Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quantum Core
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quantum Core

Nearly 2 months ago I came across a deal from @QuantumCore for a VPS in Sydney for $5 AUD per month (that's about tree fiddy in USD) - https://quantumcore.com.au/linux-vps

I'm going to paste this bench.sh before I continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU model            : QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+
Number of cores      : 1
CPU frequency        : 2992.968 MHz
Total size of Disk   : 30.0 GB (19.0 GB Used)
Total amount of Mem  : 985 MB (232 MB Used)
Total amount of Swap : 2047 MB (130 MB Used)
System uptime        : 44 days, 6 hour 5 min
Load average         : 0.25, 0.23, 0.15
OS                   : Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Arch                 : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel               : 4.15.0-20-generic
I/O speed(1st run)   : 401 MB/s
I/O speed(2nd run)   : 465 MB/s
I/O speed(3rd run)   : 590 MB/s
Average I/O speed    : 485.3 MB/s
Node Name                       IPv4 address            Download Speed
CacheFly                        204.93.143.143          90.8MB/s
Linode, Tokyo2, JP              139.162.65.37           1.51MB/s
Linode, Singapore, SG           139.162.23.4            25.0MB/s
Linode, London, UK              176.58.107.39           9.05MB/s
Linode, Frankfurt, DE           139.162.130.8           8.69MB/s
Linode, Fremont, CA             50.116.14.9             14.1MB/s
Softlayer, Dallas, TX           173.192.68.18           9.59MB/s
Softlayer, Seattle, WA          67.228.112.250          9.78MB/s
Softlayer, Frankfurt, DE        159.122.69.4            6.70MB/s
Softlayer, Singapore, SG        119.81.28.170           18.3MB/s
Softlayer, HongKong, CN         119.81.130.170          14.9MB/s

That's not bad at all for $5 AUD per month, in Sydney. The network is fast my man. Not OVH. I don't actually know for sure, but it's premium AF.

Check out that Asia speed!

Looking glass: https://lg.quantumcore.com.au/

I've been using this as a remote desktop (it's 25ms away, performance is awesome with x2go) and I'm able to stream video from sites I wouldn't normally be able to on a VPS. (I'm not elaborating on that, you know exactly what I mean). For a single core, it's quite beastly. Definitely, absolutely, bet my left nut on it, it's NOT oversold.

Haven't needed support, no comment there. General chit chat with the owner has been friendly, and the vibe I get is he's focused on quality. Quick to respond during human waking hours.

There's a $50 free credits if you put $5 in. I believe the $50 credit lasts for 60 days. It'll cost you fuck all to try it out. - https://quantumcore.com.au/freecredit

I wanted to show @QuantumCore some love as they haven't got as much attention as I believe they deserve.

@poisson we have exothermic potassium here. Would be interested how this ranks, if you pay $5 for effectively 6 months (if you pay half yearly before 60 days), plus the change..

And finally, official certification:

Tl;dr grab your $5 AUD and get some Australian potassium of the finest quality outside of Melbourne :-)

Comments

• That actually looks pretty good! Giving binarylane a run for their money :P

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @t0ny0 said:
    That actually looks pretty good! Giving binarylane a run for their money :P

For Sydney, absolutely! If it was Brisbane I'd be losing my mind :P

• I also enjoyed this offer and shared it with a few friends, but most people do n’t know, the real offer is always short-lived

• This, the @SmartHost flash sale and the most recent @seriesn flash sale have combined to be the 3 best purchases in recent times for me.

Gotta say, with the $50 credit (especially if you got the first round with no expiration) and my $5 that's 11 months for $5. That makes this the steal of the year for me, looking at it that way.

• Have been using the $5AUD @QuantumCore VPS since May this year, as a fallback for a @HostDoc one. As you said @dahartigan it's a little known gem and that's without me getting the benefit of that big chunk of freebie credit.
    Mostly, it's completely stable (and idle) though I did use it in earnest whilst reconfiguring the HosDoc one. I pushed a CWP user account between them, no bother.
    It doesn't suffer from the I/O problems during host system backups either. ;-)

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Actually with the credit this is a winner for sure. Can the 50 dollar credit pay for 10 months of service in advance before the 60 day expiry?

• @poisson said:
    Actually with the credit this is a winner for sure. Can the 50 dollar credit pay for 10 months of service in advance before the 60 day expiry?

I understand there may be a 50% off first invoice coupon that one could possibly use to purchase a year for $30 of credit before the 60 days expires.... waiting to hear back from @QuantumCore to see if this is a legal move or an oopsie that needs to be fixed..

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    Have been using the $5AUD @QuantumCore VPS since May this year, as a fallback for a @HostDoc one. As you said @dahartigan it's a little known gem and that's without me getting the benefit of that big chunk of freebie credit.
    Mostly, it's completely stable (and idle) though I did use it in earnest whilst reconfiguring the HosDoc one. I pushed a CWP user account between them, no bother.
    It doesn't suffer from the I/O problems during host system backups either. ;-)

I personally plan to renew at $5/mo when the credits run out, put it that way ;) As you mentioned, it doesn't seem to suffer what ails another provider..

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @dahartigan said:
    ... and I'm able to stream video from sites I wouldn't normally be able to on a VPS. ...

pr0ntassium? :wink:

Thanked by 2Ganonk dahartigan
  • @bdl said:

@dahartigan said:
    ... and I'm able to stream video from sites I wouldn't normally be able to on a VPS. ...

pr0ntassium? :wink:

LOL.. I've never known those sites to geoblock?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • For me being in Canberra this can be 😍 the real deal with those credits

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • dahartigan said: Not OVH. I don't actually know for sure

Equinix

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @corbpie said:

dahartigan said: Not OVH. I don't actually know for sure

Equinix

Premium

• @dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

Unfortunately not, it's SAU which routes through a few providers like Superloop and Equinix but Equinix unfortunately mainly uses Vocus which is bad (HE is used a lot). Domestically it'll be a good network through.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

Unfortunately not, it's SAU which routes through a few providers like Superloop and Equinix but Equinix unfortunately mainly uses Vocus which is bad (HE is used a lot). Domestically it'll be a good network through.

My ISP is Exetel and I've got an amazing connection domestically to it. Never noticed any poor routing, now you mention it I'll see if i can find a weakness.. but in my normal usage it's been flawless. Same deal with binarylane too I believe..

• @dahartigan said:

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

My ISP is Exetel and I've got an amazing connection domestically to it. Never noticed any poor routing, now you mention it I'll see if i can find a weakness.. but in my normal usage it's been flawless. Same deal with binarylane too I believe..

That'll be because Exetel has recently switched to Superloop & Telstra transit so you will have been using Superloop the entire way to your server most likely. BinaryLane too use Superloop, their network is technically better than Quantum as they use SL for both domestic and international.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

That'll be because Exetel has recently switched to Superloop & Telstra transit so you will have been using Superloop the entire way to your server most likely. BinaryLane too use Superloop, their network is technically better than Quantum as they use SL for both domestic and international.

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense now :-)

• QuantumCoreQuantumCore Member, Host Rep

Glad to hear you're enjoying our service! Thanks for the kind words.

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:
    Actually with the credit this is a winner for sure. Can the 50 dollar credit pay for 10 months of service in advance before the 60 day expiry?

I understand there may be a 50% off first invoice coupon that one could possibly use to purchase a year for $30 of credit before the 60 days expires.... waiting to hear back from @QuantumCore to see if this is a legal move or an oopsie that needs to be fixed..

The 50% off promo is currently ended, there are no active promo codes at this time unfortunately! But make full use of our free credit offer.> @s4suke7 said:

For me being in Canberra this can be 😍 the real deal with those credits

Although our servers are in Sydney - we're located in Canberra too! :) Come say hello some time.

Thanked by 2dahartigan s4suke7
  • @QuantumCore said:
    Glad to hear you're enjoying our service! Thanks for the kind words.

@dahartigan said:

@poisson said:

The 50% off promo is currently ended, there are no active promo codes at this time unfortunately! But make full use of our free credit offer.> @s4suke7 said:

For me being in Canberra this can be 😍 the real deal with those credits

Although our servers are in Sydney - we're located in Canberra too! :) Come say hello some time.

Ahh yeah I just noticed I was looking at an old promo code haha oops

Thanked by 1QuantumCore

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

Huge network changes are coming soon (next year)! Will have more updates on this in the New Year.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @QuantumCore said:

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@tester4 said:

@dahartigan said:

@corbpie said:

Equinix

Premium

Huge network changes are coming soon (next year)! Will have more updates on this in the New Year.

Nice, hope you're going single homed Superloop (with someone like HE as backup) - at this rate there's not a single network in AU that beats the quality of Superloop in both international and domestic.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • dahartigan said: I/O speed(1st run) : 401 MB/s

I/O speed(2nd run) : 465 MB/s
    I/O speed(3rd run) : 590 MB/s
    Average I/O speed : 485.3 MB/s

Only an average of 485 MB/s?

• @Gravely said:

dahartigan said: I/O speed(1st run) : 401 MB/s

Only? I find that to be quite fast, and that's around what I get from binarylane. I'm not sure if it should be higher or not, but it certainly feels fast when using it (and I'm using it as a remote desktop which would bug me even more if it were slow, it'd be noticeable opening firefox etc)

• @dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

Only? I find that to be quite fast, and that's around what I get from binarylane. I'm not sure if it should be higher or not, but it certainly feels fast when using it (and I'm using it as a remote desktop which would bug me even more if it were slow, it'd be noticeable opening firefox etc)

My own cheap SSD laptop doesn't even give me these speeds and it feels very snappy already. Good enough.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @poisson said:

@dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

My own cheap SSD laptop doesn't even give me these speeds and it feels very snappy already. Good enough.

Hehe, I was going to mention my laptop.. it's not cheap, it's an i7 with nvme and bench.sh gives me around 250ish and it's like freaking lightning.

• @dahartigan said:

@Gravely said:

Below is a bench from a $5/m VM from BL. Double the I/O speed;

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
     OS           : Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS (64 Bit)
     Virt/Kernel  : KVM / 4.15.0-46-generic
     CPU Model    : Intel KVM Processor v2.2
     CPU Cores    : 1 @ 2399.996 MHz x86_64 4096 KB Cache
     CPU Flags    : AES-NI Enabled & VM-x/AMD-V Disabled
     Load Average : 0.01, 0.01, 0.00
     Total Space  : 20G (1.2G ~7% used)
     Total RAM    : 82 MB / 985 MB (217 MB Buff)
     Total SWAP   : 0 MB / 0 MB
     Uptime       : 0 days 0:1
     ASN & ISP    : AS133159, Mammoth Media Pty Ltd
     Organization : Mammoth Media Pty Ltd
     Location     : Sydney, Australia / AU
     Region       : New South Wales

## Geekbench v4 CPU Benchmark:

Single Core : 2845  (GOOD)
       Multi Core : 2659

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
        bzip2     :  76.6 MB/s
       sha256     : 149 MB/s
       md5sum     : 405 MB/s

RAM Speed:
       Avg. write : 2355.2 MB/s
       Avg. read  : 4881.1 MB/s

Disk Speed:
       1st run    : 977 MB/s
       2nd run    : 1.1 GB/s
       3rd run    : 1.2 GB/s
       -----------------------
       Average    : 1110.7 MB/s

## Global Speedtest

Location                       Upload           Download         Ping   
     Speedtest.net                  901.85 Mbit/s    524.20 Mbit/s    1.755 ms
     USA, New York (AT&T)           21.41 Mbit/s     34.56 Mbit/s    219.340 ms
     USA, Chicago (Windstream)      52.27 Mbit/s     51.80 Mbit/s    210.442 ms
     USA, Dallas (Frontier)         67.33 Mbit/s     7.71 Mbit/s     203.595 ms
     USA, Miami (Frontier)          58.51 Mbit/s     46.30 Mbit/s    240.189 ms
     USA, Los Angeles (Spectrum)    110.43 Mbit/s    90.25 Mbit/s    153.912 ms
     UK, London (Community Fibre)   35.73 Mbit/s     43.33 Mbit/s    261.073 ms
     France, Lyon (SFR)             29.39 Mbit/s     43.09 Mbit/s    272.061 ms
     Germany, Berlin (DNS:NET)      37.67 Mbit/s     63.44 Mbit/s    289.731 ms
     Spain, Madrid (Adamo)          39.99 Mbit/s     44.28 Mbit/s    245.249 ms
     Italy, Rome (Unidata)          44.90 Mbit/s     40.60 Mbit/s    271.070 ms
     Russia, Moscow (MTS)           18.51 Mbit/s     40.93 Mbit/s    317.911 ms
     Israel, Haifa (013Netvision)   12.40 Mbit/s     34.18 Mbit/s    300.125 ms
     India, New Delhi (Airtel)      66.41 Mbit/s     36.12 Mbit/s    191.766 ms
     Singapore (FirstMedia)         73.61 Mbit/s     81.27 Mbit/s     99.698 ms
     Japan, Tsukuba (SoftEther)     110.02 Mbit/s    64.25 Mbit/s    101.483 ms
     Australia, Sydney (Yes Optus)  772.77 Mbit/s    551.26 Mbit/s     1.353 ms
     RSA, Randburg (Cool Ideas)     12.96 Mbit/s     12.02 Mbit/s    416.854 ms
     Brazil, Sao Paulo (Criare)     18.72 Mbit/s     38.20 Mbit/s    333.383 ms

Finished in : 11 min 8 sec
     Timestamp   : 2019-11-28 23:32:25 GMT
     Saved in    : /root/speedtest.log

Share results:
     - http://www.speedtest.net/result/8805757284.png
     - https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14978491
     - https://clbin.com/jbgAw

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • seems like a good provider, and I wanted to try, unfortunately during that bonus offering fiasco they became a victim of their own success, and the actual potential customers weren't able to try, but some crazy mob from a Chinese forum (or that's how I remember it)

@QuantumCore probably you should consider offering something in the future

just my 2 AUD cents

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Gravely Which benchmark script is that? I've noticed with NVMe some of the dd tests yeild wildly different results.

Thanked by 1dahartigan

@tgl said:
    seems like a good provider, and I wanted to try, unfortunately during that bonus offering fiasco they became a victim of their own success, and the actual potential customers weren't able to try, but some crazy mob from a Chinese forum (or that's how I remember it)

@QuantumCore probably you should consider offering something in the future

just my 2 AUD cents

Hey TGL,

Sorry I'm not quite sure what you mean? What would you like to see us offer?

As for benchmarks, you really need to compare apples with apples. Run the same benchmark test on the same operating system with the exact same specs. :)

• @Gravely my Brisbane one was a lot less (I actually use this QC to replace my BL. Crazy right?) Perhaps I'll try a Sydney BL and see if there's a difference. I personally can't feel a difference between 400mb and 2000mb, if it's sub-100 it feels slow to me. Maybe I'm not super perceptive?

@tgl you make a very good point that it was abused by the wrong crowd. I believe there is currently a promo, $5 gets you $50 credit you can use in 60 days. You can prepay for 6 months as soon as you get your credits, and either blow the remainder or let it expire out. $5 for 6 months ain't bad in AU.

Thanked by 2tgl AlwaysSkint