Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DynBox Anniversary Special: 50% OFF recurring on all their servers. From 8,48€/year (with 1xIPv4)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DynBox Anniversary Special: 50% OFF recurring on all their servers. From 8,48€/year (with 1xIPv4)

DynBox 5 year anniversary gives you 50% OFF RECURRING on ANY of their servers using the code flashsale.
Since the bigger servers can't compete with Hetzner price wise I still wouldn't use them, but if you need a small IPv4 VPS for 8,48€/year (select quarterly payment and apply code "flashsale" during checkout = 2,12€/quarter) go for it :slight_smile:

https://dyn-box.de/lxc-server/

I once did a benchmark on the same VPS: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/115774/dyn-box-de-lxc-green-1-50-mo

100 Mbit/s and LXC are not something most people will jump at..but for that little side project that needs a dedicated IPv4 it could be a good option ;)

Comments

• It seems these servers are only for people in Germany. Can't seem to change country from "Germany" to anything else as the country drop down box only has Germany option.

• PapafatheadPapafathead Member
    edited November 2019

well i grabbed one u can use info from other country too

although i wanna ask if the price is recourring or not?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Only Germany available

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

@alilet said:
    Only Germany available

Probably because they are a Kleinunternehmer and don't want to meddle with international taxes. On the other hand they are not obliged to verify your origin soo..

• IPv6 ?

• I know a former system administrator of DynBox. A utilization of 90% + CPU of the host system was normal and not worrisome. I do not want to know how much steal the systems have :disappointed:

Thanked by 2vimalware Ympker
  • pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2019

Firs time I see VPS offer from Hamburg.
    Good job man.

Ooof, "partnered with elitepvpers" on their website makes me feel bad about this host. Last host from that forum was roasted here.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @pike said:
    Firs time I see VPS offer from Hamburg.
    Good job man.

Ooof, "partnered with elitepvpers" on their website makes me feel bad about this host. Last host from that forum was roasted here.

Agree that Elitepvpers is somewhat catering to a not so pleasant audience, then again at 2,12€/quarter you can't really go wrong and give it a try :)

• @default said:
    IPv6 ?

Best to ask support, I guess :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited November 2019

nevermind, i was drunk again.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Ok for some private Linux ISO torrents?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @BlaZe said:
    Ok for some private Linux ISO torrents?

Germany.. I wouldn't think so. Except.. if you opt for their FR location you will end up with OVH. We all know OVH.. https://dyn-box.de/lxc-server-fr/

• pike said: Ooof, "partnered with elitepvpers" on their website makes me feel bad about this host. Last host from that forum was roasted here.

I mean, do you want to host with a host associated with german hackforums

• AvoroAvoro Member, Host Rep

@hzr said:

pike said: Ooof, "partnered with elitepvpers" on their website makes me feel bad about this host. Last host from that forum was roasted here.

I mean, do you want to host with a host associated with german hackforums

I hope they offer "refounds" or have a good lawyer - LOL

• Their Hamburg location has weird routing for me (Berlin). Via Düsseldorf when connecting from Vodafone and via Frankfurt aM when connecting from DFN.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2019

@pike said:
    Their Hamburg location has weird routing for me (Berlin). Via Düsseldorf when connecting from Vodafone and via Frankfurt aM when connecting from DFN.

And where's the weird thing? :)
    According to their website they do not operate/route their own network but are using Artfiles.
    Artfiles has multiple PoPs in various German cities (cf. bgp.he.net#IX, bgp.he.net#peers and PeeringDB).
    So they might peer with Vodafone in DUS, DFN in FRA etc.
    Their will most likely have leased fiber lines between their Hamburg DC and their IX's so this won't impact performance besides adding a few ms allowing the light to travel between the cities.
    Operating diverse peering points is far better than just throwing everything to one or two upstreams in one local facility.

• pikepike Veteran
    edited November 2019

@dfroe said:

I want less, not more latency.

• @pike said:

@dfroe said:

Lol. A work of art.

Thanked by 1pike

@pike said:

At least according to that picture you shouldn't expect much jitter. SCNR :smiley:

If you're aiming for lowest latency, Frankfurt probably still is the way to go.

However I doubt human beings will be able to 'feel' the difference of added 5ms latency.
    But a congested link between Cogent and your local ISP in the evening hours adding a few percent packet loss is the first thing you notice. :smiley:

From my experience, good peerings and presence at IX is a key point for what I would call reliable network connectivity.

But of course every use case will have different goals and there are plenty other alternatives as well.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@pike said:
    Their Hamburg location has weird routing for me (Berlin). Via Düsseldorf when connecting from Vodafone and via Frankfurt aM when connecting from DFN.

Vodafone has degraded there shit network since a while.
    No wonder its getting routed that way.

I suspect they are routing from a few IX's to Hamburgs.
    Did you tried AMS or UK?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @dfroe said:
    At least according to that picture you shouldn't expect much jitter. SCNR :smiley:

LOL

@Ympker said:

@alilet said:
    Only Germany available

Probably because they are a Kleinunternehmer and don't want to meddle with international taxes.

As from January 2019 those small businesses (Kleinunternehmer) benefit from EU-wide simplified VAT rules as mentioned here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2877407/#Comment_2877407

In theory they should be able to service EU customers the same way without VAT as they already do with domestic customers.

So if anybody from EU should run into problems while registering, it might be worth sending them a note regarding this.

As for me, I have decided not to buy any more idlers just a few days before Black Friday. :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited October 2020

DynBox is closing down. Backup your data fast. I received the following message which is translated in English (original german is displayed as spoiler).

First of all, I want to thank you for your loyalty over the years! It was a great honor for me to support you in your project with my service. It was an eventful time that I enjoy looking back on. With a heavy heart, however, I have to inform you today that I will discontinue the dyn-Box project.

I've been running this project alongside my job for almost 6 years now and the time has come to reorient myself personally. A lot has changed in my private environment, so that I currently hardly find any time to actively supervise the project. One or the other customer will certainly have noticed this. I no longer achieve the response times that I once set myself as a goal. Besides the job, looking after the hardware and software was not always easy. Unfortunately, my own time is limited, so that I can no longer meet my own requirements for the project. Our colocation will be dismantled at the end of November.

I thank you for the great time, your customer loyalty and wish you all the best for your future!

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via the ticket system!

Hallo,

zuerst einmal möchte ich dir für deine Treue in den letzten Jahren danken! Es war mir eine große Ehre, dich in deinem Projekt mit meiner Dienstleistung zu unterstützen. Es war eine ereignisreiche Zeit, auf die ich sehr gerne zurückschaue. Schweren Herzens muss ich dir heute jedoch mitteilen, dass ich das Projekt dyn-Box einstellen werde.

Ich betreibe dieses Projekt seit mittlerweile knapp 6 Jahren neben meinem Beruf und es ist die Zeit gekommen, sich persönlich umzuorientieren. In meinem privaten Umfeld hat sich sehr viel verändert, sodass ich aktuell kaum noch Zeit finde, das Projekt aktiv zu betreuen. Das wird dem ein oder anderen Kunden mit Sicherheit bereits aufgefallen sein. Ich erreiche nicht mehr die Reaktionszeiten, die ich mir einmal als Ziel gesetzt hatte. Auch die Betreuung der Hard- und Software war, neben dem Beruf, nicht immer einfach. Meine eigene Zeit ist leider begrenzt, sodass ich meinen eigenen Anforderungen an das Projekt nicht mehr gerecht werden kann. Unsere Colocation wird zu Ende November abgebaut.

Ich bedanke mich für die tolle Zeit, deine Kundentreue und wünsche dir alles Gute für deine Zukunft!

Falls du Fragen hast, kannst du dich sehr gerne über das Ticketsystem an mich wenden!

Edit: I am aware this is a necro, but members need to be warned.

• Nope this is good news..

• another deadpool.

• Rip

• @Jackma1 said:
    another deadpool.

I think LET needs an official "deadpool" definition. Closing down business/service with more than 1.5 months notice wouldn't be what I would refer to as "deadpooling".

I consider providers that just checkout one day and never heard from again are for sure deadpooling, but where's the fine line (re: notice, refunds, lost service, lost data, etc).

Thanked by 1Abd
  • @TimboJones said:

@Jackma1 said:
    another deadpool.

I think LET needs an official "deadpool" definition. Closing down business/service with more than 1.5 months notice wouldn't be what I would refer to as "deadpooling".

I consider providers that just checkout one day and never heard from again are for sure deadpooling, but where's the fine line (re: notice, refunds, lost service, lost data, etc).

I agree, deadpool for me is providers that just ghost everyone, all services are down with no way to backup.

• @Ahfaiahkid said:

@TimboJones said:

@Jackma1 said:
    another deadpool.

I agree, deadpool for me is providers that just ghost everyone, all services are down with no way to backup.

I guess " deadpooled" at that point. Well, if you find out about it and it's still accessible, you can back it up. So no, not your definition for "deadpooling".