Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relational database - no longer a thingy? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Relational database - no longer a thingy?

2»

Comments

• Story of every modern project ever,

• Start with MongoDB, Serverless Computing, Kafka, Kubernetes/Docker, Terraform, Consul, Ansible etc... spend 6 months on architecture design meetings, learning, installing and configuring and then realize you have no running app yet.

• Then come to a conclusion that you could do the same in PHP+MySQL(or RoR or Django) in under a week and host it for $1/Month hosting.

If you haven't realized the above, you likely have a lot to learn.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I learned more here than I learned in my college.

• vimalware said: Hubris of youth is always consistent, unlike their Databases.

Crazy talk, you must be on ACID.

Thanked by 2raindog308 vimalware
  • @vimalware said:
    If you're starting out today with a flexible and reliable OSS relational DB, I think investing time into Postgresql is the best bang for the time spent.
    A craftsman chooses her tools carefully.

Indeed. Postgres is really nice, and the community adds features as needed. Adding JSONB was especially nice. Instead of two different DBs I only have to deal with one.

Granted, I wasn't doing anything super complex, and I had a mixture of consistent data and really random data.

@spammy said:
    Just did some Googling and wow this is completely new to me! Closest I got with them is probably using Redis (which I have no idea how it works other than knowing it is a PHP accelerator of some sort).

True, redis is mainly known for being used as a caching layer, but it's more then that though. It has PubSub features, and it stores several different data structures, which JSON is not one of then weirdly enough. Redis, the company, calls it a data structure database.

Pardon me for the ignorance, so noSQL conceptually means you store things in files with no schemas? so if using school class as an example, basically I store the information about each student as a file (JSON/CSV/something else) and then the name of the student as the file name and the DBMS is smart enough to, say, go to file for Joe and search for the key-value pair age when I do "select age from students where name = Joe".

NoSQL generally means HTTP is used to interact with the database, or it uses some query language (QL) which isn't SQL. Postgres wasn't a SQL DB until 1995. It was a relational database, but it had it's own QL. Elastic has added SQL to Elasticsearch, so now Elasticsearch is an SQL database too. :smile:

It's mostly coincidental that most of the NoSQL databases also aren't relational. Columner databases like Cassandra have nothing in common with document databases like MongoDB, CouchDB, or Elasticsearch, or time series databases like InfluxDB or OpenTSDB.

NoSQL is also mostly a catchy marketing term, and it's generally pretty useless outside of marketing since it's such a catchall. There have been lots of different databases for ages. BerkleyDB, LMDB (which incidentally powers Redis), and others have been around for years before the NoSQL term was coined.

The search part varies. Elasticsearch is built for searching data inside documents. MongoDB is not.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

flatland_spider said: Postgres wasn't a SQL DB until 1995. It was a relational database, but it had it's own QL.

I knew this fact but had forgotten it. You are quite right.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

notty said: Crazy talk, you must be on ACID.

Got this shirt at Oracle OpenWorld a few years ago. It was for a company offering "transactional hadoop".