Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Importance of CHEAP colocation & dedicated & VPS servers in Sillicon Valley
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Importance of CHEAP colocation & dedicated & VPS servers in Sillicon Valley

bibi421bibi421 Member
edited November 2019 in General

I'm planning to colocate few HP proliant servers in San Jose, CA.

these are the pricing and the server specifications

-Dedicated Server
Dual E5-2640 (12 cores 24 threads total / Up to 3Ghz)
96GB ECC Memory
Raid1 256GB or Raid0 512GB SSD

250Mbps Unmetered Port
1 dedicated IP

$74/month

-VPS (@ above dedicated server)
2 cores
4GB Memory
20GB SSD
100mbps unmetered
=$8

4 cores
8GB Memory
30GB SSD
100mbps unmetered
=$17

6 cores
24GB Memory
50GB SSD
150mbps unmetered
=$38

All of these servers are including Free 10 Gbps DDoS Protection + GTT & HE mixed Network
(Up to 200Gbps ddos protection via addon)

Are these needed..?

Poll
  1. Are these needed?16 votes
    1. Yes
        6.25%
    2. No
      31.25%
    3. Yes! It looks cheap
        0.00%
    4. No! It looks bit expensive
      25.00%
    5. No! It looks expensive
      37.50%

Comments

• Very overpriced and not good network but I will take VPS

Thanked by 1bibi421
  • I'm interested in san jose and santa clara. I am upset when people list SF or bay area or SV and they're actually in fremont.

• Very overpriced for LET,

compare price from upcloud (San Jose) with good network + maxiop

https://upcloud.com/pricing/

• the location would be interesting for sure (if its the real one, not like most people advertise buffalo as new york city), but you need lower plans also. i would be interested in a small kvm there

• Thank you for the opinion :smile:

• The datacenter is actually located in downtown San Jose.

• Sorry.. The list of network providers are wrong... The actual network Tier 1 providers are Telia, NTT, GTT NLayer, HE, Cogent, China Telecom, China Unicom, China Mobile.

• Does it include refound opention if payed quarently?

Thanked by 1bdl
  • @dahartigan said:
    Does it include refound opention if payed quarently?

@dahartigan said:
    Does it include refound opention if payed quarently?

I’m planning 7 days refund policy.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2019

Too expensive, a Ryzen 3700X might be faster and use less power, it's 2019 and nobody wants 100mbps network any more, and what's wrong with Fremont?

• @willie said:
    Too expensive, a Ryzen 3700X might be faster and use less power, it's 2019 and nobody wants 100mbps network any more, and what's wrong with Fremont?

And here I thought kimsufi is in high demand. Then again, their prices are 1/5 of these...

• People complain all the time about kimsufi 100mbps but then buy it anyway because it's cheap. They particularly like the KS1 which is about $5/month. The ones that are 1/3 of $70 don't sell well at all.

• @willie said:
    People complain all the time about kimsufi 100mbps but then buy it anyway because it's cheap. They particularly like the KS1 which is about $5/month. The ones that are 1/3 of $70 don't sell well at all.

If you push a lot of bandwidth, KS is cheap. You consistently get the full 100mbits because OVH has excellent networks and that works out to be about 1TB of bandwidth per day. How much would 30TB bandwidth monthly at 1gbps cost with other providers?

• poisson said: How much would 30TB bandwidth monthly at 1gbps cost with other providers?

If you mean OVH's usual competitors, much less than $70.

• bibi421bibi421 Member
    edited November 2019

Maybe I can do Dual Xeon E5-2640 96GB memory + 1Gbps shared Unmetered Network (usually 800 download/900 upload) for $64

Also the location is a point

• I don't really care about unmetered network. Who cares about seeding from a specific location? Would rather have 5TB at 1gbps and pay less. Also the E5-2640 is not all that attractive. Am happy with a lower powered 2 hdd system with more storage. Even more interested in colo space for an owned server, since thread title mentions colo. Idea has been to try aquanx for that, but if you can do something comparable then that's great.

• @willie said:
    I don't really care about unmetered network. Who cares about seeding from a specific location? Would rather have 5TB at 1gbps and pay less. Also the E5-2640 is not all that attractive. Am happy with a lower powered 2 hdd system with more storage. Even more interested in colo space for an owned server, since thread title mentions colo. Idea has been to try aquanx for that, but if you can do something comparable then that's great.

ok :smile: