Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What backup tools/scripts do you use in 2019 ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

subj

Comments

• Rsync + cron

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Acronis normally.

• SteveMCSteveMC Member
    edited December 2019

rsync

2019 is living its last days ... :cry:

• Borg + rsync

• restic to b2.

borg to vps.

and important (not very personal/private) docs are anyway always saved in Dropbox folder that is also included in both the backups mentioned above.

• Thank you all very much! Borg looks good.

@Devil What are the main differences between restic and borg? Looks like they are the same, but restic can backup to some other places not limited to ssh/local storage?

• DevilDevil Member
    edited December 2019

main differences between restic and borg

Yes, restic is more convenient and it has never thrown an error on me ever whenever I have tried, unlike Borg :smiley:

I can use restic to b2 and pay only as much I use (in fact for a long time I was paying nothing as storage was below 10GB and transfers and other calls were within free limit) and it supports some other block storages too. Borg doesn't and for that I had to set it up on my VPS which I am not really very comfortable with. Reasons being I neither have the patience, nor time to learn and then use that skill to strengthen that VPS.

But if your data can be compressed a lot then you might rather want borg. Or if the data is really a lot then maybe go for something like Backblaze (just my recommendation).

A google result will fetch you detailed answers unlike mine :)

PS. Whatever backup you do, keep testing its integrity (try with real restore of random files from random snapshots/versions) once every few months at least. Bit rot and other shit are real. Happy backing up :)

Thanked by 1Milon
  • @Devil Thank you! Good advice about testing backups integrity!

• btrfs send | btrfs receive

• restic

its 2019!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@_Nic said:
    Rsync + cron

the same above:

Rsync + bash/shell code + cron