Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass (subscription - non-spam) email sending solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mass (subscription - non-spam) email sending solution

I have Googled and checked various options. SendGrid looks like the least bad for now.
But would value advice from the more experienced.

Task:

I need "a tool" capable of sending hundreds of thousands of emails from time to time, using an application (API).
No, it's not spam - all to subscribed (double opt-in) customers.

Depending on hourly sending limits, it would be good to be able to get some "feedback" to the application when the limit is reached, so it can re-try in an hour.

Paying per email (or 1000 emails) is fine, as long as some sort of cap/limit can be set (just in case, to control the expenses).

Some sort of feedback to the application, with emails that are blocked/bounced would be perfect - to check back with customers on a "working" email address where they can be reached.

Important note (I think):
There is no pre-set, pre-created email list. It changes, list of recipients gets created by an application (like: payment reminders depending on subscription expiry, meeting re-schedules, depending on the assigned courses etc.).

Hope I've properly explained what I'm looking for. Any help, or advice is welcome. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• i would suggest Mailtrain or Mautic + AWS SES.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @ITLabs said:
    i would suggest Mailtrain or Mautic + AWS SES.

I practically need a SMTP to be used by an application.
    Not using a pre-created newsletter mailing list.

How difficult is AWS SES to configure for max email limits - to prevent unexpected costs if something goes strangely wrong?

• @bikegremlin said:

@ITLabs said:
    i would suggest Mailtrain or Mautic + AWS SES.

I practically need a SMTP to be used by an application.
    Not using a pre-created newsletter mailing list.

How difficult is AWS SES to configure for max email limits - to prevent unexpected costs if something goes strangely wrong?

For SES'es pricing ($0.1/1K email), I'm pretty sire you'll reach your daily limit before hitting your wallet hard (I got 50K emails/24H limit on first try - which will cost me $5 at max)

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • @bikegremlin said:

AFAIK your app needs to control the submission process to SES. Their API provides 2 functions for monitoring the sending limits: GetSendQuota and GetSendStatistics.

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • SES is pretty safe in a way that you can setup billing threshold alerts and also have your account IAM setup quota and speed limit.
    But, beware if your AWS account is new and you bounce ratio goes over 2-3% or abuse complaints are met very early into your mailing practice, they will suspend your SES account. They have gotten stricter since last one year.

If your mails categorize as "transactional" mails, you can use PostMark, which is very good.

Sparkpost and Mailgun are other good SMTPs you can incorporate and interact via API

Thanked by 2ITLabs bikegremlin
  • From what I could understand - the consensus is to go AWS SES way?

Can it (should it?) be used alongsite Gsuite/MXroute (and the likes), for mass-sending of emails, but still keeping the inbox and "hand written" emails the "old way"?

• You might want to pm the emailman @jar ...

• greatgreat55greatgreat55 Member
    edited November 2019

I never used SendGrid to be exact, but one of my colleagues was using it and the only thing that I remember is that he wasn't unhappy about it :D Are no bad words = one good word?

Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • Thanked by 1bikegremlin
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

bikegremlin said: No, it's not spam - all to subscribed (double opt-in) customers.

I can't remember if we've talked about it already but if you need some extra wiggle room I'm sure I can accommodate, you know those are my favorite words.

• @jar said:

bikegremlin said: No, it's not spam - all to subscribed (double opt-in) customers.

I can't remember if we've talked about it already but if you need some extra wiggle room I'm sure I can accommodate, you know those are my favorite words.

I believe we've mentioned it. Long in advance. It's getting closer now. :)

The problem ("challenge" as the life gurus like to call that :) ) is I'm expecting an exponential growth in the number of sent emails.
    And having an API interface would also be very beneficial.

Again - no spam whatsoever (subscribed, paying customers, who want to be notified - on time).
    For a growing business (legit and positive enough for me to offer help/advice for free, in my own spare time - would love to see them grow).

I have faith in your knowledge and experience with the tricky world of email delivery, so I'd be delighted to try and work something out with MXroute. Especially if there is a room for increase in the number of emails, or at least an easy transition to another solution/provider if it is needed.

So far 750 emails per hour limit works, with some tweaks (cron jobs to limit the number of outgoing emails per hour), but won't for long. And when it grows, it should double, at least.