Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Cloud Free Tier - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Cloud Free Tier

Comments

• Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

Will it run until I run out of free funds?

US$115.16 / US$300.00
    Total Days Used 32 / 30

• @RAINMAN said:
    Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

US$115.16 / US$300.00
    Total Days Used 32 / 30

Mine's still running. I have 2 always free nodes running still. I have terminated my other node which ran on free credits.

• @vaviloff said:
    Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

I wonder what is the definition of "active usage" here.

After your trial ends, your account remains active, and you can continue to create and use the Always Free resources described on this page. Paid resources that were provisioned during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account. Free accounts remain available as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/FreeTier/freetier.htm

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @RAINMAN said:
    Anyone else use up their free trial and have it still going? My VM is running still on day 32.

US$115.16 / US$300.00
    Total Days Used 32 / 30

Mine's not available,

during the trial ,I upgrade mine to a paid account,but after the trial ends,My account is disabled ,I donot know why ,I do nothing...all infomation is real and correct

so no use this free resources to your product environment cos you dont know when why your account will be gone...

• shvshv Member

Mine is still available (days used: 32/30). 4 paid instances outside of main region are still available. I can also create new paid instances.

• Not possible to verify account with debit or pre-paid cards. Only real credit card. Shame :(

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Seemed to work fine for me.

My trial period went until 35/30 days. Now I see a login banner that my trial period has ended and I can only access "always free" services (or upgrade to a paid plan). My two "always free" VMs I created during the trial period are still online.

Now and then I received a phone call from some Oracle employees asking about some feedback. I told them about my experience within 2-3 minutes and that I would like to continue on the free trial plan until I might (or not) upgrade to a paid plan sometime in the future.

So far seems legit to me.

• @LTniger said:
    Not possible to verify account with debit or pre-paid cards. Only real credit card. Shame :(

I used debit to register tho it failed at first since it only had like 1$ on it at the time. I added some 50$ to it and the account was instantly verified afterwards.

• Yeah think I might convert mine to a paid a/c too.

They're not massively powerful, but I suspect uptime on these will be better than the average LET

• @ynzheng said:

@vaviloff said:
    Always Free resources will remain available to you as long as you actively use your account

After your trial ends, your account remains active, and you can continue to create and use the Always Free resources described on this page. Paid resources that were provisioned during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account. Free accounts remain available as long as the account has been used within the past 60 days.

It would appear they've edited that part during the past ~3 days

• Did anybody figure out how to reinstall the OS?

I read a user suggested to create a non free instance and then switch the disks I think, but I don't wanna get charged.

• @479555 said:
    Did anybody figure out how to reinstall the OS?

I read a user suggested to create a non free instance and then switch the disks I think, but I don't wanna get charged.

What's wrong with remove/create new?

• @xaoc said:

@479555 said:

I fear I might do something wrong and lose the VM :/

• @479555 said:

@xaoc said:

@479555 said:

You might have to do it @ some point in the future anyways so might as well be now. xD

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Short (and probably stupid) question but I didn't find a clear answer on the OCP website:
    If I upgrade from the free tier to a paid account, will the first two micro compute, one load balancer etc. instances remain free and I only need to pay for additional instances, or is the free tier game over as soon as you upgrade from free to paid?

• @479555 said:

@xaoc said:

@479555 said:

Sounds like conflicting goals.

• @dfroe said:
    Short (and probably stupid) question but I didn't find a clear answer on the OCP website:
    If I upgrade from the free tier to a paid account, will the first two micro compute, one load balancer etc. instances remain free and I only need to pay for additional instances, or is the free tier game over as soon as you upgrade from free to paid?

You have to upgrade in order to use the non'free stuff. Free things remain free.

Thanked by 1dfroe
  • farsighterfarsighter Member
    edited November 2019

Just want to update that a friend of mine IRL has managed to get PTR records (aka reverse DNS) set for his IPs.

Findings:
    First, no way to do that alone.

He reported he had to open an SR with support (a neat one - not a chat window!) and they did it for him (in free tier).

Yes expect some waiting, their support is frustrating sometimes, just be clear and they'll eventually help.

• @farsighter said:
    Just want to update that a friend of mine IRL has managed to get PTR records (aka reverse DNS) set for his IPs.

Findings:

He reported he had to open an SR with support (a neat one - not a chat window!) and they did it for him (in free tier).

Yes expect some waiting, their support is frustrating sometimes, just be clear and they'll eventually help.

Can you check with your friend and see if he was within the 30 day window when opening a SR with support? I believe after the 30 days your SR entitlements are no longer and phone support/web SRs are not valid anymore.

• @daxterfellowes said:
    Can you check with your friend and see if he was within the 30 day window when opening a SR with support?.

Yes, he was lucky to do that few days after registration.

@daxterfellowes said:
    I believe after the 30 days your SR entitlements are no longer and phone support/web SRs are not valid anymore.

True. From https://docs.cloud.oracle.com/iaas/Content/GSG/Tasks/contactingsupport.htm :

This option is available to paid accounts. Customers using only Always Free resources are not eligible for Oracle Support. Limited support is available to Free Tier accounts with Free Trial credits. After you use all of your credits or after your trial period ends (whichever comes first), you must upgrade to a paid account to access Oracle Support. If you choose not to upgrade and continue to use Always Free Services, you will not be eligible to raise a service request in My Oracle Support.

• @havocx said:

@ynzheng said:

@vaviloff said:

It would appear they've edited that part during the past ~3 days

As of now, I don't see this requirement:

After your trial ends, your account remains active. There is no interruption to the availability of the Always Free Resources you have provisioned. You can terminate and re-provision Always Free resources as needed.

Paid resources that were provisioned with your credits during your free trial are reclaimed by Oracle unless you upgrade your account.

• Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @FoxelVox said:
    Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

There is a policy that people who use words like "welp" cannot continue service.

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • There is any region with no "Out of host capacity" ??

• @farsighter said:

Findings:

So i need to open 52 SRs in order to get my PTRs? :neutral:

• @dfroe said:
    Seemed to work fine for me.

My trial period went until 35/30 days. Now I see a login banner that my trial period has ended and I can only access "always free" services (or upgrade to a paid plan). My two "always free" VMs I created during the trial period are still online.

Now and then I received a phone call from some Oracle employees asking about some feedback. I told them about my experience within 2-3 minutes and that I would like to continue on the free trial plan until I might (or not) upgrade to a paid plan sometime in the future.

So far seems legit to me.

Can you provide the main diff between the "always free" and the "free trial"?

• @FoxelVox said:
    Welp, they ended my always free package with the 'free' 30 days credit.

Same here.

Today they surprisingly terminated both of my "VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro" instances without any notification.

Support also can't explain, why they was terminated. Answer was: "All ok, you account is still active. Please try to create those instances once again".

Shape: VM.Standard.E2.1.Micro
    Created: Sun, 06 Oct 2019 16:01:05 UTC

Today: 06 Nov 2019

• Quick update: Reserved Public IP Count limit gets set to 1 instead of 50 after the trial ends. So much for my dreams of handing out free ZNCs to peeps... :neutral:

Thanked by 1Babynemo
  • My account has stopped working and I have 2 servers always free, I have contacted customer service and they don't give me a solution.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE, DO NOT RISK YOUR DATA

• How does an account stop working?