Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uptobox as a possible 1Fichier alternative?!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uptobox as a possible 1Fichier alternative?!

I've been watching them for a while and maybe will give them a go.
Their ToS states similar to 1Fichier: Hot Storage unlimited, Cold storage limited (does not name limit though). They also have API support :) Not hotlinking though. They do have some sort of "uptostream" media player thingy though. I'll probably just grab the 30 day plan and give it a try. Or, you know, 200GB storage for registered free users..

Prices are also a bit lower than 1Fichier. 22€/year is the same right now, but 82€/5years is cheaper.

Oh, and yes.. I couldn't resists the Unicorn bait:

Anyone heard about them before? They surely have been around for a while now. Just talking Facebook numbers, but 1Fichier has 13000+ likes, Uptobox has 101000+ likes. Their posts are also written in French, makes me wonder if it's under the same hat as 1Fichier lol. The services do look similar regarding their pricing/policies etc.
That being said, I'll probably stick to 1Fichier for now. Given my long history of 1Fichier love I'll just look out for an XMAS sale from them. Just wanted to toss uptobox in the mix, y'know.

Comments

• Yes, I've heard about them and downloaded many movies but iirc they are banned in US so US users can't access them without VPN.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @samm said:
    Yes, I've heard about them and downloaded many movies but iirc they are banned in US so US users can't access them without VPN.

Good to know. For now, I am sticking to 1Fichier, however, I'll probably give them a try.

• Banned in most of the countries though
    Bought 1ficher after seeing your review its been 6 month serving me well

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @webclouddev said:
    Banned in most of the countries though
    Bought 1ficher after seeing your review its been 6 month serving me well

Don't get me wrong, 1Fichier is great. Just always on the lookout what's out on the market. Uptobox being banned in so many countries though, sucks.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

Thanks for the hint but having bought a 1 TB 3-years storage VPS from Hostsolutions for €50 I don't see why I'd want 1 TB storage with much less control than I have with a VPS. Plus I already got a 1fichier premium and hardly use it because the API is a pita.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jsg said:
    Thanks for the hint but having bought a 1 TB 3-years storage VPS from Hostsolutions for €50 I don't see why I'd want 1 TB storage with much less control than I have with a VPS. Plus I already got a 1fichier premium and hardly use it because the API is a pita.

No worries mate :) Enjoy your bit of cociu :D Great deal.

Thanked by 1jsg

@Ympker said:

That was just one of my points. The other one is the API question. Sorry for wording that evidently not at all smartly. In other words: I'd love to see some kind of short report from you, ideally with a quick and dirty API comparison with 1fichier.

Side note for all interested: I keep seeing a very attractive it seems lifetime 2TB offer from deego (or was it degoo?) on stack social and other places. I myself am not interested because it's not supported by rclone plus it's very Windows centric it seems. But it might be a very tasty offer for Windows users.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I don't understand how they earn money for offering super large storage with such low price.

@elliotc said:
    I don't understand how they earn money for offering super large storage with such low price.

I can only guess, but considering that both (1fichier too) are french providers, I presume the following:

• The obvious: cheap hardware, much of it probably 2nd hand. If one knows ones field and the market and has some connections one can easily save 75+% vs a new well known brand like HP box.
    • The half obvious (but often overlooked): France has much lower electrical power prices than most countries around it plus it has very large hosting providers and lots of experience in colocation plus quite attractive bandwidth volume and pricing available.
    • The not at all obvious: Almost everybody knows ZFS, LizardFS, etc. but only very few know that the french have some world class institutes and research facilities many of which are strong in math.
      A relevant example would be Mojette Transform based erasure coding that allows excellent resilience/redundancy with far less drives (and nodes!) than other (more widely known) storage solutions.
    Thanked by 1Ympker
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited December 2019

@jsg said:

• The half obvious (but often overlooked): France has much lower electrical power prices than most countries around it.

Yes, because they have nuclear power plants all over the country creating a threat for neighbouring countries.

OVH built a dc right next to one of them, coincidence? I believe not.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I used to work for a company that wholesale second hand hardware, and they not doing used hdds anymore since it is not stable.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@pike said:

@jsg said:

• The half obvious (but often overlooked): France has much lower electrical power prices than most countries around it.

Yes, because they have nuclear power plants all over the country creating a threat for neighbouring countries.

OVH built a dc right next to one of them, coincidence? I believe not.

Yes, indeed very unlikely that that's random. Of course a colo tries to be close to at least one power plant.

And yes, there of course is a political and social factor too but here at (non political I guess) LET I chose to simply look at the facts.
    Btw, I'm by no means an expert on nuclear power plants but looking at real world data it seems that the dangers associated with nuclear power plants are exaggerated (for whatever reason). Virtually all accidents so far were not due to the technology but due to other factors like extremely poor choice of location and shocking lack of real oversight and control.

Be that as it may, fact is that electrical power in France is quite cheap and fact is also that most (especially large) companies care much more about costs than about the environment and people. I agree that that is regrettable but LET seems to not be the right place for those discussions.

• @jsg said:

@Ympker said:

That was just one of my points. The other one is the API question. Sorry for wording that evidently not at all smartly. In other words: I'd love to see some kind of short report from you, ideally with a quick and dirty API comparison with 1fichier.

Side note for all interested: I keep seeing a very attractive it seems lifetime 2TB offer from deego (or was it degoo?) on stack social and other places. I myself am not interested because it's not supported by rclone plus it's very Windows centric it seems. But it might be a very tasty offer for Windows users.

I have heard very bad stuff about Degoo. I'd stay far away. One of the LTD deals I won't touch. Regarding the API, I am not even sure if I'll get around testing it, since I don't even use 1Fichier API at this point. If I do though, I'll let you know.

Thanked by 1jsg
  • Off topic: nuclear power plants are the most eco-friendly of all the so far available options. Not trolling.

On topic: looking for as cheap as possible cold storage. So thanks for the heads up. Waiting to hear the first hand info.

• @bikegremlin said:
    Off topic: nuclear power plants are the most eco-friendly of all the so far available options. Not trolling.

On topic: looking for as cheap as possible cold storage. So thanks for the heads up. Waiting to hear the first hand info.

If you want something well established, can't go wrong with 1Fichier 2TB cold storage for 22€/year :) However, I just saw in my Facebook chat that I once asked uptobox on FB about cold storage and they told me even 5TB was okay. That was in April. I have asked them again to re-affirm.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Off topic: nuclear power plants are the most eco-friendly of all the so far available options. Not trolling.

If you want something well established, can't go wrong with 1Fichier 2TB cold storage for 22€/year :) However, I just saw in my Facebook chat that I once asked uptobox on FB about cold storage and they told me even 5TB was okay. That was in April. I have asked them again to re-affirm.

I saw that offer. Super cheap. Haven't had any experience with the service though.

My need is simple: want to upload photos, docs, backup copies of backups :) etc, while being able to relatively easily download it when needed (100 to 1000 MB at most per download).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited December 2019

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

I saw that offer. Super cheap. Haven't had any experience with the service though.

My need is simple: want to upload photos, docs, backup copies of backups :) etc, while being able to relatively easily download it when needed (100 to 1000 MB at most per download).

You can't go wrong with 1Fichier at this point. Check my 1Fichier review in my sig if unsure. There's lots of LET users using 1Fichier.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • The download speed sucks. Also free users get mined.

Thanked by 2vyas11 Ympker

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • That's the register page, can't login, get premium, or register

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • No 1fichier deal this year?

Thanked by 1D3n3y
  • Nuclear power is the only solution to our energy hungry modern society. Just need to locate it in the right place with the right management. The cutting edge nuclear tech, if it can come to market, is passive rather than the older active (no need to worry about shutting it down because it activates only when needed otherwise it is in a default non-reaction state) and is also closed loop (the waste can be used as fuel for next round of reaction so literally there is no by-product; it keeps on circulating).

If we have the best engineers on nuclear tech we can almost retire fossil fuels for power (they will be needed for some transportation but the amount of cutback is massive).

The problem for nuclear is less of the tech but more of the perception of danger that persist based on older technologies.

Thanked by 3bikegremlin jsg nulldev
  • @Ympker said:

I have heard very bad stuff about Degoo. I'd stay far away. One of the LTD deals I won't touch.
    @yokowasis said:
    The download speed sucks. Also free users get mined.

Degoo I would stay away from. Mining part is right.

Thanked by 2Ympker jsg
  • @poisson said:
    Nuclear power is the only solution to our energy hungry modern society. Just need to locate it in the right place with the right management. The cutting edge nuclear tech, if it can come to market, is passive rather than the older active (no need to worry about shutting it down because it activates only when needed otherwise it is in a default non-reaction state) and is also closed loop (the waste can be used as fuel for next round of reaction so literally there is no by-product; it keeps on circulating).

If we have the best engineers on nuclear tech we can almost retire fossil fuels for power (they will be needed for some transportation but the amount of cutback is massive).

The problem for nuclear is less of the tech but more of the perception of danger that persist based on older technologies.

Not that I don't agree with you, but possibly wrong thread?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @stevevps said:
    No 1fichier deal this year?

Wait for XMAS. 1Fichier often does deals then :)

• Fex.net is a much better deal. Also when I subscribed to Real Debrid, they would transload torrents to uptobox, so I could backup files that way. Didn't need an account because as soon as the link went dead they could be retransloaded.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

tried bunnycdn cloud storage ? its 0.01usd/gb/month

• @webclouddev said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

10$/mo/TB, right? 1Fichier is 24€/year.

• @Ympker said:

@webclouddev said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

10$/mo/TB, right? 1Fichier is 24€/year.

Though im using 1ficher for storing backup of my backups(YouTube old archived video and website backup sometimes) i don't trust 1ficher with private data likes family photos etc since 1ficher is hot spot for piracy related stuff im using it for same also no direct download via ftp, have to use thier download link

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Fair enough :) I don't store anything important on it either.

Thanked by 1webclouddev