Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any Windows servers by the minute?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any Windows servers by the minute?

I'm looking for a service by the minute (same as DigitalOcean) but with Windows preinstalled. Does that exist?

Thanks

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

I can imagine the disaster.

Thanked by 2poisson Avoro
  • @FAT32 said:

lol

I can install Windows on DigitalOcean, but it takes time each time.

• Doesn't AWS bill by the nanosecond these days?

Thanked by 2emilio911 maverickp
  • @emilio911 said:

@FAT32 said:

lol

How long does it take? I imagine not that long assuming you create a slightly more powerful instance.

• Vultr has Windows servers, but not sure if they do by minute (they do by hour tho)

Thanked by 1emilio911
  • @poisson said:

@emilio911 said:

@FAT32 said:

lol

How long does it take? I imagine not that long assuming you create a slightly more powerful instance.

the time to follow these steps: https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-onto-digitalocean-droplet/ (it's just repetitive to do from scratch every time, since you can't automatically restore a snapshot of a server that had Windows installed):

• @emilio911 said:

@poisson said:

@emilio911 said:

@FAT32 said:

lol

the time to follow these steps: https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-onto-digitalocean-droplet/ (it's just repetitive to do from scratch every time, since you can't automatically restore a snapshot of a server that had Windows installed):

No, use Vultr that way you can snapshot the custom install and deploy it again at will

Thanked by 1emilio911
  • You have to request to mount iso each time?

• @poisson said:
    You have to request to mount iso each time?

Not anymore, they fixed this earlier this year https://www.digitalocean.com/docs/droplets/resources/recovery-iso/ but the rest of the steps stand.

• @corbpie said:
    No, use Vultr that way you can snapshot the custom install and deploy it again at will

@emilio911 I have experience with Upcloud and it has the same function of installing once then saving the template. If you want to try Upcloud, PM me and I will give you a link that will let you have some credits to try and I can pass you the tutorials on how to do it.

Thanked by 1emilio911
  • emilio911emilio911 Member
    edited November 2019

@corbpie said:

@emilio911 said:

@poisson said:

@emilio911 said:

@FAT32 said:

lol

Didn't know about Vultr, thanks

EDIT: But isn't it the same with Vultr? That you can't snapshot a server that has a custom (non-Linux) OS (such as Windows)?

EDIT 2: Got it, Vultr has native Windows servers.

• emilio911emilio911 Member
    edited November 2019

poisson said: function of installing once then saving the template. If you want to try Upcloud, PM me and I will give you a link that will let you have some credits to try and I can pass you the tutorials on how to do it.

@poisson said:

@corbpie said:

@emilio911 I have experience with Upcloud and it has the same function of installing once then saving the template. If you want to try Upcloud, PM me and I will give you a link that will let you have some credits to try and I can pass you the tutorials on how to do it.

Isn't it the same with Upcloud? That you can't snapshot a server that has a custom (non-Linux) OS (such as Windows)?

• @emilio911 said:
    Isn't it the same with Upcloud? That you can't snapshot a server that has a custom (non-Linux) OS (such as Windows)?

Once installed, you can snapshot any deployed server. Here are the tutorial links:

1. Deploy custom ISO
    2. Snapshot a server as template.
    Thanked by 1emilio911
  • @poisson said:

@emilio911 said:

Once installed, you can snapshot any deployed server. Here are the tutorial links:

1. Deploy custom ISO
    2. Snapshot a server as template.

Got it! Upcloud has native Windows servers!

Since they charge by the hour, it's good enough for me, I'll take your Upcloud credits if you have some to offer :)

• @emilio911 said:

@corbpie said:

@emilio911 said:

@poisson said:

@emilio911 said:

@FAT32 said:

lol

Didn't know about Vultr, thanks

EDIT: But isn't it the same with Vultr? That you can't snapshot a server that has a custom (non-Linux) OS (such as Windows)?

EDIT 2: Got it, Vultr has native Windows servers.

You can snapshot custom ISO installs you just have to remember the password you used

Thanked by 1emilio911
  • @emilio911 said:
    Since they charge by the hour, it's good enough for me, I'll take your Upcloud credits if you have some to offer :)

PM-ed you. Enjoy Upcloud!