Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need advice on pay-as-you-go CPU Servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need advice on pay-as-you-go CPU Servers

Hi guys:
I will do some NLP work and need to training my models, could you help advice me some providers on pay-as-you-go CPU Servers? Or do you know some platforms serve clients like me? No GPU requirement.

Maybe OVH is a choice, if any others?

Thank you for your help

Comments

• DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy

Vultr?

Thanked by 1Creling
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Did anyone mention Hetzner?

Thanked by 2Creling Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner and Lunanode (dedicated vCPU/compute optimized) has per hour billing too

• @Jord said:

Hetzner

Thanked by 2Creling Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner of course

Thanked by 2ITLabs Hetzner_OL
  • Hetzner

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited November 2019

On a more serious note, LunaNode is excellent value and their performance and stability is even better. They have Canada and France options. $USD 3.50/mo gets you started.

BinaryLane for Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in Australia. Unbeatable low-end value, again, excellent performance and stability. $AUD 4/mo gets you a seat on a server in Brisbane. Blows my mind.

I would recommend both those providers all day long. My go-to for "I really need this shit to work and not worry about it going offline" projects.

Thanked by 1termau
  • @Creling said:
    Hi guys:
    I will do some NLP work and need to training my models, could you help advice me some providers on pay-as-you-go CPU Servers? Or do you know some platforms serve clients like me? No GPU requirement.

Thank you for your help

Do you have a large dataset? If you do, you might take a really long time without a dedicated GPU, and I am not sure if cloud providers have any limits on CPU usage.

• @poisson said:

@Creling said:
    Hi guys:

Thank you for your help

Do you have a large dataset? If you do, you might take a really long time without a dedicated GPU, and I am not sure if cloud providers have any limits on CPU usage.

LunaNode gives you the option to pay extra for dedicated use of CPU, it's actually kinda neat. I did that so I could transcode some large videos without abusing the node, and it worked out nicely. Not even expensive either.

Thanked by 2uptime poisson
  • CrelingCreling Member
    edited November 2019

dahartigan said: LunaNode gives you the option to pay extra for dedicated use of CPU, it's actually kinda neat. I did that so I could transcode some large videos without abusing the node, and it worked out nicely. Not even expensive either.

thanks, maybe I will try LonaNode Compute-Optimized Virtual Machines, btw, do you know which cpu they use?

• @Jord said:

ah, yes, I happen to have a Hetzner account 😄

• poisson said: Do you have a large dataset? If you do, you might take a really long time without a dedicated GPU, and I am not sure if cloud providers have any limits on CPU usage.

ah, some effective algorithm like gensim will not cost GPU resource 😜. No GPU is not to purse cheap, but to fit my need. 😝

• @Creling said:

dahartigan said: LunaNode gives you the option to pay extra for dedicated use of CPU, it's actually kinda neat. I did that so I could transcode some large videos without abusing the node, and it worked out nicely. Not even expensive either.

thanks, maybe I will try LonaNode Compute-Optimized Virtual Machines, btw, do you know which cpu they use?

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 62
    model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v2 @ 3.00GHz
    stepping        : 4
    microcode       : 0x1
    cpu MHz         : 2999.998
    cache size      : 25600 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 1
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 1
    apicid          : 0
    initial apicid  : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon rep_good nopl cpuid tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq vmx ssse3 cx16 pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand hypervisor lahf_lm pti tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust smep erms xsaveopt
    bugs            : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds swapgs
    bogomips        : 5999.99
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

I hope that helps. Not sure if their entire fleet is identical though. Maybe @perennate can shed some light :-)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @Creling said:

poisson said: Do you have a large dataset? If you do, you might take a really long time without a dedicated GPU, and I am not sure if cloud providers have any limits on CPU usage.

ah, some effective algorithm like gensim will not cost GPU resource 😜. No GPU is not to purse cheap, but to fit my need. 😝

Oh. I will check out gensim. Wasn't aware of non-GPU based NLP toolkits; I am too used to using GPU-based ones.

• @Creling said:
    Hi guys:

Thank you for your help

for hourly bare metal dedicated with exotic network and gpu configs check out packet.net https://www.packet.com/cloud/servers/

Thanked by 1uptime
  • eva2000 said: for hourly bare metal dedicated with exotic network and gpu configs check out packet.net https://www.packet.com/cloud/servers/

happy to see such a platform, I will mark it.

• CrelingCreling Member
    edited November 2019

poisson said: Oh. I will check out gensim. Wasn't aware of non-GPU based NLP toolkits; I am too used to using GPU-based ones.

maybe just in some special cases, I will do some word2vec.

Thanked by 1poisson
  • Scaleway have baremetal server with per hour pricing so you can rent whole powerfull server for 1 hour for cheap.
    On other hand if you plan to do alot stuff monthly renting server may be cheaper option.
    Scaleway for example have server for around 329 euro a month (in hourly billing). You could get similar server when it comes to CPU foraround $100 a month. Sometines even cheaper.

hetzner cloud is also good when it comes to prive/performance ratio

• @Creling if you want free Upcloud credits I can give you some to fire up their 20 core servers for 1.5 days

Thanked by 1hjlow
  • You can try hetzner or linode (only if you need asian location)

Thanked by 1Creling
  • poisson said: @Creling if you want free Upcloud credits I can give you some to fire up their 20 core servers for 1.5 days

hhhh, 0.5 day will be enough for trialing. I might pm you when I need it. thank you 2333

• Upcloud, but they asked for CC/DC

• Wholesaleinternet provide hourly charged servers, the last one that I saw started from like 7 cents, this was yesterday though and dont know if its still there.