Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Singleboard computers need colo- Help the TOR network and donate some space in your DC
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Singleboard computers need colo- Help the TOR network and donate some space in your DC

I already have some single-board computers (Cubietrucks) in different DC’s across Europe running. They are acting as TOR relays. But i have still enough of the small computers left to expand the whole project further. Maybe there will be one or the other hosting provider or DC operator who wants to support the TOR project and donates a bit of space and network traffic to this great project.
https://torproject.org

What do i ask for?

• 10€/$/£ electricity costs each year (power consumption of these boards =max. 10 Watt)
• 10- 25 MBits dedicated network traffic
• Min. 1TB or even better unlimited data traffic each month
• 1 IP address
• DC can be located anywhere except USA and Germany

These would be entry- or middle-nodes, so no abuse complains or takedown notices will come in. These only receive and forward encrypted traffic and do not bring any danger with them.

I would be happy if some open minded hosters would support this idea.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

nobody is going to give you free space, any network provider would just do it themselves if they like Tor this much.

• Not true!
    There are providers that allow exactly what i asked for. But they come and go. Like starlab in CZ. But they do not offer such a service any more since beginning of this month.
    Some smaller companys in my area like the idea too. But i still have boards left :smiley:

• Does it have to be colo? Why not residential internet?

• Yes, that also possible of course. I have some cubietrucks placed in friends flats too.
    But its hard to seperate honest private persons from scammers that just want to grab s free board. That‘s the main problem with this.
    But every network should be covered with nodes to make tracking harder.

• What are the potential legal issues of running an exit node in the US? I remember some people getting raided over it a few years back.

• @Delong said:
    What are the potential legal issues of running an exit node in the US? I remember some people getting raided over it a few years back.

Bad news bears in the US

• This can happen everywhere. Even in countries with clear defined laws how to handle tor exit operators they find a way to seize all documents and computer eqipment without a reason. Best example:
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/german-police-raid-homes-of-tor-linked-groups-board-members/

This raid has even been marked as illegal by german courts afterwards. Sadly happens around the world...

• And US has some extra special laws making tor exitnode operators scared more then others. Patriot act for example.

• maybe @cociu ?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

You know, sounding legitimately entitled while basically begging doesn't work too good on both the Internet and in real world.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • It's Tor, not TOR.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @AMXRT said:
    It's Tor, not TOR.

Actually, it's Thor.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@MikeA said:
    nobody is going to give you free space, any network provider would just do it themselves if they like Tor this much.

Not necessarily. It can be much easier for them to let someone else worry about the system management side of it.

• The OP says its a relay, not an exit node.

@MarkLuun I think you should gave emphasized on that, I know its specified there, but it should be the main idea, that these are TOR relays only, not exit nodes. Not many people will read after line 5 (me included).

@Delong said:
    What are the potential legal issues of running an exit node in the US? I remember some people getting raided over it a few years back.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@joepie91 said:

@MikeA said:

Not necessarily. It can be much easier for them to let someone else worry about the system management side of it.

I guess, but they never know what is actually being ran on that free space unless they get some type of credentials from the people they're giving free network/space to.

• @tgl said:
    The OP says its a relay, not an exit node.

@MarkLuun I think you should gave emphasized on that, I know its specified there, but it should be the main idea, that these are TOR relays only, not exit nodes. Not many people will read after line 5 (me included).

@Delong said:

Yes, you are right. This would be Guards and Middlerelays ONLY! No EXITS!
    I just answered the question above...

• MarkLuunMarkLuun Member
    edited November 2019

@MikeA said:

@joepie91 said:

@MikeA said:

I guess, but they never know what is actually being ran on that free space unless they get some type of credentials from the people they're giving free network/space to.

I would give my credentials in the same way as i would in a standart rent situation and take full responsibility for everything running on the board. But guards and middlerelays do not cause any trouble with law!

But if someone can make a cheap offer to cover his basics costs is fine too. 16 boards are already placed all over europe, 4 on the way to the place to get plugged and +10 are still left...

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited November 2019

MarkLuun said: Not true!
    There are providers that allow exactly what i asked for.
    But they come and go.

Well if you want to stay, you need to pay.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2019

MarkLuun said: 16 boards are already placed all over europe

Could you show some of the relay profiles on https://metrics.torproject.org/ (or nicknames, fingerprints)?

edited November 2019

@rm_ said:

MarkLuun said: 16 boards are already placed all over europe

Could you show some of the relay profiles on https://metrics.torproject.org/ (or nicknames, fingerprints)?

Sure, no problem...
    But you need to be satisfied with uptimerobot because IP‘s are not necessary to be posted here.

https://stats.uptimerobot.com/z7VMofMQQv

Not fully actual but most nodes are includet.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2019

rm_ said: Could you show some of the relay profiles on https://metrics.torproject.org/ (or nicknames, fingerprints)?

MarkLuun said: Sure, no problem...

And then does not do anything of what was asked. At first I had a better impression of this thread.

All your IPs are posted publicly anyways. But now there's no proof you actually run any, maybe just use all these free boxes for your own purposes.

• @rm_ said:

rm_ said: Could you show some of the relay profiles on https://metrics.torproject.org/ (or nicknames, fingerprints)?

And then does not do anything of what was asked. At first I had a better impression of this thread.

All your IPs are posted publicly anyways. But now there's no proof you actually run any, maybe just use all these free boxes for your own purposes.

Distributed bot net anyone?

edited November 2019

@rm_ said:

@rm_ said:

No need to post the IPs public here. They can be sent by pm without problem but here they have no need to be placed.
    As there are private IPs of friends homenetworks includet i wont post them public here. Sorry mate ;)
    Btw. no need to impress you ;)