Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why are the LEB Feed offers, posted in offers allowed to break the rules?

Comments

• AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

Actions speak louder than words:
    I will make lowendinfo dot com available to whomever wants to step up to the challenge of hosting/maintaining the Vanilla alternative. Serious 'entrepreneurs' only, please.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Actions speak louder than words:
    I will make lowendinfo dot com available to whomever wants to step up to the challenge of hosting/maintaining the Vanilla alternative. Serious 'entrepreneurs' only, please.

Perfect domain name. We just need a decent powered VPS owned by someone who will never be a hosting provider to set it up so that there will not be a conflict of interest.

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @angstrom said:

@AC_Fan said:
    Honestly, any of the mentioned solutions will work: migrate to HB, create a new Vanilla (or similar) forum, create a subreddit. The important thing is that only one should be chosen, otherwise the fractured userbase will just make the community die a slow death.

I'm not sure that HB would be the best option for replacing LET. For one, the relative unfamiliarity of the software (Discourse) wouldn't help; but HB's "atmosphere" is also rather different from LET's.

(Just my two cents; otherwise, I agree with you.)

Yeah, I get the "atmosphere" part. I think the best option is to create a new Vanilla forum and get all the top providers over there, we'll be just fine. If that doesn't work, I'll trust Jar-car before I trust the Reddit team.

Thanked by 2angstrom TheLinuxBug
  • Yep. This is going to be the last black friday.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Chievo said:
    What is life? Without LET? Really?

stop visiting and you will see .. that you control your destiny .. .after all is said and done :: whitesnake "sailing ships"

• @vimalware said:
    I think it's as simple as the ' best of year' providers announcing that they will not be advertising their most insane BF deals on LET. Edit: looks like @poisson already has the right idea.

Part 2 of the plan is to lobby alternative forum admins to create a registered-user only Dealz category.

Strike when consumer greed is hottest.

If we get the alternative forum up, all the volunteer admins and ex-admins here will provide more than enough manpower to do specials to launch it with a bang. And those migrating to the alternative forum can leave a signature directing others to the new forum.

Hopefully Black Friday 2019 will be a uniquely special BF for the low end community that we will all reminisce in the years to come.

• If there is a new platform, BF deals could be the best moment to redirect traffic to the other place.

But it's not going to happen. Life does not work that way, neither forums.

Thanked by 2default vimalware
  • Perhaps I'm the only one sick enough to actually read Deluxe's presentations. I'm sure that a company with 6,600+ employees and USD 2B+ in annual revenue doesn't give a shit about what happens here.

That being said, since two of their traditional business areas are stable or declining (promotional products and checks) they intend to focus growth on the cloud market segment. They even consider GoDaddy a competitor!

I may be wrong, but probably they (Deluxe) are pushing ColoCrossing for results. This could justify the general price increase in the offers published on LEB. This could also help to explain the madness that is going on here (forced LEB feed offers). In short (my conjecture): Deluxe ate someone's ass at ColoCrossing who decided (in despair) to try every single shitty method to deliver results.

CC could work together with its resellers to improve product quality and customer satisfaction, and they could purge the bad providers at LEB. They could also work together with this community, being present daily, contributing with knowledge and moderation. Maybe CC, as a corporation, doesn't know what happens here. But the guys directly in charge of LET are doing it wrong imho, they decided on the easiest and fastest way. Why? Because they know that fresh customers will always pop up to be scammed.

LET is made by few people. How many of us are here every day and really interact, moderate and help? The vast majority are lurkers. If these few people give up this will quickly turn into a shit hole, and CC will have two options: look at LET in a professional way or just let it die.

I like LET, I learn and have fun every day here. @AnthonySmith hope you don't give up and fight with us until the end is nigh. I would like this community to be preserved, but if things really get worse, I won't mind moving to a new home with all of you (cociu and HIS sisters in a separate room, please).

My 0.01

• @itlabs I spent about an hour last night reading through the "trials & tribulations" of a former employer. Acquisitions, indictments etc. (Clue: Was 2nd largest software company). Thought that was sad too. ;)

Thanked by 2ITLabs lazyt
  • defaultdefault Veteran
    edited November 2019

Indeed, Black Friday deals should be on the new board, not this one, because this would generate a community migration with a bang!

Edit: just think about it: community anniversary will always be at Black Friday, even more deals!

• Final BF of LET mega deals

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • AlwaysSkintAlwaysSkint Member
    edited November 2019

@poisson said:
    Perfect domain name. We just need a decent powered VPS owned by someone who will never be a hosting provider to set it up so that there will not be a conflict of interest.

I'm almost willing, though I do provide hosting in a niche market to a dozen or so clients. Time/mental health are the limiting factors. As long as the "owner" of the forum can remain impartial I don't think a provider should be excluded, especially with a small mod. team to give 'em a slap on the wrist. Crap, smacking is banned in Scotland now! :-o

There are a few people that I generally don't agree with on here but reckon they'd make great mods. on a replacement forum. :-) I also don't see an issue with a hosting provider using the platform for promotion - CC does it already!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2019

@AlwaysSkint said:

@poisson said:

I'm almost willing, though I do provide hosting in a niche market to a dozen or so clients. Time/mental health are the limiting factors. As long as the "owner" of the forum can remain impartial I don't think a provider should be excluded, especially with a small mod. team to give 'em a slap on the wrist. Crap, smacking is banned in Scotland now! :-o

You can own it, and delegate the tasks involved in setting it up. I'm sure someone here is experienced with Vanilla enough to help with that.

• Thanks for the encouragement guys, 'tis really good on a Friday, as that tends to be my "doing" day.
    Getting a few ideas pushed at me and keep it flowing. I've got my idling nexus bytes VPS but suspect disc space will be the limiting factor. Anyone willing to sponsor a platform?
    You'll notice that I'm not tagging anyone in particular in my responses, as I want to open this to all community members.

Mods. would this particular subject be better off in its' own thread?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I am not familiar with Vanilla, but I am going to install one on an idling server to familiarise myself with the backend and I am willing to donate a couple of hours every day to help set up the forum if that's what is lacking from making this thing reality.

• Context: I have more bloody VPS than I have clients, no thanks to LET and you guys with the irresistible deals.

Thanked by 2ITLabs dahartigan
  • @AlwaysSkint said:
    Thanks for the encouragement guys, 'tis really good on a Friday, as that tends to be my "doing" day.
    Getting a few ideas pushed at me and keep it flowing. I've got my idling nexus bytes VPS but suspect disc space will be the limiting factor. Anyone willing to sponsor a platform?
    You'll notice that I'm not tagging anyone in particular in my responses, as I want to open this to all community members.

Mods. would this particular subject be better off in its' own thread?

Let's not tag anyone because I don't want to have anyone, especially providers in a spot.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@ITLabs said:
    Perhaps I'm the only one sick enough to actually read Deluxe's presentations

Misery loves company. My quick take- cannot offer 0.01 cents because that is 71 paise (0.71 INR) at current rate.

LET is a non core asset of a non core asset (CC) for Deluxe. They could very well happily exit CC in 2-3 years after dressing up the balance sheet and asking for 15 to 18 percent annualised return. Enough for bosses to take home fat bonuses in 2021/22 XMas because core business seems to be levelling.

LET is most likely still a cost center - after a few last minute half baked attempts to monetise, the ad revenue would not justify keeping this on their books. That leaves with value of community and alexa etc. ranking.

If the community is growing, there are ways to put a price tag on number of users or number of active users, average value of transaction per user, Unlocked value of site ranking and ad revenue etc. Not sure about metrics in US but in India a half ass startup with a community/ 50,000 app downloads can get upto 10 USD ‘value’ per user or download. Active users, revenue etc do not matter because of bubble effect and everyone want to sell their stake to the next guy at 3x-5x returns.

Coming back to the issue at hand If the above metrics do not please the shareholders then the management will get into cosmetic surgery mode, unfortunately liposuction instead of silicone enhancements.

To sum it up, my hypothesis is that another 3 to 4 quarters and one way or another LET change hands.

Edit: plan B as is being discussed should be more from the constructive POV rather than reactionary. I haven’t been on LET long enough to share or feel the intensity of the frustration some of you may feel but can certainly empathise.

Thanked by 2uptime ITLabs
  • seriesnseriesn Member
    edited November 2019

AlwaysSkint said: I've got my idling nexus bytes VPS but suspect disc space will be the limiting factor. Anyone willing to sponsor a platform?

Shoot me your ID, I will gladly up the resource :)

@Francisco offers some quality DDOS protection for the bucks and might be the best place to host the "Next LET". Because H@XoRz and L33Ts #YoloSwag

• @vyas11 said:
    If the above metrics do not please the shareholders then the management will get into cosmetic surgery mode, unfortunately liposuction instead of silicone enhancements.

PMSL
    Or just get into embezzlement. :-|

• LET as a community is not some fucking corporate digits. I think we need to stand firm on this shit.

• I'm happy to help setup/assist with issues if needed. Had a bit of experience a few years back now with Vanilla setting up/hosting, just shoot me a message if ever needed. :-)

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • @cybertech has the suggestion to use the Blesta style forum (https://invisioncommunity.com/). What's the consensus?

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited November 2019

Why LET Moderators/Top Providers/Hosts with Provider tags (I think there could be 30-50 ACTIVE ones here) can't come together and start a different forum and post offers over there and abandon this ship? (I'm aware there is Hostballs, but the post made on that site are few compared to LET). Providers are posting/replying to the threads here make rest of us (VM users/customers) to visit LET on daily/weekly basis. If you (Providers) guys stop posting your offers/tech related announcements on LET/replying to Outages threads,etc, we, the customers, will also stop coming here. Let ColoCrossing and Deluxe be the only ONE who post their offers and then who cares if LET is live or dead! It's traffic will automatically slide down.

I know a new forum might take 10-12 months to rank higher in search results and NEW customers flow will be low in the beginning, but it will catch up with LET forum quite sooner as there will be no crap offers!

Abandon the ship and we follow you! It's time to hop on a better, clean alternative

• @AlwaysSkint said:
    @cybertech has the suggestion to use the Blesta style forum (https://invisioncommunity.com/). What's the consensus?

I think we should stick to Vanilla. We should make migration as easy as possible.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have been planning to convert the lowendspirit forum to vanilla for years (easy to verify) I have had a version running for about 6 months with no time (never seems super urgent) to get it finished.

LET not really being what it was when I started it 6 or so years ago it seems pointless having a dedicated forum for just that so i will open it right up and keep the actual LowEnd spirit alive, those that want to be part of that are welcome.

Maybe I will now, I am not looking for mass exodus or a vpsboard type split, I don't think that is healthy, I am happy to offer a healthy alternative, an alternative that does not pretend not to be commercially motivated but understands that a healthy community is a healthy environment for business to thrive and thriving business is a healthy support for a thriving community.

I think that's my mind made up, you know where to find me.

• @Sofia_K said:
    Why LET Moderators/Top Providers/Hosts with Provider tags (I think there could be 30-50 ACTIVE ones here) can't come together and start a different forum and post offers over there and abandon this ship? (I'm aware there is Hostballs, but the post made on that site are few compared to LET). Providers are posting/replying to the threads here make rest of us (VM users/customers) to visit LET on daily/weekly basis. If you (Providers) guys stop posting your offers/tech related announcements on LET/replying to Outages threads,etc, we, the customers, will also stop coming here. Let ColoCrossing and Deluxe be the only ONE who post their offers and then who cares if LET is live or dead! It's traffic will automatically slide down.

I know a new forum might take 10-12 months to rank higher in search results and NEW customers flow will be low in the beginning, but it will catch up with LET forum quite sooner as there will be no crap offers!

Abandon the ship and we follow you!

This is why now is the best time. With insane BF offers exclusive to the alternative forum you don't need to worry about slow influx of customers at the beginning.

Thanked by 1Sofia_K
  • PM'd @seriesn with ID - as it matches my last octet of IP address ;)
    Goes to re-read @AnthonySmith as, in my reckoning, he's gotta be top candidate.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I have been planning to convert the lowendspirit forum to vanilla for years (easy to verify) I have had a version running for about 6 months with no time (never seems super urgent) to get it finished.

LET not really being what it was when I started it 6 or so years ago it seems pointless having a dedicated forum for just that so i will open it right up and keep the actual LowEnd spirit alive, those that want to be part of that are welcome.

Maybe I will now, I am not looking for mass exodus or a vpsboard type split, I don't think that is healthy, I am happy to offer a healthy alternative, an alternative that does not pretend not to be commercially motivated but understands that a healthy community is a healthy environment for business to thrive and thriving business is a healthy support for a thriving community.

I think that's my mind made up, you know where to find me.

I think there is a great community here that had developed its on character and my sense is that many would like LET to continue that way, just that we don't want that CC/LEB cancer in the community, and we have no way of stopping that because we do not have the control levers. I don't think we should worry about whether a mass exodus is healthy or not; people are free to walk and enough people think walking out is the right thing to do, that's healthy.

This discussion has been closed.