Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was looking for cheap GPU servers ... to render.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I was looking for cheap GPU servers ... to render.

The program is Davinci Resolve. Version 15, to be exact.
Known to work on my GTX 950m or Intel HD 4600 (ASUS ROG G550JX) and Intel HD 4000 (HP Revolve 810 G1).

The only cheap servers I've found so far were @Ikoula's AGILE S I3 (with Intel UHD), or AGILE S (With NVIDIA GT 710). But until now, I'm not sure which one to buy, since I also plan to run my custom build of Windows 10 -- which should be dd'ed to the disk directly.

I'm also looking at @Ikoula's classic i3/i5/i7 servers, but I'm not even sure which generation they are. If they have at least Intel HD 4000, then it should be okay. But I don't know ... and have no money to experiment. Not sure about their refund policy.

Anyone has better idea? I try to keep the budget under $40, and basically any shit GPU is fine.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Let's see if @exception0x876 can provide something. Last I recall he can do dedi with RX480 GPU for $30/mo, not sure if it is still available.

• rinaldohackrinaldohack Member
    edited November 2019

@FAT32 said:
    Let's see if @exception0x876 can provide something. Last I recall he can do dedi with RX480 GPU for $30/mo, not sure if it is still available.

that's interesting, but I don't see anything on wishosting.com ....
    fingers crossed.

EDIT : They do have GTX1060 servers, but out of stock :(

• Wishosting is Linux only. windows not allowed, not negotiable.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Thanks for mentioning, it is out of stock at the moment.

• @exception0x876 do you have any other GPU servers?

and is it true that windows isn't allowed? Isn't it -not allowed- like OVH, where they don't support it but just don't care if I run windows ... or not allowed like I'm gonna get kicked if you find out I run windows?

• I've asked about self installing windows on many occasions here haha

• @hzr said:
    I've asked about self installing windows on many occasions here haha

I see you're also looking for GPU servers. Where did you buy?

• rinaldohack said: I see you're also looking for GPU servers. Where did you buy?

I use AWS mostly. It's illegal to do ML/AI stuff on consumer nvidia GPUs.

• @hzr said:

rinaldohack said: I see you're also looking for GPU servers. Where did you buy?

woah really? how come it's illegal?
    have some article I can read?

• hzrhzr Member
    edited November 2019

rinaldohack said: have some article I can read?

https://www.nvidia.com/content/DriverDownload-March2009/licence.php?lang=us&type=TITAN

2.1.3 consumer only

yes, if you are little person it's unlikely they will enforce this on you, but legally...

• @rinaldohack said:

@hzr said:

rinaldohack said: I see you're also looking for GPU servers. Where did you buy?

woah really? how come it's illegal?
    have some article I can read?

It is illegal for datacenters to offer consumer GPUs as a service. That's why I bought a used GTX1070 for my ML needs.

• @hzr @poisson woah I just learned something new ...

but how about @Ikoula's GT 710? Isn't GT also consumer card?
    I don't plan to ML anytime soon btw, but yeah ...

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@rinaldohack said:
    @exception0x876 do you have any other GPU servers?

and is it true that windows isn't allowed? Isn't it -not allowed- like OVH, where they don't support it but just don't care if I run windows ... or not allowed like I'm gonna get kicked if you find out I run windows?

It is not provided as an installation option. Also, KVM access is not available as well as no support is provided if the OS was changed from available Linux options.

However, if you are able to install Windows without KVM access and do not need any support, I do not mind.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • I think that is a gray area. If the provider offers a service with Nvidia's proprietary CUDA drivers, that's not allowed. However, if you lease out the entire dedicated machine, the provider technically has no control over what driver is installed by the end customer. It could be open-source drivers. Who knows?

• The last time I asked for some legal advice about it, it's driver based. You are not allowed to install the drivers or use the drivers for anything other than crypto mining. I believe you can use whatever open source linux nvidia drivers there might be, but nothing binary blob or nvidia derived officicial. This is regardless of who is doing the install (you or the dc).

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • @exception0x876 said:

@rinaldohack said:
    @exception0x876 do you have any other GPU servers?

It is not provided as an installation option. Also, KVM access is not available as well as no support is provided if the OS was changed from available Linux options.

However, if you are able to install Windows without KVM access and do not need any support, I do not mind.

I did that once on Kimsufi ... I'm pretty sure I can pull this off once again.
    I even wrote a tutorial before at my blog (rinaldo.id).

But anyway, do you have plan to restock the $30 RX480? Have some ETA?

• @hzr said:
    The last time I asked for some legal advice about it, it's driver based. You are not allowed to install the drivers or use the drivers for anything other than crypto mining. I believe you can use whatever open source linux nvidia drivers there might be, but nothing binary blob or nvidia derived officicial. This is regardless of who is doing the install (you or the dc).

The EULA specifically prohibits datacenter deployment of the drivers. Renting out a dedicated server is not datacenter deployment. The end user installing the driver on a dedicated server is not a datacenter deployment either. I personally think that it is safe to self-install the drivers on a rented dedicated server because there is no freaking way any sane judge will believe Nvidia's claim that such a use is datacenter deployment.

What Nvida seems to be after are the big cloud operators specifically selling GPU processing services. If you rent a dedi with an Nvidia card in it, you are deploying the dedi for your own personal use. It may well be physically housed in a datacenter, but for all intents and purposes, it is not part of the datacenter's operations.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Didn't Hetzner have a GPU server at some point?

• @Jord said:

they still have. just outside of my price range for like 4 or 5 times.

• JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

@rinaldohack said:

@Jord said:

they still have. just outside of my price range for like 4 or 5 times.

Ah I see, I just didn't see it listed on their website.

Just had a look at its €99 euros a month plus VAT for a GTX1080. Ouch...

• I think ikoula's cheapest UHD 630 is the only one that fits your budget and the best performing of the lot. The other GPUs are much poorer than the 630 (although it isn't that good itself). The rest are priced way too high.

• @poisson said:
    I think ikoula's cheapest UHD 630 is the only one that fits your budget and the best performing of the lot. The other GPUs are much poorer than the 630 (although it isn't that good itself). The rest are priced way too high.

I can't even afford the 30 eur one. (that one is 35 eur)
    ... still looking for cheaper server.

• I've got some spare GCP credits. How long would you need it for? CPU, RAM, Disk space, BW?

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • I heard that Hetzner will soon introduce new GPU server but it will be a little more expensive than the current GTX 1080 series.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • How long is your project? I have an Ikoula server that has NVIDIA GT 710 idling. I can load a rescue environment for you so you can dd anything you want. It's a promo so I don't want to transfer it. It's only EUR10/m.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited November 2019

Rendering on 710 isn't gonna work. Might as well rely on CPU.

Thanked by 1rinaldohack
  • @Delong said:
    I've got some spare GCP credits. How long would you need it for? CPU, RAM, Disk space, BW?

I think GCP doesn't allow GPU instances to be used by default.

@stefeman said:
    I heard that Hetzner will soon introduce new GPU server but it will be a little more expensive than the current GTX 1080 series.

even the current pricing is too expensive for me lol

@deank said:
    Rendering on 710 isn't gonna work. Might as well rely on CPU.

I know, my project isn't rely too much on GPU. But Davinci Resolve won't even start without GPU.

@levnode said:
    How long is your project? I have an Ikoula server that has NVIDIA GT 710 idling. I can load a rescue environment for you so you can dd anything you want. It's a promo so I don't want to transfer it. It's only EUR10/m.

about how long ... it is continuous project. I have a little video editing company, but my GTX 950m is dying.

can I try your server?

• @rinaldohack said:
    about how long ... it is continuous project. I have a little video editing company, but my GTX 950m is dying.

can I try your server?

Why don't you eBay a replacement GPU? Second hand one is probably affordable

• rinaldohack said: I think GCP doesn't allow GPU instances to be used by default.

They only have GPUs available in select regions. It's about $0.5/hr for 2 CPU, 7.5GB ram and a Tesla K80 in Belgium. Just let me know and I can spin up an instance to hold you over for a bit.

• @poisson said:

@rinaldohack said:

can I try your server?

Why don't you eBay a replacement GPU? Second hand one is probably affordable

It was a laptop.

@Delong said:

rinaldohack said: I think GCP doesn't allow GPU instances to be used by default.

They only have GPUs available in select regions. It's about $0.5/hr for 2 CPU, 7.5GB ram and a Tesla K80 in Belgium. Just let me know and I can spin up an instance to hold you over for a bit.

No thanks, I can still run my 950m for a while.
    But yeah ... Thanks bro. Appreciate that.