Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temporary storage - hourly billing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Temporary storage - hourly billing

ChronicChronic Member
edited November 2019 in Help

I'm in need of stashing around 6TB of data for a few hours, possible up to a few days. Are there any providers our there that can offer this with hourly billing?

I saw DigitalOcean does block storage. It's not terribly expensive so I am thinking of going with that, but maybe there are better/cheaper options out there?

I also saw some people mention using Online.net C14 for this, with 7 days storage available for free. I read it's against their TOS, has anyone tried it or gotten in trouble over it?

Thanks!

Comments

• cociucociu Member
    edited November 2019

if tumorrow is not too late i can put a dedi if you want and you can do your job. You will need to donate to my love @nekki what you want for this. Pm and i will give you my skype

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

lunanode does hourly billing for block storage -> https://www.lunanode.com/features/volumes

price is listed as $0.03 per GB per month which might work out to something like (approximately) $0.041 per TB per hour

but you would also need to add cost for an hourly VPS and extra bandwitch for 12 TB (total in + out) ... so maybe best to doublecheck all that and confirm with @perennate that 6 TB are available for temporary use before you get too far along with it ...

in my own experience I've found the lunanode flexible block storage really handy for dealing with a few hundred GB of extra storage "swap space" in a pinch - but have not yet pushed multiple TB through that system, as it may or may not be particularly well-suited for that use

EDIT2:

@cociu's generous offer (free love for @nekki) is obviously hard to beat, especially if your data is in Europe. Re5pect.

• I would definitely try lunanode :-) I had a task that required me to convert a few hundred gb of videos, I spun up a lunanode and it was done when I checked back later. 6TB may be possible, I'd love to know if @perennate has thoughts?

• You don't say where you are. The 6TB in and out bandwidth and transfer speed may be more of an issue than the storage itself. You're rebuilding a server or something? You probably want the storage to be in the same DC where the server is. Transferring 6TB at 1gbps is about 14 hours each way, and do you really expect to get the full 1gbps cross the internet for that long?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • ChronicChronic Member
    edited November 2019

@willie said:
    You don't say where you are. The 6TB in and out bandwidth and transfer speed may be more of an issue than the storage itself. You're rebuilding a server or something? You probably want the storage to be in the same DC where the server is. Transferring 6TB at 1gbps is about 14 hours each way, and do you really expect to get the full 1gbps cross the internet for that long?

I'm aware, which is why I realistically expect this to take multiple days. The data is also not exactly 6TB - it's just the current disk size, and it's not all full. I will likely also trim it down further before transferring. This was really just a general question to see what's available and then plan accordingly.

The server is at Hetzner, in Germany.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2019

Simplest thing might be spin up their 5TB or 10TB storagebox product, do your transfer, then downgrade your storagebox to 100GB. Storagebox is billed by the month but you can change its size during the month and are billed accordingly. So you end up paying 2.90€/mo for the 100GB box plus the higher rate difference for the bigger size during the time when it is bigger. I remember their telling me it was ok to do this, but maybe @Hetzner_OL can confirm.

Also my understanding of Hetzner auction servers is that cancellations take place at the end of the month. So if you order one in the middle of the month and cancel it with effect at the end of the month, you have it and are billed for it for 1/2 of a month. There are some with 6TB (non-raid) at around 25€/m so that could be another approach.

Finally, Hetzner Cloud has SSD block storage at 0.04€/GB/month billed hourly, I think. That could get expensive for 6TB even for a week or so though.

Thanked by 2Chronic uptime
  • yes, its true, @cociu is offering temporary storage

• tgl said: yes, its true, @cociu is offering temporary storage

and for free with 1gbps dedicated so hope will be all good for him

Thanked by 2Chronic timelapse
  • Definitely go with @cociu he is going above and beyond to improve his services!

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • 2019 most improved provider @cociu

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited November 2019

most improvidised provisioner - @cociu offering last best opention :)

EDIT2: @willie surely does make good sense with suggestion to keep stuff in same DC if possible when schlepping 6 TB around though ... temporary volume at €0.04 per GB per month would be approximately €1.33 per TB per day - so 6 TB would cost about €8 per day using Hetzner cloud SSD volumes.

Compare with Hetzner storage box prices (https://www.hetzner.com/storage/storage-box): the BX50 does 5 TB for €21.90 per month, next largest is the BX60 with 10 TB for €39.90 ... Probably the cheaper / safer option as long as you don't need to do crazy stuff like piping dd directly over ssh.

I think Hetzner may invoice you for the monthly cost of storage box (probably after a few days) up front though. Also note that (I think) you should be able to increase the size of a storage box any time after you order it (ie from 5 TB to 10 TB) if/when necessary.

• Why not use Google Drive? 10TB is $99.99/m which is around $3 a day. Just get a 2TB plan for $9.99 and upgrade that to 10TB which will automatically change the billing date to something like 3 days (system automatically pro-rates the cost differences and changes the billing date accordingly). Google also gives you up to 7 days before blocking additional uploads after the due date.

Thanked by 2TimRoo uptime
  • sanvit said:
    Why not use Google Drive?

but, but ... don't they have a 750 GB per day transfer limit?

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • @uptime said:

sanvit said:

Si, but if it's one big file over 750gb it will continue to upload ;)

Thanked by 2Chronic Babynemo
  • dahartigan said: if it's one big file over 750gb it will continue to upload

that will go down on your permanent record!

• @uptime said:

sanvit said:

Apparently if you have a team drive, you can cycle through the users to bypass that limit.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @uptime said:

sanvit said:

iirc that's only for unlimited drive, and not for Google One?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @sanvit said:

@uptime said:

sanvit said:

iirc that's only for unlimited drive, and not for Google One?

Eww Google One looks horrible compared to unlimited Google Drive, but perhaps it has less limits? Either way, for the price per TB, much better value with a good LET host IMO. Unlimited gdrive is excellent value potassium once you bust over the 10TB mark, becomes increasingly more difficult to beat that value.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @cociu is quite innovative.. he has spare storage capacity and bandwidth and he is willing to help out for charity. Hardware and networks are easy to sort out; honest and sincere personality unfortunately can't be bought, even with billions of dollars.

Thanked by 2dahartigan Chronic
  • Whenever I've spun up a new Hetzner service (cloud vps, or in one case a small storage box) I got invoiced for it at the end of the month rather than immediately, since I already have a dedi and a few other things on monthly billing. But I don't know what would happen if I ordered something more expensive like another dedi or a large storage box.

Thanked by 2uptime Chronic
  • edited November 2019

@willie said:
    Whenever I've spun up a new Hetzner service (cloud vps, or in one case a small storage box) I got invoiced for it at the end of the month rather than immediately, since I already have a dedi and a few other things on monthly billing. But I don't know what would happen if I ordered something more expensive like another dedi or a large storage box.

I believe you get a 14-day grace period for all dedis you order. If you get billed for the invoice and cancel after my guess is that you'd be credited with an account balance.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • CyberneticTitan said: I believe you get a 14-day grace period for all dedis you order

That's different, that's essentially a mechanism for backing out of the order if the dedi doesn't suit your requirements. Abusing it is considered, um, abuse and can get your account closed. I'm just saying that when I've spun up a cloud VM, I haven't gotten billed for it til the end of the month. I don't remember when I got my first bill for my dedi (i.e. at order time or at the end of the month). It's the only one I've ordered so far (it still works great) so I can't report on patterns.

• Some interesting things mentioned, thanks everyone. I'm hugely grateful to @cociu and will get in touch with him about this, but I want to prep all the data first to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible and I'm not taking up too much of his server time.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • Thanks for doing this, Cociu! Chronic, please let us know how it goes. The amount of network transit is the most impressive part of this for me. I hope Cociu's upstream side isn't hosed by it.

• @cociu said:
    if tumorrow is not too late i can put a dedi if you want and you can do your job. You will need to donate to my love @nekki what you want for this. Pm and i will give you my skype

Hi,What does "donate to my love @nekki" mean? Can you explain it

• ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited November 2019

@jaazz said:

@cociu said:

Hi,What does "donate to my love @nekki" mean? Can you explain it

Thanked by 1scooke