

Thanked by 1Zerpy