Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AX51-NVME vs PX62-NVME
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AX51-NVME vs PX62-NVME

1) which one is better and why ?

AX51-NVME
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Octa-Core "Matisse" (Zen2)
64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
NVMe 2 x 1 TB

vs

PX62-NVME
Intel® Xeon® E-2176G Hexa-Core
64 GB DDR4 ECC RAM
NVMe 2 x 960 GB
Software-RAID 1 ( SSD datacenter)

70 euros vs 88 euros but i have seen that in the benchmark the AMD is better

https://versus.com/en/amd-ryzen-7-3700x-vs-intel-xeon-e-2176g

2) btw i have seen that ecc is not supported for amd in the same page . Which is the correct ? hetzner or this page ?

Comments

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited November 2019

AX-51. Nothing justifies the additional 18 euro. You may even want to take a look at EX52-NVME as it's 5 euro cheaper.

btw. @Hetzner_OL thank you for providing another solid lineup :)

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • @MrPsycho said:
    AX-51. Nothing justifies the additional 18 euro. You may even want to take a look at EX52-NVME as it's 5 euro cheaper.

btw. @Hetzner_OL thank you for providing another solid lineup :)

If they were at the same price what you would prefer?

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited November 2019

@Chievo said:

If they were at the same price what you would prefer?

I'd choose AX51-NVME because it's passmark is way higher (AMD vs Intel). However if uptime is critical for your usage you may be better with Intel based server as it's hardware is more server-oriented, meanwhile Ryzen servers are pure customer hardware.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • rick2610rick2610 Member
    edited November 2019

If HD performance is important, PX62-NVME has enterprise NVMEs and the AX has consumer NVMEs.

Thanked by 2Chievo willie
  • @rick2610 said:
    If HD performance is important, PX62-NVME has enterprise NVMEs and the AX has consumer NVMEs.

It is important but the AMD seems To have a better performance so i cannot take a decisión between both

• @Chievo said:

@rick2610 said:

It is important but the AMD seems To have a better performance so i cannot take a decisión between both

Are You write a lot of data? The consumer NVME has really low write endurance, i wrote 3TB and have already used 1%. Enterprise NVME in the PX62, 30TB 1%

• I have a huge WordPress/ woocommerce with lot of images about 80GB and growing with lots of images so

• AMD Ryzen can support ECC if motherboard supports it AFAIK. I read AMD left ECC validation up to motherboard vendors.

AMD Ryzen performance can be excellent with the right server/OS optimisations and newer Linux Kernels but still depends on what type of work loads you are intending to use. Best way to find out which is better, is to test both and pick the one that is right for you :)

I am currently doing extensive Centmin Mod/CentOS 7 benchmark comparison testing for the following servers paired with 1.2TB NVMe with both stock 3.10 and 5.3+ Linux Kernels.

• AMD Ryzen 3600 - completed
    • AMD Ryzen 3800X - completed
    • AMD Ryzen 3900X - soon
    • AMD Ryzen 3950X - maybe
    • Intel Xeon E-2276G - completed
    • Intel Xeon E-2288G - soon
    • Intel Core i9 9900KS - soon

Will have alot of benchmark/real world testing result data for alot of reviews I'll be writing :)

• @eva2000 said:
    AMD Ryzen can support ECC if motherboard supports it AFAIK. I read AMD left ECC validation up to motherboard vendors.

AMD Ryzen performance can be excellent with the right server/OS optimisations and newer Linux Kernels but still depends on what type of work loads you are intending to use. Best way to find out which is better, is to test both and pick the one that is right for you :)

I am currently doing extensive Centmin Mod/CentOS 7 benchmark comparison testing for the following servers paired with 1.2TB NVMe with both stock 3.10 and 5.3+ Linux Kernels.

• AMD Ryzen 3900X - soon

Will have alot of benchmark/real world testing result data for alot of reviews I'll be writing :)

Thanks Eva ! Grr i could not see neither my AMD neither Intel of hetzner :( bad luck

Anyway i am using tour centminmod 22 for a huge WordPress/ woocommerce with lot of images . which would you prefer. You have lot of servers And you are the father of centminmod so .....

• @eva2000 said:
    AMD Ryzen can support ECC if motherboard supports it AFAIK. I read AMD left ECC validation up to motherboard vendors.

• AMD Ryzen 3900X - soon

Do you see much difference in kernel 3 and 5? Perhaps you can also test with Centos8/ stock kernel 4.x....

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

I use AMD at home, but I would like to give it a try on a server level. I've been using Intel and currently colo Intel. As soon as I can pick up some AMD Ryzen servers I will. But for now, for me, Intel is working just fine.

• Chievo said: Thanks Eva ! Grr i could not see neither my AMD neither Intel of hetzner bad luck

Anyway i am using tour centminmod 22 for a huge WordPress/ woocommerce with lot of images . which would you prefer. You have lot of servers And you are the father of centminmod so .....

I haven't tested your specific cpus you mentioned in above post so can't say 100% but either would do well with Centmin Mod's wordpress auto installer routine which should be able to handle alot on either of your listed servers. Pair it up with Cloudflare properly configured, and you can handle quite alot of traffic.

rick2610 said: Do you see much difference in kernel 3 and 5? Perhaps you can also test with Centos8/ stock kernel 4.x....

AMD Ryzen/EPYC Rome need at least 5.2+ Linux Kernel to shine. 3.10 and even 4.18 Kernels too old for them. Also need to double check that Turbo boost frequencies are working at rated specs for your setups under load too. Don't assume they're boosting to rated specs. I wrote a script to log and chart each processors' cpu core's individual cpu frequencies throughout the benchmark testing to verify they're Turbo boosting as they're intended to.

Centmin Mod isn't compatible with CentOS 8 yet - still working through the compatibility list detailed at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-centos-8-compatibility-worklog.18372/

Thanked by 3ITLabs Chievo rick2610
  • rick2610 said: Are You write a lot of data? The consumer NVME has really low write endurance, i wrote 3TB and have already used 1%. Enterprise NVME in the PX62, 30TB 1%

Aha, this is the real difference between the servers. I bet the PX ssd's are faster too, besides being more durable. AMD consumer cpus do support ECC though not all motherboards implement it. I guess it's not possible to get credit for swapping out the consumer NVMe's and putting in enterprise ones, but if you can use the HDD storage, you might get the HDD model of the AX server, and add-on enterprise NVMe ssds.

Meanwhile AMD announced the 3950x and 24 and 32 core 3rd gen threadrippers today! See anandtech.com and similar places for info. Maybe we will see some new AX servers soon ;).

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • Why do I feel like host101 is on its way with the op?

• @seriesn said:
    Why do I feel like host101 is on its way with the op?

It is not the case. I am not interested in the hosting business.only for personal use

• @Chievo said:

@seriesn said:
    Why do I feel like host101 is on its way with the op?

It is not the case. I am not interested in the hosting business.only for personal use

I stand corrected then:)

• @rick2610 said:
    @rick2610 said:
    Are You write a lot of data? The consumer NVME has really low write endurance, i wrote 3TB and have already used 1%. Enterprise NVME in the PX62, 30TB 1%

If this is true, then the collapsible description of the nvme ssd on the AX series is inaccurate.

"NVMe SSD
    Gen3 x4 Data Center Series Software RAID 1 (Software RAID 1 is only available in combination with one of our preinstalled operating systems)"

• @ksug said:

@rick2610 said:
    @rick2610 said:

If this is true, then the collapsible description of the nvme ssd on the AX series is inaccurate.

"NVMe SSD
    Gen3 x4 Data Center Series Software RAID 1 (Software RAID 1 is only available in combination with one of our preinstalled operating systems)"

I assume the AX42-nvme has the same drives as the EX42-nvme. I have EX42-nvme and px62-nvme servers with hetzner.

If i look in their wiki, they dont have 512GB enterprise NVMEs. Enterprise disks starts with 960GB (https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Root_Server_Hardware/en).

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @eva2000 said:

• AMD Ryzen 3900X - soon

Btw from which hostings are you trying them? Any european?

Thanked by 1t0m
  • Chievo said: Btw from which hostings are you trying them? Any european?

I'll be announcing that officially as part of my benchmark comparison write ups but they're USA based and frequent WHT forums as well :)

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @eva2000 said:

Chievo said: Btw from which hostings are you trying them? Any european?

I'll be announcing that officially as part of my benchmark comparison write ups but they're USA based and frequent WHT forums as well :)

Thanks Eva ! Large live of centminmod!

• epeusepeus Member

I'm using AX51-NVME. Can't be happier

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Personally, I would prefer AX51 @Chievo :)
    Also due to the pricing difference which for me wouldn't justify going for the PX62.

• CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Be aware that the cooling is extremely bad on all in-house built servers, so you should only look at the performance of the CPU when running at base clock. Apparently they think it's normal that a Ryzen 5 3600 idles at 70C and gets as hot as 94C. According to Hetzner they "don't support CPU boost clocks".

• epeusepeus Member

@CConner said:
    Be aware that the cooling is extremely bad on all in-house built servers, so you should only look at the performance of the CPU when running at base clock. Apparently they think it's normal that a Ryzen 5 3600 idles at 70C and gets as hot as 94C. According to Hetzner they "don't support CPU boost clocks".

What do you mean when saying Hetzner don't support CPU boost clocks. I checked mine, the CPU can boost to 4.3GHz (not 4.4GHz as the advertisement of ryzen 7 3700x but it is still good for me)

• MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

If you are doing anything with PHP and databases, go for the Xeon. It has slightly higher clock speeds which will benefit your application.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@CConner said:

Maybe the specific configs? My 3700X's with them are around 55c.

edited May 2020

@MikeA @epeus

I sent them an email asking why thing was getting so hot, this was their response:

To which I replied:

To which they replied:

Specifically "Until the server didn't begin to throttle under the base clock, there is no reason to investigate this.". Which is quite frankly ridiculous.

The support operator refused to explain why Hetzner doesn't support CPUs boosting up to their advertised boost speed. There is nothing on the Hetzner website indicating anything about max cooling capacity or that CPUs are only supposed to run at their base clock and the boost clock is being treated as an "extra". Maybe @Hetzner_OL can fill me in on this.

• Sounds like these AMDs with Hetzner won't be lasting that long at all considering... Would be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same experience considering @MikeA isn't

edited May 2020

@WSCallum said:
    Sounds like these AMDs with Hetzner won't be lasting that long at all considering... Would be interesting to see if anyone else is having the same experience considering @MikeA isn't

Same shit on their PX62 (i9 9900k) model. Getting temps well over 90C.

Thanked by 1WSCallum