Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pCloud Singles Day offer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

pCloud Singles Day offer

Just saw that pCloud is offering a Singles Day (11.11) offer (75% off) for their lifetime cloud storage for 48 hours: https://www.pcloud.com/cloud-storage-pricing-plans.html?label=Singles_Day&channelid=577&discount=SinglesDay2019

They are based in Switzerland and operating since 2013. They have native Linux clients that comes in GUI and CLI flavors (yay for LET folks). I have their free plan to Webdav some small stuff and it has been working very well. Just putting this up if anyone is interested in what I consider to be one of the most viable alternatives to Google Drive or Dropbox.

As always, do your due diligence and sign up only if you are comfortable.

Comments

• $245 for lifetime 2TB? That's the same price they had last BF. OTOH, >= 8TB WD HDDs have dropped in price over the last year with 12TB WD HDDs currently on sale for $180...

• +1 for pCloud.
    +2 if it comes with crypto

• I'm wondering if it is blocked in China.

• lifetime one-shot price package sounds good, but I was wondering if lifetime really exists.

• 502 Bad Gateway

• @zhujiwiki said:
    502 Bad Gateway

Sounds like GFW block

• @aRNoLD said:
    lifetime one-shot price package sounds good, but I was wondering if lifetime really exists.

Lifetime deals are real. They are good until they end.

Thanked by 2vimalware mrTom
  • No surprise it is blocked in China.

@zhujiwiki said:
    502 Bad Gateway

• Is pCloud significantly better/more reliable than other companies that offer lifetime storage deals, like Degoo (10TB lifetime for $89.99), ThunderDrive (stackable 2TB lifetime for $39), and Polar Backup (5TB for $79.99)? (All prices are current as of right now on StackSocial).

• @aRNoLD said:
    lifetime one-shot price package sounds good, but I was wondering if lifetime really exists.

I think pcloud is pretty decent as far as this type of service goes. I got their 500 GB deal a few years ago. It's still working. No obvious problems that would make me wonder too much whether or not they'll be around at least for another few years.

Last time I checked it seemed like the server I was connected to was somewhere in Florida. Now as far as I can tell the website (or api server) traces to Dallas. (Haven't double checked - point is just that the storage for my account doesn't seem to be served via Switzerland. Which is fine for me, in west coast USA)

Thanked by 2vimalware poisson
  • user123 said: ThunderDrive (stackable 2TB lifetime for $39)

One of my friend got it and it works fine for him since a couple of months. But pcloud has been there for long and used by many.

Thanked by 1user123
  • @manish said:

user123 said: ThunderDrive (stackable 2TB lifetime for $39)

One of my friend got it and it works fine for him since a couple of months. But pcloud has been there for long and used by many.

review says thunderdrive is really slow?
    anyone using it?

• greattomeetyou said: anyone using it?

My friend is, what do you want me to test for you? He has 100 Mbit/s connection and it gives him good speed from India.

• @manish said:

greattomeetyou said: anyone using it?

My friend is, what do you want me to test for you? He has 100 Mbit/s connection and it gives him good speed from India.

Can you do a geekbench 4 and 5. Also, I need you to see if it can sustain a 100TB file transfer at good speeds. Hurry back with the results.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@dahartigan said:

Can you do a geekbench 4 and 5. Also, I need you to see if it can sustain a 100TB file transfer at good speeds. Hurry back with the results.

Ya right :-)

Cheers

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Not touching 'lifetime storage' with my pole

• That's $1.225/mo for 10 years usage, which is too expensive for me

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

Thunderdrive including the 2 TB upsell cost is $99 for 4 TB. Even though a "Lifetime" deal, assume 36 months lifespan on lower side, and 60 months on higher side.

Works out to $ 0.41/TB/month for 60 months, $0.69/TB/month over 36 months.

For now, transfers over web only. Uploads are a dog over Firefox/opera.

You know what they say about if it's too good to be true

I've done worse things in life.

Thanked by 2Ympker user123
  • @Chocoweb said:
    That's $1.225/mo for 10 years usage, which is too expensive for me

Software costs $

Did you find some open source alternatives, with all their software included, e.g. mobile, linux, windows, mac?

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Bullshit

1. Lifetime? really? REALLY?
    2. 245$ for 2TB?!
  • Nope.

• @user123 said:
    Is pCloud significantly better/more reliable than other companies that offer lifetime storage deals, like Degoo (10TB lifetime for $89.99), ThunderDrive (stackable 2TB lifetime for $39), and Polar Backup (5TB for $79.99)? (All prices are current as of right now on StackSocial).

pCloud has been around for a while and seems ok. They are kind of like Google and Dropbox with syncing. Degoo is more of a cold-backup: you dump data into it that you don't expect to take out often. I have no comments about ThunderDrive and Polar Backup. I have no problems with pCloud and Degoo, although my Degoo is quite overkill for now.

Thanked by 1user123
  • We need a CocuiCloud lifetime storage deal.

• @ITLabs said:
    We need a CocuiCloud lifetime storage deal.

He had a 3-year DraculaCloud deal. Did you not succumb to your blood being sucked?

• @vyas11 said:

Yup. I don't know how Thunderdrive works, but I know how Degoo works. They make money through advertising. They have an advertising supported 100GB version where you can add gigs by watching advertisements, and if you don't log in after X days, your account is deleted. I suspect the bulk of their revenue comes from there where people are helping them to make money through advertising, then forget to login and they delete the account, keeping the profits.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • @poisson said:

@ITLabs said:
    We need a CocuiCloud lifetime storage deal.

He had a 3-year DraculaCloud deal. Did you not succumb to your blood being sucked?

Nope... I was afraid.

Thanked by 3vyas11 plumberg uptime
  • @poisson said:

@vyas11 said:

Yup. I don't know how Thunderdrive works, but I know how Degoo works. They make money through advertising. They have an advertising supported 100GB version where you can add gigs by watching advertisements, and if you don't log in after X days, your account is deleted. I suspect the bulk of their revenue comes from there where people are helping them to make money through advertising, then forget to login and they delete the account, keeping the profits.

Yea I had read about Degoo free and decided to stay away. I thought the cpu of free account users was used for certain mining operations too ?

Thunderdrive has an interesting story. Apparently quite controversial- they use a standard envato script, and they have two sets of accounts.

.eu and .io. Some customers are mapped to .eu, some to both, others only to .io. Upload speeds are okay ish in North America, I get piss poor upload speeds here, vpn nakes little difference.

Many ppl have left bad reviews on Trustpilot, and Thunderdrive has had them reviewed/removed and in some cases Reviewers accounts blocked. Eight weeks or more to get refund unless PP dispute is raised and PP are also pushing back due to many claims.

I think it will be an interesting case to see how they evolve. The roadmap shows desktop app, ios and android apps ( again, .eu sire shows apps have been submitted- planned launched was Q3 2019). The other site does not.

Disclaimer: My above comments may overly critical but also with a tinge of Stockholm syndrome.

Remember the Sri Lankan guy who was offering 200 GB free? Ru cloud or something? The interface of Thunder drive is Nearly identical

• @vyas11 said:
    Yea I had read about Degoo free and decided to stay away. I thought the cpu of free account users was used for certain mining operations too ?

Not that I know of. They are on GCP now and it doesn't look like they do anything of the sort. They do claim that their app compresses your files before uploading.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

Not sure if this is still the case. For 100 GB Free account

https://cloudeereviews.com/review/degoo/

Quote:
    Cons:
    Tries hard to have you install other apps on desktop.
    Windows and Mac app is really lacking.
    Mines cryptocurrancy using your spare CPU cycles.

• dahartigan said: Can you do a geekbench 4 and 5. Also, I need you to see if it can sustain a 100TB file transfer at good speeds. Hurry back with the results.

Share command for geek bench and I will.