Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ARIN is down to 2 /8s left

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@asterisk14 said:
    Should be cheaper as there are trillions of IPv6, but maybe the prices will be higher as many of the LEB providers may have gone to the wall with the rising IPv4 and there may be only a few players left operating a price fixing LEB cartel.

This wont happen as long as big brother is not putting impossible to pass obstacles against the ISPs to keep the little players out. As long as the entry price is low, there wont be any cartels. Also, there will be a bit of anonimity for the people that know how to protect themselves. We will see how they manage that.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited August 2013

@Maounique said:
    This wont happen as long as big brother is not putting impossible to pass obstacles against the ISPs to keep the little players out. As long as the entry price is low, there wont be any cartels. Also, there will be a bit of anonimity for the people that know how to protect themselves. We will see how they manage that.

There might not be any little players left, if IPv4 prices rise in the time before IPv6 is fully available and all the smaller players are pushed out by those IPv4 prices, all we might have are OVH, Hetzner, Linode etc to choose from.

But I'm sure things aren't that bad IPv4, if they were we would see politicians all over CNNBCBS, telling us the world was about to end due to the IPv4 shortage. Instead they are busy peddling lies to start the next war against Iran.

• @asterisk14 said:
    There might not be any little players left, if IPv4 prices rise in the time before IPv6 is fully available and all the smaller players are pushed out by those IPv4 prices, all we might have are OVH, Hetzner, Linode etc to choose from.

There will always be ColoCrossing

• Correct me if im wrong, Hasn't RIPE announced that due to ipv4 problem; They are not issuing providers with /22 blocks unless they have a valid ipv6 allocation already?

• jakejake Member

Wow. Can you guys believe that ARIN is already down to 1.86 in /8's? That was much faster than I expected. Seems like AT&T snagged a /12 which accounted for the majority of the decrease from 2 > 1.86 remaining /8s left.

When do you think Phase 4 will start now? I would say early 2014, or maybe sooner, who knows.

• AT&T got a /12, and ColoCrossing got a /15 recently.

• jakejake Member

Ah, so ColoCrossing must have accounted for ~.02 of that :P

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

IPv6 adoption would be quicker if everyone didn't know there are tens of millions of IPs still available in the reserve pool. I suppose there is also the billions of dollars that legacy ISPs have to invest too...

• All four of my ISPs dont currently provide IPv6 connectivity. :D

• jakejake Member

Same...

• There's only a single ISP in the whole of my entire massive country, out of dozens, that provides IPv6, by request, and in beta testing.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    But they only have 2 /8's assigned to them. When ARIN hits 1 /8 left, IPv6 implementation will probably start becoming a major thing.

Let's chew up one of those /8's fast in that case. Hopefully it will force many to get IPv6 connected. As soon as "major" businesses start to get affected, adoption rates will probably sky-rocket.

@VPSSimon said:
    Correct me if im wrong, Hasn't RIPE announced that due to ipv4 problem; They are not issuing providers with /22 blocks unless they have a valid ipv6 allocation already?

I believe so, yes.

@jbiloh said:
    IPv6 adoption would be quicker if everyone didn't know there are tens of millions of IPs still available in the reserve pool. I suppose there is also the billions of dollars that legacy ISPs have to invest too...

I personally don't think IPv4 availability should be blocking IPv6 adoption. And that's exactly what seems to be happening, I'm afraid.

I don't order anything anymore from a provider that doesn't have IPv6, unless it's KVM and I can create a HE/SixXS tunnel there.

For the big players in technology and Internet service to invest in the transition something major is going to have to happen. Right now with the massive reserve pools and absolutely tremendous capital requirements it's a hard thing to justify. Sure, IPv6 is cool, but cool doesn't register on the radar of the multi-billion dollar power players in this case.

• tuxtux Member

@jbiloh When native IPv6 will be available on ColoCrossing?

In some of our secondary locations, not anytime soon.

Our major facilities, including Chicago, Dallas, Buffalo, LA and ATL are hardware IPv6 ready. When we are fully prepared, automated, and once Brocade releases OSPFv3 for our brand new ICX equipment we'll launch. We just completed replacing hundreds of Cisco 3550's, 3750's and 4948's with a combination of Brocade FCX648s and ICX6450s. We dramatically increased our capacity to every single cabinet and upgraded all servers to 1 gbit ports free.

The truth is we've not received a single request from any of our enterprise customers for IPv6. That's the unfortunate reality due to the reasons in an earlier post.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited August 2013

@fizzyjoe908 said:
    I wonder how the US Department of Defense will switch their 12 IPv4 /8's to IPv6.

They don't need to.
    DoD is pre-ARIN space (MILDOD) and requires no justification, it cannot be revoked also.

@jbiloh said:
    The truth is we've not received a single request from any of our enterprise customers for IPv6. That's the unfortunate reality due to the reasons in an earlier post.

Yes, just from anyone else, and from nearly any VPS provider in your network... priorities set, i see.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited August 2013

@jbiloh said:

Sounds like you are shooting the hand that feeds you. Guess BuyVM, IPXCore, ChicagoVPS, Every other host that is in your datacenters don't matter?

• @Spencer said:
    Sounds like you are shooting the hand that feeds you. Guess BuyVM, IPXCore, ChicagoVPS, Every other host that is in your datacenters don't matter?

I could be wrong, but if they are like any other colo facility, LEB providers are nowhere near their biggest or most important clients. So calling it shooting a hand that feeds them could be a bit wrong, maybe a finger at best.

• SkylarMSkylarM Member
    edited August 2013

@Setsura said:
    I could be wrong, but if they are like any other colo facility, LEB providers are nowhere near their biggest or most important clients. So calling it shooting a hand that feeds them could be a bit wrong, maybe a finger at best.

Yeah but suggesting they haven't rolled it out because people don't express a need for it seems rather silly. We don't NEED airplanes, we don't NEED motor vehicles. Doesn't it make sense to advance before it is needed, rather than after it is needed? How would technology advance if everyone simply said "Meh nobody needs it right now, so we'll get around to it when we feel like it"

• It is not over before it is over :)

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited August 2013

@mpkossen said:
    Let's chew up one of those /8's fast in that case. Hopefully it will force many to get IPv6 connected. As soon as "major" businesses start to get affected, adoption rates will probably sky-rocket.

The adoption of IPv6 has very little to do with what can and cannot be reached at this point. The transition is not just a matter of "deciding" to make the switch, there are real technical obstacles yet to be worked out for the vast majority of end-users.

I value every single customer we work with -- any client of ours will attest to how personable and approachable I am. You read my comment a little bit incorrectly. It's the enterprise users that drive these sorts of massive changes and the lack of demand in that segment is why equipment manufacturers like Brocade, Cisco, etc, can release brand new IPv6 ready devices but then leave OSPFv3 unavailable until a future date. Doh!

• @jbiloh said:

Really? What counts as an "enterprise customer" many of the companies in LE* request IPv6 from you (obviously based on this thread) do you not take them seriously or what?

The fact is ColoCrossing is lagging behind in the IPv6 area; when scoping out providers, who would a potential client rather pick - one with IPv6 or one without. If you think IPv6 is not important, get your head out of the sand. Better late than never.

@WebSearchingPro said:
    The fact is ColoCrossing is lagging behind in the IPv6 area; when scoping out providers, who would a potential client rather pick - one with IPv6 or one without. If you think IPv6 is not important, get your head out of the sand. Better late than never.

Again, read my last post. You are misinterpreting what I said.

• @WebSearchingPro said:
    If you think IPv6 is not important, get your head out of the sand. Better late than never.

IPv6? It's a joke as it stands today . .

• @SkylarM said:
    Yeah but suggesting they haven't rolled it out because people don't express a need for it seems rather silly. We don't NEED airplanes, we don't NEED motor vehicles. Doesn't it make sense to advance before it is needed, rather than after it is needed? How would technology advance if everyone simply said "Meh nobody needs it right now, so we'll get around to it when we feel like it"

Oh I wasn't really advocating not rolling it out. I mostly meant this:

@jbiloh said:
    It's the enterprise users that drive these sorts of massive changes

It is pretty simple to them, if they don't require it, they don't care. I work for such an "enterprise" company and myself want to push ipv6 a bit. But you know, no one cares since ipv4 works and we have plenty of ipv4 for ourselves.

@Setsura said:
    It is pretty simple to them, if they don't require it, they don't care. I work for such an "enterprise" company and myself want to push ipv6 a bit. But you know, no one cares since ipv4 works and we have plenty of ipv4 for ourselves.

The transition will happen eventually. I read something not long ago from the chief guy over at Cloud Flare saying that at the current rate of adoption we're 15~ years away from having a true natively v6 Internet.

• @jbiloh said:
    The transition will happen eventually. I read something not long ago from the chief guy over at Cloud Flare saying that at the current rate of adoption we're 15~ years away from having a true natively v6 Internet.

Sounds about right, but we'll see I suppose. I expect the ipv4 secondary market will become quite fun in the mean time though.

And of course, at the end of the day, it's our lack of IPv6 which is causing the slow transition to v6 world-wide. :) :) :)

Thanked by 1jake
  • @SkylarM said:

It makes perfect economic sense. Considering that many countries in Asia still don't have ipv6 connectivity, and ipv4 is still available en masse in regional allocations, transitioning doesn't make economic sense..yet.

This discussion has been closed.