Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WisHosting KVM SSD [CA/FR]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WisHosting KVM SSD [CA/FR]

Decided to do a quick evaluation of the value proposition of WisHosting's KVM SSD offer: https://lowendboxes.review/wishosting-kvm-ssd-nov-2019/

TL;DR @exception0x876 has some really wicked offers. And of course, as someone who has actually used his services, I can vouch for the rock solid stability of his servers. You don't need to wait for Black Friday; his regular plans are already solid value!

Comments

• edited November 2019

At this port speed, you can transfer approximately 2TB per day, which is the bandwidth some other providers provide per month.

Yeah good luck with that. If it ain't dedicated, don't bother. You're gonna get throttled.

• @_@ DAMN!! That is some solid $ to value ratio.

• That's why I said approximately. It depends on other factors but pretty much for all practical purposes, the download is unlimited to the user. I don't consider abusers users.

• @seriesn said:
    @_@ DAMN!! That is some solid $ to value ratio.

I used them previously because of this reason. I got the full 250mbps anytime of the day.

If there's a complaint that I have, it is that @exception0x876 doesn't market himself enough. He's too politely humble about his excellent services and I think he really deserves A LOT MORE love.

Thanked by 3uptime dahartigan samm
  • If it was "approximate" there would be data to back that claim up. You have no way of ensuring any particular user can reach those limits without doing any tests yourself. Why just regurgitate what the posting says?

• @CyberneticTitan said:
    If it was "approximate" there would be data to back that claim up. You have no way of ensuring any particular user can reach those limits without doing any tests yourself. Why just regurgitate what the posting says?

I evaluate paper specs. Anyway, I have used his services before. Have you?

• edited November 2019

@poisson said:

@CyberneticTitan said:
    If it was "approximate" there would be data to back that claim up. You have no way of ensuring any particular user can reach those limits without doing any tests yourself. Why just regurgitate what the posting says?

So your review is based on assuming the provider words are gold?

No, I don't have a VPS with them. You do, and it's a shame you didn't verify your claims.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2019

CyberneticTitan said: If it was "approximate" there would be data to back that claim up. You have no way of ensuring any particular user can reach those limits without doing any tests yourself. Why just regurgitate what the posting says?

So, here is the thing. "Hosting Providers Don't Want You To Kow This" secret, no one can use maximum data on "Unmetered" plans, for any hosting provider, while adhering to the fair usage policy. Which why many of us offer calculated data plans.

So you can say, oh I can do this, oh I can do that. Yes, you can, but one or the other will break one or another policy.

But, what if you are doing everything by the book? Well, if you have a legit usage, that maxes out providers port 24/7, you won't be using service from a provider who charges peanuts.

"Unmetered" or "Unlimited" is a term, that was designed for newbie/users who don't want to deal with the headaches of going over or worry about calculating data usage. I work in an industry, where unlimited is the only thing that sells and people's average usage is nowhere close to "unlimited".

Summary? As @Nekki would say, everything is a cunt, car runs on water.

P.S don't get me wrong. It is a grey line of ethics. But sadly, it sells. As you can see, we have users asking for unlimited CPU cores for 8 bucks a month. Human nature, consumer-driven world.

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@CyberneticTitan said:

@poisson said:

@CyberneticTitan said:

So your review is based on assuming the provider words are gold?

No, I don't have a VPS with them. You do, and it's a shame you didn't verify your claims.

I have already made it clear that I evaluate paper specs and because I only evaluate providers good enough to make it to my whitelist, their words are as good as gold.

Next, I have used WisHosting and I never have been throttled for bandwidth usage despite heavy use.

Finally, if you want to make claims about others without evidence to back them up, then you should not be complaining about others for doing the same. By your logic, since you have not tried WisHosting, your words cannot be taken seriously.

Not sure what is your problem with @exception0x876 when you have never used his services but whatever evidence that I have seen more than proves he is an excellent provider worthy of recommending and I will stand by the recommendation.

If you have evidence proving otherwise, please present it.

• edited November 2019

@seriesn said:

Oh I agree with everything you said. I don't see anything wrong with "you can do anything with the bandwidth as long as you're not a dick to your neighbors". Sure, it is a marketing point for providers to entice users, but why the hell is @poisson, who I assume is experienced in VPS to know that unmetered does not mean you can burst the port 24/7, boasting that you can do so?

@poisson said:

I have already made it clear that I evaluate paper specs and because I only evaluate providers good enough to make it to my whitelist, their words are as good as gold.

What you deem as "good as gold" means nothing to the next user. We have no reason to trust your words.

Next, I have used WisHosting and I never have been throttled for bandwidth usage despite heavy use.

Great, that's good to hear. Unfortunately this is just anecdotal evidence. Any other user can simply say the reverse and leave it at that. Now if you can provide some evidence or data to suggest this, that would be very helpful to the community.

Finally, if you want to make claims about others without evidence to back them up, then you should not be complaining about others for doing the same. By your logic, since you have not tried WisHosting, your words cannot be taken seriously.

Look, you are the one making the original claim. If you want to have it so person A makes a claim so that it is true otherwise someone else disproves that claim, then the Christian community would love you very much. Person A: "God exists". Person B: "No he doesn't, you have no evidence to support that". Person A: "Well you have no evidence to show that he doesn't exist so hah he does." See what I mean?

Also if you remember the first post I made on this thread: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/3016665/#Comment_3016665

Not sure what is your problem with @exception0x876 when you have never used his services but whatever evidence that I have seen more than proves he is an excellent provider worthy of recommending and I will stand by the recommendation.

If you have evidence proving otherwise, please present it.

I have no problem with WisHosting. I have an slight issue of you making some unsupported claim based off of the words of the provider, providing no information or data in your review to suggest to the reader that WisHosting is even remotely an "excellent provider worth of recommending". One might even go as far to say you are encouraging users to burst the port 24/7 to achieve 60TB/mo, despite it being detrimental to the users on the node.

You say your reviews "evaluate" paper specs. This tells the reader that your evaluations are no better than what the provider lists in their sales page and that your reviews contain no more useful information compared to a simple benchmark script.

Thanked by 2uptime TimboJones
  • @CyberneticTitan Already duly explained everything, but hey, you are free to believe whatever you would like to believe. At the end of the day, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

CyberneticTitan said: One might even go as far to say you are encouraging users to burst the port 24/7 to achieve 60TB/mo, despite it being detrimental to the users on the node.

@poisson - some good points to consider especially ^

It might could maybe just take a little bit of tuning to present a much clearer picture of what to expect in the long run - I think this really would be to the benefit of all parties involved (new users, providers, your review's accuracy, and - maybe most importantly - the peace of mind of all of us observing from the peanut gallery)

you're welcome .... :wink:

(and, thanks for taking the time to articulate your anguish @CyberneticTitan :))

EDIT:

also, Wishosting is really good stuff in my experience - reliable, trustworthy service, and a good value ...

but the disk on the 1 TB (sometimes 1.8 TB) storage deal (the one in Germany) has been reliably really slow. Fine for my cold storage needs so I have not felt compelled to put in a ticket - just would want to manage expectations for anyone jumping on that deal. (And I do think it's a very nice deal!)

Thanked by 1skorous
  • @uptime said:
    @poisson - some good points to consider especially ^

I've said that it's a theoretical limit, but it appears that saying that this is a theoretical limit means that it must be practically true? But point taken that on LET, there must be some concern for people who may potentially choose to misunderstand. Will edit.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @poisson said:
    I've said that it's a theoretical limit, but it appears that saying that this is a theoretical limit means that it must be practically true? But point taken that on LET, there must be some concern for people who may potentially choose to misunderstand. Will edit.

No you said "approximately". You said you can "approximately" achieve 2TB per day, just like you can "approximately" win the lottery if you buy a ticket. Is it possible? Sure. Is it an edge-case? Definitely.

Anywho thanks for making the edit.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • @CyberneticTitan said:
    Anywho thanks for making the edit.

Thanks for flagging the concerns (which also extends to @uptime)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • cybertechcybertech Member
    edited November 2019

Did not see much info about the I/O. Since this is not dedicated, I'm curious to see how the disk setup is like.

Imo the quality of a vps is a result of available (as a complete package) CPU , ram, I/o, network at any time, all time

Thanked by 1uptime
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2019

Its fair share cpu, which you maxed out.
    But in reality, you cannot max them out 24/7, so your value for cpu benchmark is bullshit.

• CPU benchmark is still interesting as that's what you can get if you need to burst into more resources for a small period of time.

• tough crowd ...

tough, but fair.

(fair share, that is - ammirite?)

Thanked by 2dahartigan poisson
  • Put it this way: it's a shared resource. Unlimited CPU usage means you could not worry that your experiments don't go awry and get yo' ass suspended for CPU abuse. You will just get your share of CPU time limited, increasing in severity dependent on your CPU usage.

Tl;dr @manish could get away with mining crypto on these, but his CPU will gradually become throttled.

• @Neoon said:
    Its fair share cpu, which you maxed out.
    But in reality, you cannot max them out 24/7, so your value for cpu benchmark is bullshit.

If you understand the boundaries, the comparison is with reference to a VPS and not absolute marker. You are basically saying I should compare oranges with apples, which I disagree.

• Unlimited word is overrated

• Automatic throttling : peace of mind for end user.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime said:
    tough crowd ...

tough, but fair.

(fair share, that is - ammirite?)

I am not fazed by the crowd. Methodology is clearly explained. If criticisms do not account for the assumptions and contexts then it is not a criticism worthy of paying attention to because there is no point comparing two completely different things.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Thanked by 1poisson
  • Calling for the pant too?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson - actually, in all the excitement I lost track of the "unlimited" (but not dedicated) cpu setup that I do appreciate for some applications where I might need to grind on the cpu for a while.

I'm not sure if there is automatic throttling (as @vimalware suggested - maybe just from thermal regulation?) or if it's more or less a cage fight scenario with other users who may be doing the same thing on the node - but it worked nicely for doing some mildly compute-intensive batch processing on a 12 GB ram opteron cpu deal I used for running this application for a while before I picked up a cheap dedi (for over twice the cost of that wishosting deal but with a 2 TB HDD).

tl;dr: wishosting works a treat and @exception0x876 is a pleasure to deal with. You may or may not be being trolled just a bit here but I think the points raised are nonetheless good food for thought. Thanks for starting this discussion. :)

• poissonpoisson Member
    edited November 2019

@uptime said:
    @poisson - actually, in all the excitement I lost track of the "unlimited" (but not dedicated) cpu setup that I do appreciate for some applications where I might need to grind on the cpu for a while.

I'm not sure if there is automatic throttling (as @vimalware suggested - maybe just from thermal regulation?) or if it's more or less a a cage fight scenario with other users who may be doing the same thing on the node - but it worked nicely for doing some mildly compute intensive batch processing on a 12 GB ram opteron cpu deal I used for running this application for a while before I picked up a cheap dedi (for over twice the cost of that wishosting deal but with a 2 TB HDD).

tl;dr: wishosting works a treat and @exception0x876 is a pleasure to deal with. You may or may not be being trolled just a bit here but I think the points raised are nonetheless good food for thought. Thanks for starting this discussion. :)

I have never been throttled for anything intensive that I did on WisHosting. As far as I have experienced, @exception0x876 doesn't do automatic throttle of anything. He just tells you upfront that everything is shared but he seems to have some kind of load balancing magic that somehow manages to give pretty much the performance promised by the paper specifications for most users when they need it. I don't think he will tolerate blatant abuse, though, but as long as you are not grinding the CPUs, grinding the disk or siphoning the full bandwidth pipe for weeks on end, you are pretty much going to get what you need from my experience.

• @poisson said:
    pipe for weeks on end

@manish has also been on the pipe for weeks on end I think..

Thanked by 1poisson