Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any providers of free SSL certificates?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does it include *.domain.com certificates as well?

It is more for security rather than authentication, and avoiding invalid certificate errors.

Comments

• skaska Member
    edited August 2013
    • cacert.org
    • startssl.com
    Thanked by 2rchurch DragonDF
  • @ska said:

• cacert.org
    • startssl.com

Any gotchas or awkward procedures or just go ahead and apply?

• If it was "for security" then you'd use your own self-signed cert.

StartSSL.com give free certs for non-commercial use, not wildcard though (unless you fill in paperwork and send them $70 or something like that).

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2013

Does it include *.domain.com certificates as well?

The CACert one does, but it's much less widely accepted than StartSSL.

• Is the CACert root certificate included in the main browsers, or do Mozilla etc want something up front to include it? When I logged into the site their cert was not recognized.

• On a side note is it possible to retrieve the clear text of a certificate, root certificate included for verification and comparison?

• @awson said:

StartSSL.com give free certs for non-commercial use, not wildcard though

However, you can keep ordering free certs for as many subdomains on the same domain as you require... just a little bit of extra work but not a big deal..

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • startssl is much more widely accepted by browsers than CACerts. And as @twain mention... because it's free... you can get StartSSL certis for as many as subdomains as you want... so in a sense you can use it as a wildcard... just a lil bit extra work needed.

For me... it hardly takes around 5 mins to install a certi from StartSSL on a subdomain for a already verified domain in my startssl account.

Thanked by 1rchurch