Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cyber Monday DDOS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cyber Monday DDOS

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

How wonderful it is to get DDOS attacks immediately after offering a CyberMonday deal.

Whoever it is, wtf!

Thanked by 2alilet Edmond

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Sorry to hear about that mate.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • Sad info.

• vpsGODvpsGOD Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2019

i stopped posting offer years back as i lost much days to filter bad ips... dont wish to get ddos again.

even i afraid to post comment in let. hope this is private to providers only.
    i have moved to ovh for migrating attack and it works well to keep site up. choose ovh or other best providers.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@vpsGOD said:
    i stopped posting offer years back as i lost much days to filter bad ips... dont wish to get ddos again.

i have moved to ovh for migrating attack and it works well to keep site up. choose ovh or other best providers.

We have mitigation in place but it still affects our service quality. To some locations, we see higher latency and of course this also affects throughput. It's mostly just annoying. But whoever it is, is lurking on this forum, and they are a little prick!

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited December 2019

Concurrent, unhappy client, etc... or even for no real reasons, ... the Internet became a very hostile place.

vpsGOD said: hope this is private to providers only.

No, it's not.

• @vpsGOD said:

But you are vpsGOD!

Thanked by 2vpsGOD maverickp
  • HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

We have received ddos aswell
    TCP by the looks of it, mainly to port 443 of our website

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited December 2019

I am quite naive when it comes to ddos so if you guys could fill me in, I would appreciate it. When ddos protection kicks in, what sort of latency difference is there?

The reason I ask is that for example, I tested sites in different locations varying from 30ms pings to 110ms pings, while there is a bit of a difference with loading times, it has never been super dramatic for me at least when loading webpages.

• risharde said: When ddos protection kicks in, what sort of latency difference is there?

I guess it depends of the host / provider. I can talk only about OVH, but, a couple of years ago, I get DDos quite a lot, during two months, I have no idea why, I just have an information site, with a forum, so may be a kid was pissed at something someone told him, I don't know. This was a Kimsufi server, and I get a notification, that a DDos was on going, and protection activated, then a couple of hours later, that the DDos was over. During these periods, I never noticed any change in the latency, or other connectivity aspects.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Keep in mind, DDoS means, someone thinks you are important.
    You should be happy instead of complaining on LET.

Thanked by 5bdl Janevski Ouji MrH Edmond
  • Neoon said: Keep in mind, DDoS means, someone thinks you are important.

Indeed. But, I guess, that when you are a provider, and your site is inaccessible, or very slow because of a DDos (I guess this was the problem of the OP), this is not a good signal sent to your (future) clients... Good DDos protection is a must have today.

@risharde said:
    I am quite naive when it comes to ddos so if you guys could fill me in, I would appreciate it. When ddos protection kicks in, what sort of latency difference is there?

The reason I ask is that for example, I tested sites in different locations varying from 30ms pings to 110ms pings, while there is a bit of a difference with loading times, it has never been super dramatic for me at least when loading webpages.

Depending on how your network is designed, it may have no effect at all. In our case, some of our routes get congested, and so we need to disable those routes. Disabling those routes means higher latency as the other routes are not as 'good' for some locations. Higher latency generally results in lower throughput.

Some people won't notice anything at all. So our customers in Europe probably won't notice anything as the route mostly does not change for them.

@SteveMC said:

Neoon said: Keep in mind, DDoS means, someone thinks you are important.

Indeed. But, I guess, that when you are a provider, and your site is inaccessible, or very slow because of a DDos (I guess this was the problem of the OP), this is not a good signal sent to your (future) clients... Good DDos protection is a must have today.

We didn't go down or slow to a crawl. Just had to disable certain routes. It's more of a nuisance than anything else. Just don't understand why people do it. What is the motivation? Don't people have better things to do?

Thanked by 1risharde
  • @SteveMC said:

Neoon said: Keep in mind, DDoS means, someone thinks you are important.

Dedispec is slow as fuck and the webpanel is almost unusable due to 10 seconds loading times, but people still buy from them.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • randvegeta said: What is the motivation? Don't people have better things to do?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former -Albert Einstein

Thanked by 2randvegeta risharde
  • SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Between Thursday and yesterday evening we were averaging a new attack every hour. A new record of 14 clients mitigation at a time at peak.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a full nights sleep tomorrow night as it all calms down.

@SplitIce said:
    Between Thursday and yesterday evening we were averaging a new attack every hour. A new record of 14 clients mitigation at a time at peak.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a full nights sleep tomorrow night as it all calms down.

As long as we disable the routes susceptible to congestion in the event of a DDoS attack, we're good and golden.

I call our DDoS protected routes my sleep well routes. They are not cheap, nor are they particularly fast, but they do a good job of handling 100s of GBit in DDoS, and I letting me and my colleagues some sleep. 1 night (or possibly longer) of slightly higher latency or slightly slower speeds doesn't tend to bother anyone, so we don't even get any complaints. Now if only Asian traffic were actually cheap enough to just buy hundreds of Gigs worth to ensure high performance even when under attack.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • might jus nut on ur router

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited December 2019

@Neoon said:
    Keep in mind, DDoS means, someone thinks you are important.
    You should be happy instead of complaining on LET.

There is a great deal of knightsmanship.
    The spirit of ddosesness visited me too, which means i've been a dick and someone cares.
    Caring is loving and i don't feel alone anymore. :smile:

PS: I remember once @deank said i have this great ability of bringing people to knives over total non-sense.
    Absolutely right, sound observation - it's a gift from the universe.
    Idiocy, in it's purest form, shall save this world, quite likely.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Host4GeeksHost4Geeks Member, Host Rep

There was a widespread attack targetted towards multiple web hosting providers during the period from Friday to Monday, mostly towards ther WHMCS installs with random login attempts to the client area.