Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to start a hosting side-business, anybody know any affordable resellers offering decent specs? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Want to start a hosting side-business, anybody know any affordable resellers offering decent specs?

2»

Comments

• AmmmuAmmmu Member
    edited November 2019

Instead of insulting me consistently, It would be great if you guys could guide me a little.. Like you need to increase your budget first - then you have to focus on these things - I've mentioned I'm new into these above :s

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The thing is that people like you share several common traits that drive you to fail.

This is not some gaming or indie dev stuff where you can learn as you go. You are attempting to enter a business where you will deal with other people's money pretty much immediately.

If you were truly sincere about what you are trying to do, you wouldn't ask on a public forum.
    Remember: People tend to do business in a subject they are well versed in.

Are you?

Thanked by 3Ammmu maverickp poisson
  • Buyshared come with Blesta...Btw, summer is coming?

Thanked by 2Ammmu Francisco
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited November 2019

@Ammmu said:
    Instead of insulting me consistently, It would be great if you guys could guide me a >little.. Like you need to increase your budget first - then you have to focus on these >things - I've mentioned I'm new into these above :s

I think what people are pointing out is your idea of 're-selling' may not be on par with what you actually need to do. Most services that support re-sellers only sell the resources on to you and then expect YOU to support the customer directly. Of course you can ticket and request assistance from the re-seller, should it be an issue specific to the platform, but otherwise you should be ready to support your customers directly.

Additionally, if you are going into this, even as a sole trader, there are a bunch of things you need to do first before you should even consider selling a product:

• Your own website
    • Your own billing system
    • Payment merchants to handle payments to you for the service
    • Your own support ticket system
    • Your own TOS and AUP stating what you support / don't allow

So, again, what this means is simply spending $100.00 per month isn't going to make you a re-seller or get you to a point where you are making money. You will need to put A LOT more effort into things, for example, setting up infrastructure for your self before you even consider finding a platform to partner with and resell.

So the reason you are feeling insulted here is, at least from what I can see, you never did any research on your own on this subject and thought someone would just tell you , "go pay X provider X and it's all good bro", when that isn't how things work. It's good people are exposing that you are unprepared now so that you don't waste your money trying this out without understanding what you will need from your side. No matter which way you do this it is not as simple as just 'buying a re-seller account' and then 'Profit$$$'.

The people who do re-sell or are doing similar things to what you are suggesting have already figured these things out and are simply trying to prevent you from screwing your self if you really think things are that easy.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 3ITLabs Ammmu maverickp
  • step 1: get rid of the avatar

• AmmmuAmmmu Member
    edited November 2019

@TheLinuxBug exactly, I heard it from a friend that you should start selling web hostings as it's not that hot-topic in our country right now! I agree I didn't do any research from my end and just came here like a kiddo bashing have - 100$ want - unlimited $$$ to profit - I swear my intentions are not even close to this type of planning , the only thing I researched was the resellers right now and was confused about it! I really appreciate your kind words ! I'll surely do a little more research about it first!

• @tgl Done Sir!

• About the business I guess you first need to decide your target customers (mainly locations) and then see about the resellers, right now there are a lot of hosting companies out there so you need something to make you special in order to make it against the competition, maybe you want to start a niche for hosting exotic locations.

Then you need to do some market analysis (e.g. SWOT, surveys), estimate your costs, decide on a budget, plan your sales and marketing strategies, build your website, sign the contract, and start advertising your business, and don't forget:

https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-percentage-of-small-businesses-fail

If its a side-business the risk is not that high, it will be just like an extra income if you do the math correctly.

Thanked by 1Ammmu
  • Appreciated a lot! Thank you -

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited November 2019

Trying to launch a general shared hosting service that competes with the big guys using reseller services is not going to succeed in 2019. That ship sailed 20 years ago.

However, selling shared hosting where you are providing some kind of value-add is quite doable. The classic example is a web designer who creates web sites for clients and then charges them $X per month to host it as well. There are still many people who don't want the hassle of managing their own shared hosting and are happy to turn it over to "their web guy".

Those kind of customers are not found by posting on LET or WHT. The bulk of the work there is in the design part of it, not the hosting part...that's just additional service revenue.

In short, if you think you're going to be the next Hostgator by reading "Your First 1,000 Customers in Web Hosting" and starting with a reseller account, you're not...that business model is dead. OTOH, doing web design and then hosting for your customers, or doing professional YouTube video production and also doing their web site, or becoming an expert in a particular web app and hosting it for people, etc. are still legitimate ways to make money in shared hosting.

Note that these are all endeavors with a ton of competition.

@TheLinuxBug said:
    So the reason you are feeling insulted here is, at least from what I can see, you never did any research on your own on this subject and thought someone would just tell you-

That's the first bad common trait of many.

Another trait is that they never seem to take on the good advice and go with bad ones.

Another is that they've got really thin skin and get offended easily, going PMS easily.

• @raindog308 you're pretty close to what I'm planning to do ! I'm a frontend Dev. by profession and I'm preparing to start my own set-up - I've got couple of clients as well and they are ready to pay us for managing there hosting and stuffs! It's just that isn't it possible I can show them something that I own a web hosting business and in the back end get something reliable? Of course I want to provide the best to my clients! It's not about profiting right now. It's about building relationships right now!

• @deank I didn't got offended mate I respect each and every comments from all of you.. I know it's common to listen these type of things when you're new into something ! It requires a lot a courage & patience in order to start something by your own! I'm sorry if I hurt you or anyone in anyway!

• Ammmu said: - Why you need to be so rude ? :S

Why did you call us trolls?

• @Janevski Where did I mention you guys troll? 'Why you needs to be so rude' is common statement I guess - I'm sorry if it hurts you !

I am detecting PMS.

• @Ammmu said:
    @Janevski Where did I mention you guys troll? 'Why you needs to be so rude' is common statement I guess - I'm sorry if it hurts you !

But i am just a mere shitposter, not a troll.
    Remeber, we are here to help and help we did.

Thanked by 2Ammmu uptime
  • I agree you all guys helped me a lot! Believe it or not, this is one of the finest community I've been in since a long time - really appreciate each and every single advice from all of you guys!

@Janevski said:

@J-Ski is not a troll. I AM a troll. J-Ski is more like a brother you loathe but keeps hanging around about.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Ammmu

Short version: DON'T!

Running a hosting operation is much more than having some systems on offer (or on reselling).This advice is even more valid when you need a panel.

Thanked by 1Ammmu
  • @deank said:

@Janevski said:

@J-Ski is not a troll. I AM a troll. J-Ski is more like a brother you loathe but keeps hanging around about.

@deank That's the nicest thing somebody said to me, ever! :heart: Respect.

The difference between trolling and shitposting is that...
    Trolling is like a high precision bombing - target destroyed, while shitposting is more like a hurricane passed over - everything destroyed, target ok.
    Directional vs omnidirectional.

Thanked by 2ITLabs deank
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Ammmu said:
    Instead of insulting me consistently, It would be great if you guys could guide me a little.. Like you need to increase your budget first - then you have to focus on these things - I've mentioned I'm new into these above :s

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, once.

Here's what you need to do to get started in this business properly:

1. Take a job at a hosting company for a while, to learn about the business, what it's like, etc. - without putting customers at risk (because if you decide to quit, there'll be someone else to keep things running).
    2. Build up a financial reserve that's big enough to run a hosting company - with your own servers, not a reseller package - at a loss for 2 years without going bankrupt.

Like others have mentioned, you cannot just jump into this business and expect to learn things on-the-go. As a hosting provider, other people depend on you to run your business well. That's why you need to gain some experience first, in a position where it's not a big problem if you decide to bail out; ie. as an employee of another provider.

There are probably providers on this forum who'd be happy to take you on, if you show the right attitude.

However, if you ignore the above and decide to jump into the deep end, you will fail, and take your customers down with you. Likewise, if you show that you're unwilling to do 'grunt work' and have delusions of grandeur about running a hosting company, providers probably won't want to hire you.

The hosting industry is a cutthroat industry. You're almost certainly not going to get rich off it. That doesn't mean that it can't be a rewarding job, if it's what you love doing - but if you go into this with the idea of building the Biggest Profitablest Provider Ever, then you're going to run aground. Remain humble.

On the "I have clients who want to pay me for hosting" thing: a reseller plan might work for that. However, do realize that you won't build a proper hosting business out of that, and you should be straightforward with your clients that you're actually just using some other provider and it's not your own infrastructure, you're just managing it for them.

• @Ammmu said:

@CokoMleko said:

@Ammmu said:
    Hey guys,
    I'm thinking to start a hosting side-business since i'm developing a little interest into it and i'm looking for decent resellers options. Please help me if anybody know about affordable hosting resellers offering decent specs - bandwidth and support! I would prefer cpanel over directadmin so it would be great if you can suggest options having cpanel included otherwise any type of response would be appreciated a lot :) !

Hoping to have

Yeah, you can definitely earn 100$ a year, but that is not side-business that you can scale up.

I just wanted to give a start right now - currently I can spend upto 100 bucks - can I get something in this budget? Obviously I would spend more if I found it interesting and want to scale it up!

And yeah, if you want to start that business, i recommend you to check out http://servedez.com/ forum, you will see nexusbytes hosting, i use them and they've been great

Thanked by 1Ammmu
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2019

Ammmu said: Where did I mention you guys troll?

And

Ammmu said: I'm already prepared for the trolls.

On a serious note. No one is insulting you. You insult common sense. You are acting like someone that want to test if he can earn some bucks on the back of other people that will not probably knowing where did they actually hosted their website (an amateur tester that today exist, tomorrow probably not because he did not earn money for his $100).
    See it from a client's perspective: if I was something like you, willing to find a reseller to sell for testing some hosting space spending $100 per month, lacking of knowledge how this works, not willing to setup a proper company, backups, billing panel, and advertise this service after a while here, on LET. Would you buy hosting from me to put there your own website? I guess, no. Please, don't answer me yes. Because if you would will to buy hosting from me, you should also tell us the reasons.
    See now? If you start reselling shared hosting AND you provide all those information to your potential clients as a... "disclaimer", then, OK, go for it. You will be crystal clear on what you are doing and you are not going to fool them. But if you just advertise a hosting company like any with a xxx random wordpress template as your "company" house, then, you are going to scam people sooner or later.

Ammmu said: you're pretty close to what I'm planning to do ! I'm a frontend Dev. by profession and I'm preparing to start my own set-up - I've got couple of clients as well and they are ready to pay us for managing there hosting and stuffs!

And this is a totally different scope. HAVING a business and clients and willing to setup a hosting service to add some extra value to your job, is perfectly valid. If you are planning to offer managed hosting as an add-on for existing service you offer, nice of you. But, be sincere... This was not what you asked in your thread...

Thanked by 2uptime Ammmu