Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a server capable of running OBS!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a server capable of running OBS!

I am looking to create a 24/7 Live Stream for YouTube for example, this will only consist of 1 live stream for now, nothing too fancy just a GIF or a looping video with some audio running 24/7.

My highest that I can go is 25 EUR/mo.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Depends on what is your output stream resolution and bitrates, but my suggestion is get a VPS with dedicated core and at least 2TB of bandwidth. Which should cost less than $10/m.

• sgno1sgno1 Member
    edited November 2019
    • 1920x1080
    • Video Bitrate 4,000 - 8,000 kbps
    • Audio Bitrate 192 kbps

Or

• 1280x720
    • Video Bitrate 1,200 - 8,000 kbps
    • Audio Bitrate 128 kbps

I'm looking for a framerate of something between 30-60.

edited November 2019

Assume constant bitrate of 8192Kbps = 2.6TB per month, then you can look for a VPS with about 3TB of bandwidth.

I believe @HostDoc can provide VPS with 1 dedicated core with those specs within your budget. Do you have any location requirements?

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • Would be nice to have within the EU if possible, but is it possible to run at a decent frame rate without a fancy iGPU?

@sgno1 said:
    Would be nice to have within the EU if possible, but is it possible to run at a decent frame rate without a fancy iGPU?

Good question, I am just thinking any decent CPU should get the job done because there isn't much to render on the input source, I might be wrong tho.

• @sgno1 said:
    Would be nice to have within the EU if possible, but is it possible to run at a decent frame rate without a fancy iGPU?

You will be fine but better to get dedi then just dedicated core vps. If you were saying looped video or gif, ur bitrates will be in lower range than 8Mbps and wouldn't need more than 25fps.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

Hey! We can surely help you with this ;) I've hit up a PM with more details as it would be more convenient to chat than a lengthy post here!

• @sgno1 said:

x264 (default H.264 encoder in OBS) doesn't utilize GPU. Encoding a stand-still image (1080p60) with minimal movement might require 25% of a core, and video game or real-life footage will easily use 4 or more (relatively).

You can choose a faster encoding preset to use less CPU power at the expense of quality or increased bitrate (whilst keeping the same quality).

Test your stream on your own PC to see if 1 core is enough (though desktop CPU cores are normally faster than server ones).

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

A Xeon E5-2650 works well for this.

but the VPS must have 10 Cores so that it can emit without problems.

but based on what you tell me I think 4 Cores would be enough.

send me a PM to give you a VPS that I can test.

• @sgno1 said:
    I am looking to create a 24/7 Live Stream for YouTube for example, this will only consist of 1 live stream for now, nothing too fancy just a GIF or a looping video with some audio running 24/7.

My highest that I can go is 25 EUR/mo.

any specific server location?

• If Romania its OK with you, I have what you need.

• Unless I'm mistaken, OBS still needs GPU access for scene compositing. Your best bet is probably a small dedi with an iGPU from the likes of Hetzner, Ikoula, Kimsufi etc. YMMV with Kimsufi though, I found some of their motherboards don't actually support the onboard iGPU

There's also a few providers that will do a VDS/VPS with a GPU, like wishosting.

If you're not locked into OBS, you can probably do this with ffmpeg x264 ultrafast on most VPSs. 8k bitrate will be more than enough for a gif. Just be cautious of CPU usage and providers policies; dedicated cores are great but a cheap dedi is probably the way to go, even if you don't need the GPU for OBS

• I tried ffmepg, but the connection keeps breaking from the live stream. If you know how to actually set it up I could stick to an alternative and try something smaller.

• Also it would be convenient to have it within the EU, just makes it easier for me to constantly manage it without it lagging too much (ping wise).

• Still searching for something!

• KsygoKsygo Member
    edited November 2019

I'm more familiar with Twitch than YouTube Live, but haven't had issues with ffmpeg dropping. There used to be a bug where ffmpeg would stall after a while (talking a month+) but seems to have been patched now. Make sure you're looping the input(s) correctly and have enough CPU for your chosen settings/preset

One thing I also didn’t mention about the ffmpeg approach is if you render your video correctly ahead of time, you can simply remux the live audio into the video when outputting, without having to live encode video; significantly reducing CPU usage. This of course means no live elements like “Now Playing: x” on the video however.

There's loads of guides around for 24/7 YouTube music streams with ffmpeg, even some pre-done tools. See: https://github.com/torch2424/live-stream-radio You can probably adapt these to other types of 24/7 streams

Maybe wait until Black Friday now unless you need it asap, hopefully there'll be some deals

• You can get a hefty windows server here for about half that.

https://my.letbox.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=109

It'll let you use OBS however you need, assuming OBS runs headless. Looking forward to a 24/7 live stream of whatever old cartoon or show you are planning to show on loop.

• Last time I checked OBS in 2017, there was severe frame drop without iGPU. It won't work even with a very powerful CPU unless it has a GPU/iGPU. You can use an i3 from Kimsufi or i7 auction server from Hetzner.