Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Noob: My 1st dedicated server what To consider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Noob: My 1st dedicated server what To consider?

ChievoChievo Member
edited November 2019 in Help

1)I am planning To move to my 1st dedicated server with Hetzner.What i must bear in mind? I am used To use a VPS where the OS is created with just 1 click. So what new things must i learn/do in that move. Yes i know like a noob i must not play with things like that etc but any advice would be welcome! It would be for my personal use Centos7 .

2) On hetzner i have 2 options rescue and choose OS .What i should use?

3) i am planning To move because my next step with VPS would cost me more money than a dedicated with hetzner. You know LET. Cost effectiveness.

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• VPS and dedi are the mostly the same thing for you. If you handle VPS well, same for dedi
    if you don't know, just choose OS

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • Put debian/proxmox on it from the outset, unless it's an Atom CPU. This way you'll get the best of both worlds: a dedicated server plus the means to make/break your own VPS.

Thanked by 2Chievo dahartigan
  • Most importantly pay your invoices in time. :smile:

Thanked by 2Chievo bdl
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Put debian/proxmox on it from the outset, unless it's an Atom CPU. This way you'll get the best of both worlds: a dedicated server plus the means to make/break your own VPS.

Even the poor little (potassium) Atom can handle Proxmox my good man :-) Unless nested virt is your requirement in which case "goto 10".

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Chievo
  • Personally, I don't run with the overhead on a (previously ARM, now Atom) lowend CPU. YMMV

Thanked by 2Chievo dahartigan
  • Buy AMD. Hetzner has Ryzens.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • Just remember to pick something affordable, make sure you set a powerful root password, take ssh off port 22 and don't mess with things you don't understand.

Other than that, nothing springs to mind.

Oh! they're not usually delivered instantly, so keep that in mind,

Good Luck!

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • edited November 2019

@Chievo said:
    1)I am planning To move to my 1st dedicated server with Hetzner.What i must bear in mind?

You're not going to have access to the system, and console access will be much more painful when you break something critical. There's nothing like feeling the sting of bad changes on a baremetal server you don't have access to, and you definitely learn to test your changes first after a couple of times. :)

CentOS 7 will reach end of life June 30, 2024, and re-installation is the recommended way to upgrade between releases.

Thanked by 2webcraft Chievo
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Personally, I don't run with the overhead on a (previously ARM, now Atom) lowend CPU. YMMV

Yeah, good call. The overhead is minimal, maybe around 700mb of RAM (which if you enable swap it mostly sits idle there)..

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • You need to consider how you are going to backup your server.

• ^ +1
    Unless it's a secondary/tertiary backup itself

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • @donli said:
    You need to consider how you are going to backup your server.

True! I have Proxmox, and have mounted google drive and added it as a storage/backup target. I also have other backups, but the google drive route is particularly awesome given it's unlimited (if you already use gsuite for plex etc) so you can do backups every minute if you really really wanted to be insane.

I also have a sys arm box as a storage/backup location.

@AlwaysSkint thoughts? :-)

• @dahartigan Do you store the remote GDrive backups in encrypted form?

A more realistic (non-peer-to-peer) remote Continual Data Protection would be backups at 5 minutes intervals, at best. Much depends on how large your differential data sets are though. IMHumbleO
    Excluding HA, I've only done CDP at hourly intervals, finding the compromise between resilience and Load. Much depends on the data environment and typical usage.

A totally false sense of security, I know but for some reason I prefer my client's data not to be held by a provider whose primary purpose is to crawl for data.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Get a dedicated server with a provider who is responsive and provides stable economic rates. Find one who will work with your needs and allow you to grow if you do need more resources in a adjustable manner.

Go with Proxmox or other virtualization (ESXi etc) if you want to save room to try another OS. 'Harden' your Linux server and secure SSH entry by changing default port as well as restricting access from certain IP ranges.

Thanked by 2AlwaysSkint Chievo
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

In terms of remote backups;
    EU: I've found the old SYS ARM bargain basement dedicated server excellent, recently replaced by a Scaleway one - less space but cheaper & quicker.
    USA: LETBox has been a bargain storage VPS, with very little outage and great network speed. My awesomely cheap Unreal Servers BF (on WHT) deal is also excellent - please don't take it away!

Thanked by 2Chievo letbox
  • 1gservers1gservers Member, Patron Provider

@digitalbs said:
    Oh! they're not usually delivered instantly, so keep that in mind,

This is true. However, more providers are now offering "Instant" or "Auto Deploy" dedicated servers. Even with a provider that does offer this, they also have servers you can customize if you don't need it right away.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • Since its your 1st server why not go with a provider that offers real support? thier servers are strickly unmanaged unless if you pay and buy a managed server.

• @SkyNetHosting said:
    Since its your 1st server why not go with a provider that offers real support? thier servers are strickly unmanaged unless if you pay and buy a managed server.

Managed dedicated server is out of my budget. Unfortunately :(

• mustafamw3mustafamw3 Member, Patron Provider

Chievo said: Managed dedicated server is out of my budget. Unfortunately

>

How much is your budget?

• @mustafamw3 said:

Chievo said: Managed dedicated server is out of my budget. Unfortunately

>

How much is your budget?

100 euro/monthly i will have a hetzner for 70 the rest for backup