Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was looking for cheap GPU servers ... to render. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I was looking for cheap GPU servers ... to render.

2»

Comments

• Did you have a look at paperspace? Its above let pricing level (from about 0,5$ per hour) but relativly powerful and perhaps it fits to your use case if you can power off between rendering.

• @k4zz said:
    Did you have a look at paperspace? Its above let pricing level (from about 0,5$ per hour) but relativly powerful and perhaps it fits to your use case if you can power off between rendering.

my credit card can't be used there for some unknown reason.
    also davinci resolve doesn't allow you to turn off after rendering. neither google drive file stream after upload finishes. so I'm stuck with turn off manually, and I'm afraid of running out of money because forgetting to turn off (happens once at alibaba cloud)

• @rinaldohack If you are doing this as a serious business, I suggest that you invest in the hardware, which is cheaper in the long run. Let's say you are willing to pay 40 a month as per your original post. That works out to be 480 a year. I just built a box for machine learning tasks using 100% used parts for 500 bucks with the following specs (inclusive case, power supply and non-stock heatsink + fan):

i5-6600k with Asus z170 pro-gaming board
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
    Zotac GTX 1070

I really think you should evaluate your options to find the most cost effective solution before your graphics card fail. Renting dedicated servers is not a cost-effective solution for a one-man show.

• @poisson said:
    @rinaldohack If you are doing this as a serious business, I suggest that you invest in the hardware, which is cheaper in the long run. Let's say you are willing to pay 40 a month as per your original post. That works out to be 480 a year. I just built a box for machine learning tasks using 100% used parts for 500 bucks with the following specs (inclusive case, power supply and non-stock heatsink + fan):

16GB DDR4 RAM
    Zotac GTX 1070

I really think you should evaluate your options to find the most cost effective solution before your graphics card fail. Renting dedicated servers is not a cost-effective solution for a one-man show.

thanks for your suggestion.
    I've think about this for couple weeks, but for now ... the money just isn't there.

also, since we're running wedding organizer (kind of), one of our promotion channel is youtube, where we upload our full work there.
    the workflow is usually like this :
    1. I used my Google Drive File Stream (DriveFS), both mounted on server and on laptop on drive X:
    2. I transcoded to work here at home
    3. I edited, then saved the project file. While I'm working, I also uploading the full footage to DriveFS
    4. I uploaded the project file, and render on the server. Usually when time isn't a problem, I transcoded every footage once again to "Best" on HandBrake.
    5. I converted to DVD from server, then deliver the ISO back here using also DriveFS. (Main delivery media is DVD)
    6. Since the final file is already on server, I can reupload to YouTube later. Also have some backup on DriveFS.

it is utterly complicated stuff. But if I keep promoting like that, using home PC instead, I would get stuck uploading 10-20GB to YouTube, and wasting like a day or two just uploading because my internet only got 5mbps upload (and upgrading is way too expensive).
    And while uploading, no DoTA. What will I do with my life without gaming, while there's no job?

But yeah ... upgrading is on the plan, since I also do some music production.
    Just not the way you're thinking ._.

• Thanks for letting me know your workflow. I think a Hetzner server auction with a i7-3770 (comes with Intel HD 4000 iGPU) might work.

The Hetzner's dedicated servers with a iGPU can be enabled in Linux for transcoding:
    https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/howto-enable-igpu

If it can be enabled for Linux, it should be possible for Windows. You can check with Hetzner.

• @poisson said:
    Thanks for letting me know your workflow. I think a Hetzner server auction with a i7-3770 (comes with Intel HD 4000 iGPU) might work.

The Hetzner's dedicated servers with a iGPU can be enabled in Linux for transcoding:

If it can be enabled for Linux, it should be possible for Windows. You can check with Hetzner.

I used to run Windows 10 on Hetzner, that wasn't a problem. But Hetzner closed my account for non payment ... I was too confused how it works, and don't know how to cancel server, so yeah.
    That was 20 eur or something ... can't remember, that wasn't too much. But I've contacted billing team and promised to pay them later when I got money.

I ended up getting exact CPU (i7-3770) on @ikoula classic servers.
    They do have one with Intel HD 4600, one with HD 4000, another one with HD 2500. I pulled the trigger and win :D also they allow me to refund in first 14 days ...
    but I win the lottery just in one try :D

Thanks everyone!

Thanked by 1poisson
  • @rinaldohack said:

@poisson said:
    Thanks for letting me know your workflow. I think a Hetzner server auction with a i7-3770 (comes with Intel HD 4000 iGPU) might work.

I used to run Windows 10 on Hetzner, that wasn't a problem. But Hetzner closed my account for non payment ... I was too confused how it works, and don't know how to cancel server, so yeah.
    That was 20 eur or something ... can't remember, that wasn't too much. But I've contacted billing team and promised to pay them later when I got money.

I ended up getting exact CPU (i7-3770) on @ikoula classic servers.
    They do have one with Intel HD 4600, one with HD 4000, another one with HD 2500. I pulled the trigger and win :D also they allow me to refund in first 14 days ...
    but I win the lottery just in one try :D

Thanks everyone!

Glad to know you found something that works. @ikoula seems to be a great provider, and it would be nice if you can do a review sometime down the road!

• so ... after a little of fighting, i7 3770 only renders at 0.5 frames / second for UHD, and 1-2 frames per second for HD. this is too slow.

where do I move next?

• @rinaldohack said:
    so ... after a little of fighting, i7 3770 only renders at 0.5 frames / second for UHD, and 1-2 frames per second for HD. this is too slow.

where do I move next?

You have no room to move if your budget doesn't move. Otherwise buy a second hand laptop with a decent GPU and sell your current one. Not many options.

• @poisson said:

@rinaldohack said:
    so ... after a little of fighting, i7 3770 only renders at 0.5 frames / second for UHD, and 1-2 frames per second for HD. this is too slow.

where do I move next?

You have no room to move if your budget doesn't move. Otherwise buy a second hand laptop with a decent GPU and sell your current one. Not many options.

lets see ... ah okay, I can spend $30 to $35 a month.
    what do you think?

I better went with my current laptop (i7 4720HQ + GTX 950M) and crank it until it died, then buy a better laptop with the profit. But I'm trying to avoid that.

• I really think it is impossible to get renting a box with a decent GPU for that budget. Firstly such systems are already hard to come by and your budget is quite low.. I really think you should get a laptop with good GPU for your purpose.. if this is going to earn you money then you need some proper investment

• @poisson said:
    I really think it is impossible to get renting a box with a decent GPU for that budget. Firstly such systems are already hard to come by and your budget is quite low.. I really think you should get a laptop with good GPU for your purpose.. if this is going to earn you money then you need some proper investment

did I specify before that I hate my internet connection here at Indonesia?
    That's why I prefer to offload every single video work, since our promotion media is mainly YouTube, and I most of the time download the DVD delivery back from server.

hmm ...
    or where can I rent gpu servers per hour, except alibaba cloud (which is too expensive and have stupid data transfer plan), azure (which is incompatible), paperspace (got declined credit card), packet (got rejected), and google cloud (also incompatible)?

• Sorry not possible to find a solution. All decent GPU dedids are more than 100USD per month

• why not build your own box and get it colo'd? im sure you could get a 2u system built and a 100mb connection

• Tip. just don't just go below RX 470 or your rendering will be really slow

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • @rinaldohack Davinci Resolve works great on linux, you don't need windows, the install is relatively easy.

• @rinaldohack said:

@poisson said:
    I really think it is impossible to get renting a box with a decent GPU for that budget. Firstly such systems are already hard to come by and your budget is quite low.. I really think you should get a laptop with good GPU for your purpose.. if this is going to earn you money then you need some proper investment

did I specify before that I hate my internet connection here at Indonesia?
    That's why I prefer to offload every single video work, since our promotion media is mainly YouTube, and I most of the time download the DVD delivery back from server.

hmm ...
    or where can I rent gpu servers per hour, except alibaba cloud (which is too expensive and have stupid data transfer plan), azure (which is incompatible), paperspace (got declined credit card), packet (got rejected), and google cloud (also incompatible)?

ExoScale? 1.3 USD for a VM with 1 Tesla V100 GPU, or 3 USD for 4 GPUs per hour, but only 1.4 GB egress is free per hour, normal pricing is roughly 20 USD per TB.

• @dropbear said:
    @rinaldohack Davinci Resolve works great on linux, you don't need windows, the install is relatively easy.

linux one can't render H264. I was using free version.

I asked on Blackmagic forum, I might also ask here.

Basically I got cheap servers with either :

1. Intel Core i7 3770 (4c/8t) (Intel HD Graphics 4000)
    2. Intel Core i3 8100 (4c/4t) (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
    3. Intel Celeron® G3900 (2c/2t) (Intel HD Graphics 510)
    4. Intel® Xeon® E3 1220v5 (4c/4t) (NVIDIA GT 710)
    5. Intel® Xeon® E3 1220v5 (4c/4t) (Radeon R5 230 2GB)

I was looking for the fastest rendering possible, WITHOUT color correction at all.
    Also with possibility to render 4K (I don't care if that will be slow, that's okay).

From what I see, everything but number 2 has OpenCL version 1.2 (bare minimum). Number 2 is the highest (2.1), following by number 3 (also 2.1, but less core number)
    Also I fail to run Resolve on GT 710 (see https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=102360).

Thoughts, anyone?

• dropbeardropbear Member
    edited November 2019

rinaldohack said: Basically I got cheap servers with either :

Intel Core i7 3770 (4c/8t) (Intel HD Graphics 4000)

Intel Core i3 8100 (4c/4t) (Intel UHD Graphics 630)
    Intel Celeron

G3900 (2c/2t) (Intel HD Graphics 510)

Intel
    Xeon
    E3 1220v5 (4c/4t) (NVIDIA GT 710)
    Intel
    Xeon E3 1220v5 (4c/4t) (Radeon R5 230 2GB)

None of those servers are suitable, any video card with < 4GB is a waste of time. 1min of 4k video is ~375mb, thus a 4GB video card can only load into memory 10 mins of 4k video.

As a suggestion search for crypto mining rig rentals/hire, some of those have cheap rx480 or gtx 1060 with 4GB of memory. Also there are some P2P services for hiring out peoples gaming rigs GPU's for training machine learning models, way cheaper than any datacenter prices.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • I use Linode. If your usage is minimal, your bill should be within the budget: https://www.linode.com/2019/06/19/introducing-linode-gpu-instances/

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • @rinaldohack said:

@poisson said:
    @rinaldohack If you are doing this as a serious business, I suggest that you invest in the hardware, which is cheaper in the long run. Let's say you are willing to pay 40 a month as per your original post. That works out to be 480 a year. I just built a box for machine learning tasks using 100% used parts for 500 bucks with the following specs (inclusive case, power supply and non-stock heatsink + fan):

16GB DDR4 RAM
    Zotac GTX 1070

thanks for your suggestion.
    I've think about this for couple weeks, but for now ... the money just isn't there.

also, since we're running wedding organizer (kind of), one of our promotion channel is youtube, where we upload our full work there.
    the workflow is usually like this :
    1. I used my Google Drive File Stream (DriveFS), both mounted on server and on laptop on drive X:
    2. I transcoded to work here at home
    3. I edited, then saved the project file. While I'm working, I also uploading the full footage to DriveFS
    4. I uploaded the project file, and render on the server. Usually when time isn't a problem, I transcoded every footage once again to "Best" on HandBrake.
    5. I converted to DVD from server, then deliver the ISO back here using also DriveFS. (Main delivery media is DVD)
    6. Since the final file is already on server, I can reupload to YouTube later. Also have some backup on DriveFS.

it is utterly complicated stuff. But if I keep promoting like that, using home PC instead, I would get stuck uploading 10-20GB to YouTube, and wasting like a day or two just uploading because my internet only got 5mbps upload (and upgrading is way too expensive).
    And while uploading, no DoTA. What will I do with my life without gaming, while there's no job?

But yeah ... upgrading is on the plan, since I also do some music production.
    Just not the way you're thinking ._.

League

• Try paperspace?

• @Hxxx said:
    Try paperspace?

card got rejected. still working with them.

• tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

most people render cryptocurrency, so you could also search for that and use if for your purpose

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@rinaldohack said:
    But anyway, do you have plan to restock the $30 RX480? Have some ETA?

It is back in stock at the moment.

Thanked by 2poisson rinaldohack
  • @rinaldohack For your budget, this is the best offer. Better grab it fast.

• serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

If you need basic GPU like GT710 or onboard, we have several dedicated server options available within 1hour delivery time. Sometimes do have eg. GTX1070 8G or RX570 8G, better to ask in advance

• @exception0x876 said:

@rinaldohack said:
    But anyway, do you have plan to restock the $30 RX480? Have some ETA?

It is back in stock at the moment.

umm I don't see that, only the NVIDIA one.
    did I miss it?

@serveroffer said:
    If you need basic GPU like GT710 or onboard, we have several dedicated server options available within 1hour delivery time. Sometimes do have eg. GTX1070 8G or RX570 8G, better to ask in advance

what do you have for non GT series GPU? and can you beat wishosting price?