Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Relational database - no longer a thingy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Relational database - no longer a thingy?

Was chatting with some friends who are semi-close to the high tech circle today and I was told that all the big tech companies like Amazon and Google, even some fintech companies, are no longer using relational database to store information. Things like MS-SQL or MySQL or Oracle are somewhat outdated and replaced by some new technology...

Is that true or my friend was being misinformed? I am not too familiar with that side of the world so I am semi-suspicious. If he is right, what is the popular types of DB those companies use these days?

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited November 2019

"A one size fits all database doesn't fit anyone", from Werner Vogels (CTO Amazon) may answer your question.

TL;DR; use the DB that will best serve your customer.

Ref: https://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2018/06/purpose-built-databases-in-aws.html

Edit: reference updated, sorry for the wrong link :-(

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2019

Actually I would say that is not true
    relational DBs are still used and they will remain in use for a long time

the no-sql DBs are still hot in the industry but the problem people starting using them for everything even when the use case does not benefit from no-sql db

I have witness the power and the issue of nosql dbs myself

for me when i need no schema restrictions I will go with mongoDB but for any large project with many developers who tend to do mistakes i will stick with relational DB and having transactions is good plus .

as anyone who is working in big project based on mongoDB or any nosql DB and they will tell you how hard it is to maintain the data in the DB after a while

search google on many projects that switched back to relational DB after a while on nosql

• nemnem Member, Host Rep

Some things never die...

Strike an optimal balance between your use case and abilities. Sometimes a nail is just as good as a screw and you can get the work done in a third of the time with equal results. Choosing a technology that you have little familiarity with that serves as a linchpin to your organization... that'll have disastrous consequences once shit hits the fan.

It's all worth learning. At the very least it can help you can make a more informed decision.

Thanked by 1Trav
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I think that's BS from the silicon valley hype mill.

Funnily that same group of "semi-close to the high tech circle" people also preach that one should use the right tool for the job.

The truth (well, my version of it) is largely not seen at all: The best DB is the one that really is tailored to the job - which also means that SQL DBs (which most mean when they say "relational DB") are indeed often not the best choice - but for an entirely different reason: The versatility offered by SQL is simply often not needed, so why pay the price for it. Often a relational (but not SQL) DB is the best choice.

• Hani said: the no-sql DBs

Just did some Googling and wow this is completely new to me! Closest I got with them is probably using Redis (which I have no idea how it works other than knowing it is a PHP accelerator of some sort).

Pardon me for the ignorance, so noSQL conceptually means you store things in files with no schemas? so if using school class as an example, basically I store the information about each student as a file (JSON/CSV/something else) and then the name of the student as the file name and the DBMS is smart enough to, say, go to file for Joe and search for the key-value pair age when I do "select age from students where name = Joe".

Is that understanding correct? Obviously I was simplifying things I lot.

• jsg said: Often a relational (but not SQL) DB is the best choice.

Relational but not using SQL? Do you mind give an example of such? You mean like JSON file?

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Just to drop this here

• servarica_haniservarica_hani Member, Patron Provider

@spammy said:

Hani said: the no-sql DBs

Just did some Googling and wow this is completely new to me! Closest I got with them is probably using Redis (which I have no idea how it works other than knowing it is a PHP accelerator of some sort).

Pardon me for the ignorance, so noSQL conceptually means you store things in files with no schemas? so if using school class as an example, basically I store the information about each student as a file (JSON/CSV/something else) and then the name of the student as the file name and the DBMS is smart enough to, say, go to file for Joe and search for the key-value pair age when I do "select age from students where name = Joe".

Is that understanding correct? Obviously I was simplifying things I lot.

it is not a file based DB

they call sometimes document based DB (document here means json usually) .

you still have schema if you want so the school class will have lets say location , grade etc

but the schema is not enforced so you could have first 10 records in the table strictly following your schema and then you decided I forgot to add number of students
    So in next save you simply add the extra json field and save it and it will go just fine !!

the weird part will happen when you will need to read from it , yo will have to be prepare that the documents (jsons orr records) are not all following the same schema exactly

this idea is really powerful when you need to save unstructured data that are related to entity , you can save them all with zero processing and while retrieving you can do some checks

good example of this if you want to save logs to db
    all logs have common attributes like date time but every log format has different fields so you can save them all to same table then process them later when reading

Thanked by 1spammy
  • Also, I have found that instead of relying on 1 single huge relational db, it's sometimes better to utilize multiple smaller relational db's (and non relational too). That way, outage in the db handling comments (not critical) does not affect the ability to process sales for example.

Unlike say 15 years ago, spinning up multiple small db's is a no brainer and cheap. 3 x 2-4 GB mem per db is enough to kickstart most projects. And if you host at Hetzner, you pay less than an hour's wage each month for your db needs.

The downside of this approach is that you can't JOIN some data together. So you have to do multiple round trips for complex queries. Most queries though, are not that complex.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL

@spammy said:

jsg said: Often a relational (but not SQL) DB is the best choice.

Relational but not using SQL? Do you mind give an example of such? You mean like JSON file?

Well, beneath every SQL DB lurks a relational DB. Keep in mind that SQL is an interface, not a DB.

But there are also non-SQL relational DBs available. dBase and Raima are relatively well known examples.

Thanked by 3spammy vimalware uptime
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Both have their places, though honestly there's little you can do in a NoSQL database that you can't do in a SQL database, since SQL databases support large indexable documents like JSON, XML, etc. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The classic NoSQL case is storing json documents which are similar but not identical. In a lot of use cases, some things in every document will be universal (an owner name, a unique Id, etc.) but any given document will have some fields but not others, and the app can sort all that when it gets the document. If you did it in SQL, you'd have to define columns for every possible field and have lots of nulls, while in NoSQL you can just store the documents and then index whatever retrieval index you want.

The nice thing about NoSQL is you don't have to design your schema ahead of time and can change it whenever you want without changing DB structure. Makes dev life easy. But there are tradeoffs.

Think of a non-relational document DB like a coat check. You check in your coat, you get a ticket. Later you can take that ticket (i.e., key number, serial number, whatever) and get your coat back very quickly. However, if you were asked to count up how many coats have pockets or how many are brown, it would take forever because you'd have to pull out each coat. So retrieval by a key is very fast and you get the whole coat (i.e., document).

OTOH a SQL database excels at these kinds of summarizing functions.

The NoSQL popularity is more about relaxing consistency requirements where they're not needed. Social media is an often-used example. If you're managing a credit card database, you need it to always return completely consistent answers (two clients won't get different answers). OTOH, if the question is just how many likes a post has, maybe it's OK if two clients get slightly (eventually consistent) answers...particularly if relaxing that factor allows for higher performance. All depends on the need.

So it depends what you need. If you want to stash documents away, don't want to worry about setting up what each field will be in advance, don't need a lot of slicing/dicing, want the freedom to quickly iterate a design, and have relaxed consistency constraints with high throughput requirements, then NoSQL might be a good fit. OTOH if you need a lot of analytical needs, have a fixed design, need many different access paths, may need future analysis you can't predict, etc. then you may want SQL.

It's a bit blurred these days because you can insert something like JSON or XML into a SQL database (Oracle, Pg, etc.) and it will index all the json fields, so you get the best of both worlds...and to be honest, people were doing "noSQL"-ish things 30 years ago by stashing text blobs/clobs in databases (i.e., one table for metadata and one table for blobs/clobs). But hey, fashion...

As to relational DBs dying...no, they're not. It's hard to think of a more stubbornly persistent technology than SQL. Tons and tons of application spaces (accounting, inventory, scientific data, marketing research, scientific data, the list goes on and on) need strongly consistent data that is easily sliced and diced in many ways and SQL still rules there.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It isnt webscale.

Francisco

Thanked by 1EdgeWeb
  • somiksomik Member
    edited November 2019

Honestly speaking, it's all depending on your use case.

I normally code in PHP. However, depending on my needs, I might not use MariaDB, instead opt for Sqlite3 for read heavy sites or JSON or even flat file DBs directly on directory level. This is done to reduce server overheads in cases where a relational DB is not required.

There is no case where a relational DB will be obsolete soon.

Same goes for PHP. I've been hearing it'll be obsolete soon since 2005 when I first picked up PHP, but PHP is widely used on the web.

Also nothing goes out like a bulb. They are always slowly faded out, so you'll know when relational DBs are not in use.

As far as I know, major software development companies are still using relational DBs, just not mysql or ms sql but their own variety. Appian relational DB is one example. You can search for more.

• Completely off topic:

As with most other communities, it's what the members make of it. I've read the topics created by the LET owners/managers and all the (justified) criticism by LET members.

In spite of that, thanks to the people who still take the time and make the effort to answer, this has been, for me at least, one of the most educational web-hosting related places on the Net.

Hope that in a few years time, I too will be able to contribute (more than just posting cat and pigeon pictures).

This, on top of some good humour and high quality trolling of any trolls. :)

That's it, sorry for the off topic (and I'm not even drunk).

• spammy said: Things like MS-SQL or MySQL or Oracle are somewhat outdated and replaced by some new technology...

Yes. This technology is MariaDB (it's MySQL fork which retains compatibility, many big companies replaced other SQL solutions with it).

On a more serious note, big companies replace complex database systems (RDBMS) with even more complex database systems (e.g. Cassandra).

It's important to note that it's not like they're switching from SQL to key-value storage like redis (this is what people usually mean when they say NoSQL).

• Look at Oracle and say it's not a thingy...

• "friends who are semi-close to the high tech circle" = sales monkeys :smile:

• @intelpentium said:

spammy said: Things like MS-SQL or MySQL or Oracle are somewhat outdated and replaced by some new technology...

Yes. This technology is MariaDB (it's MySQL fork which retains compatibility, many big companies replaced other SQL solutions with it).

From what I could gather (correct me if I'm wrong), MySQL 8.0 is "a lot better performing", but not compatible with MariaDB.
    Also, cPanel still doesn't support MySQL 8.0, but DirectAdmin does - for those using and needing control panels.

• tgltgl Member
    edited November 2019

not true, and I will give you a simple example: how many websites are running wordpress?

https://www.whoishostingthis.com/compare/wordpress/stats/

NoSQL is good for big projects (usually IoT, big data), but for small stuff there is no need to use such a thing, unless you want to re-invent the wheel or waste a lot of resources on acting like an evangelist

if you want a well paid job, yes, you should learn these new technologies, but thats another story

• If you're starting out today with a flexible and reliable OSS relational DB, I think investing time into Postgresql is the best bang for the time spent.
    A craftsman chooses her tools carefully.

Or you can half-ass exploring 10 'db-of-the-week' github repos.

I should have listened to this exact advice when an experienced 30-something software principal gave me the same advice when I was 22. Hubris of youth is always consistent, unlike their Databases.

@tgl said:
    not true, and I will give you a simple example: how many websites are running wordpress?

NoSQL is good for big projects (usually IoT, big data), but for small stuff there is no need to use such a thing, unless you want to re-invent the wheel or waste a lot of resources on acting like an evangelist

if you want a well paid job, yes, you should learn these new technologies, but thats another story

Not quite. The difference isn't about size but about the need for structure and about the abilities to interface the data.

• in truth you can adapt relational databases (MySQL) to anything, but its gonna be slow (e.g. full text search) or you need to use an indexer (e.g. sphinx); the new solutions were developed to provide faster access mainly to resources (e.g. documents), not because it was not possible to perform the operations with the old ones.

anyway, here i was talking about overdoing it (e.g. modify wordpress to use mongo just to show people you can), the point was if traditional dbs are out or not, and they arent, they work fine on most websites, but for special projects where you need fast performance, replication, bla bla bla, you need the new solutions.

@jsg said:

@tgl said:

Not quite. The difference isn't about size but about the need for structure and about the abilities to interface the data.

• @jsg said:

@tgl, Mysql or MariaDB is great. You can define your tables and save data to them. Done.

Now think of a specific use case where you need to save a 3D or 4D array with multiple types of data to a table. You can work around this with Mysql, but isn't it better to create a database with the specific structure you need?

Thats a OODB comes in.

An object oriented database is a database management system in which information is represented in the form of objects as used in object-oriented programming. Object oriented databases are different from relational databases which are table-oriented. Object-relational databases are a hybrid of both approaches.

Many big companies use this instead of relational databases when needed. But the key word is still "when needed". Relational DBs are not obsolite.

• Nosql databases are for zoomers

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

No, it depends on the use case.
    Stop with that bullshit.

Their are some things that have multiple use case but that's it.

Thanked by 1flatland_spider
  • For my use case, a small website, even SQLite is perfectly enough.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Neoon said:

Most applications will be a lot of structured relational data, and a smaller part of schema-less stuff. For that, just use k,v tables, or jsonb your shit up.
    I have to admit that nosql however is neat for temporary random stuff (session data especially), but I would never use it as a database because I'm not scared of SQL

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@edfox said:

@Neoon said:

Most applications will be a lot of structured relational data, and a smaller part of schema-less stuff. For that, just use k,v tables, or jsonb your shit up.
    I have to admit that nosql however is neat for temporary random stuff (session data especially), but I would never use it as a database because I'm not scared of SQL

I have to admit, that I prefer wooden dildos.

• also might find certain applications (for example, social networks and so-called "semantic web") that might make good use of specialized graph databases such as neo4j.

(Note that features for processing "many-to-many" relations in highly connected data - that is, graphs - have also been included as extensions to various SQL and NoSQL database systems as well.)

• @raindog308 said:
    Both have their places, though honestly there's little you can do in a NoSQL database that you can't do in a SQL database, since SQL databases support large indexable documents like JSON, XML, etc. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The classic NoSQL case is storing json documents which are similar but not identical. In a lot of use cases, some things in every document will be universal (an owner name, a unique Id, etc.) but any given document will have some fields but not others, and the app can sort all that when it gets the document. If you did it in SQL, you'd have to define columns for every possible field and have lots of nulls, while in NoSQL you can just store the documents and then index whatever retrieval index you want.

The nice thing about NoSQL is you don't have to design your schema ahead of time and can change it whenever you want without changing DB structure. Makes dev life easy. But there are tradeoffs.

Think of a non-relational document DB like a coat check. You check in your coat, you get a ticket. Later you can take that ticket (i.e., key number, serial number, whatever) and get your coat back very quickly. However, if you were asked to count up how many coats have pockets or how many are brown, it would take forever because you'd have to pull out each coat. So retrieval by a key is very fast and you get the whole coat (i.e., document).

OTOH a SQL database excels at these kinds of summarizing functions.

The NoSQL popularity is more about relaxing consistency requirements where they're not needed. Social media is an often-used example. If you're managing a credit card database, you need it to always return completely consistent answers (two clients won't get different answers). OTOH, if the question is just how many likes a post has, maybe it's OK if two clients get slightly (eventually consistent) answers...particularly if relaxing that factor allows for higher performance. All depends on the need.

So it depends what you need. If you want to stash documents away, don't want to worry about setting up what each field will be in advance, don't need a lot of slicing/dicing, want the freedom to quickly iterate a design, and have relaxed consistency constraints with high throughput requirements, then NoSQL might be a good fit. OTOH if you need a lot of analytical needs, have a fixed design, need many different access paths, may need future analysis you can't predict, etc. then you may want SQL.

It's a bit blurred these days because you can insert something like JSON or XML into a SQL database (Oracle, Pg, etc.) and it will index all the json fields, so you get the best of both worlds...and to be honest, people were doing "noSQL"-ish things 30 years ago by stashing text blobs/clobs in databases (i.e., one table for metadata and one table for blobs/clobs). But hey, fashion...

As to relational DBs dying...no, they're not. It's hard to think of a more stubbornly persistent technology than SQL. Tons and tons of application spaces (accounting, inventory, scientific data, marketing research, scientific data, the list goes on and on) need strongly consistent data that is easily sliced and diced in many ways and SQL still rules there.

Thanks, very informative!