Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared Luxembourg Down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared Luxembourg Down

BuyShared Luxembourg DA reseller server is down since 4 hrs. As per support, they are waiting for datacenter to replace the bad RAM in the node.

4 hrs downtime is pretty awful, hope it does not turn out to be any other major issue.

Comments

• Also slices.
    but they have fast repair, just less than 15 minute my server live again.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

4hrs for swapping a memory module? sure?
    Hetzner does that in 10 minutes, sometimes even less.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Welcome to BuyVM support forums.

I am escalating your issue to our tech folks, please be patient for 69 hours until we resolve the issue.

Kind Regards,
    Raju Chamdi

• Had to move my services off BuyVM a while back, like Fran, but better stability with LunaNode & RamNode.

• its down from almost 3 hours @Francisco i don't know that changing ram take that much time

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Pending a ram replacement on it. Node crashed, rebooted and is sitting claiming a module is bad.

Anthony has kept people up to date in tickets.

Francisco

@jokymic said:
    its down from almost 3 hours @Francisco i don't know that changing ram take that much time

It's just a timing thing since they have a smaller team at night in LU. I dont have a dedicated tech in the city or anything.

Francisco

• @Francisco hope everything will be back soon thank you for the update

@jokymic said:
    @Francisco hope everything will be back soon thank you for the update

The minute it's possible to boot through the node I will. At least now we have a good idea as to why we have has crashes on this node.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Anthony has kept people up to date in tickets.

Francisco

Yes, Anthony responded promptly about the issue.

It would be nice if we receive some kind of outage alerts for these kind of downtimes.

I receive notifications from Uptime robot, but don't know which one is major or just a blip.

shakensoul said: Yes, Anthony responded promptly about the issue.

It would be nice if we receive some kind of outage alerts for these kind of downtimes.

I receive notifications from Uptime robot, but don't know which one is major or just a blip.

We'll send ane mail once we have it all sorted :)

Francisco

• well I had thought, since it is reseller and it affects a lot more of the customer's sub clients, at least the disk would be separate and could be easily booted by some other node.

This seems scary, close to 6 hour downtime now.
    I know I shouldn't complain because it is cheap. But are there any reseller hosts here that actually support booting from a different node(or some other basic redundancy) or this is common practice?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited November 2019

@evnix said:
    I know I shouldn't complain because it is cheap. But are there any reseller hosts here that actually support booting from a different node(or some other basic redundancy)?

Sure.

For $2? Maybe not.

• @Francisco said:

It's just a timing thing since they have a smaller team at night in LU.

Francisco

In LU it is about 9pm now. The outtage happened at about 2pm. No night time in LU

• Mic-hael said: Sure.

which ones?

• @evnix said:

Mic-hael said: Sure.

which ones?

Ones that are likely more expensive than just buying three BuyShared plans and DIY.

It's not gonna be just cheap easy boot the site up from another location! It's a service in itself, which adds value and costs.

• Mic-hael said: Ones that are likely more expensive than just buying three BuyShared plans and DIY.

You are giving me ideas!!

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@evnix said:
    well I had thought, since it is reseller and it affects a lot more of the customer's sub clients, at least the disk would be separate and could be easily booted by some other node.

I know I shouldn't complain because it is cheap. But are there any reseller hosts here that actually support booting from a different node(or some other basic redundancy) or this is common practice?

Any host that does HA is going to be expensive. More hardware and work puts the price up. Sure you can do it cheaper yourself but there is quite a bit of work involved.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Its running..

• @fburger said:
    Its running..

Don't let it run away

@Jord said:

@evnix said:
    well I had thought, since it is reseller and it affects a lot more of the customer's sub clients, at least the disk would be separate and could be easily booted by some other node.

Any host that does HA is going to be expensive. More hardware and work puts the price up. Sure you can do it cheaper yourself but there is quite a bit of work involved.

HA with shared is messy anyway. None of the panels on the market are going to support proper sharding and instead you're just doing HA of a large VM.

You'd have to have 3 nodes to protect things properly (so you don't have split brain). You're having to put up a lot of equipment, power, time, etc, and in the end you'll lose your goal of 99.999% uptime because Litespeed/Apache crashed or cPanel commits another bad update.

There's 'Continuous Replication' setups but you're spending low 5 figures on VMWARE just to license it.

Francisco

Thanked by 3Jord kkrajk MichaelCee

@fburger said:
    Its running..

Yeah, we're good. I'll send an email once I get a bit of sleep to go over things.

Big ball drop by root.lu though and still no real feedback.

Francisco

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

@Jord said:

@evnix said:

HA with shared is messy anyway. None of the panels on the market are going to support proper sharding and instead you're just doing HA of a large VM.

You'd have to have 3 nodes to protect things properly (so you don't have split brain). You're having to put up a lot of equipment, power, time, etc, and in the end you'll lose your goal of 99.999% uptime because Litespeed/Apache crashed or cPanel commits another bad update.

There's 'Continuous Replication' setups but you're spending low 5 figures on VMWARE just to license it.

Francisco

Couldn't agree more :)