Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which shared hosting providers have you used in the past ? Why you have changed to a LET VPS ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which shared hosting providers have you used in the past ? Why you have changed to a LET VPS ?

I have used a siteground hosting provider . It was a noob friendly but the speed was a problem even for a noob like me some years ago . I have changed the provider because the speed with wordpress was about 4 Seconds with well optimized theme .

I have changed it to fastcomet . Another company which was ¨great¨ Everything was working as expected my speed has increased just going with them to 2 seconds and everything was OK. Unfortunately their pricing has climbed from 1 year to another and i have changed them to a LET VPS for a 20% of the price and 4 times better speed . Need for speed and saving money . WIN-WIN . I have seen the new pricing of fastcomet and is almost 100 dollars more per year than the previous year and paying 240 dollars for a shared hosting is out of mind.

Which shared hosting providers have used in the past ? Why have changed them to a LET VPS?

Comments

• I started out with Hostgator which was a huge mistake since I was paying over $10 monthly for my small WP site. Now I am using buyshared.net from @Francisco which is faster and way cheaper.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • JordJord Moderator, Host Rep

Has anyone mentioned Hetzner?

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • I'm still using GeoCities and Tripod.

• @ITLabs said:
    I'm still using GeoCities and Tripod.

Welcome back to 1995 Where internet was a luxury

• HostWithLove.com, having generally good experience with them, support is fast and awesome.

One day I decided to move to a cheaper solution, BuyShared, because I had job to focus on, putting my hosting service to hiatus. Still delivering services to current clients privately. Honestly, I want to go back to them when I'm ready to focus again offering hosting services.

The unexpected and sad part, after I moved all of my accounts to BuyShared, my reseller IP (dedicated IP on BuyShared) got DDoS'ed the whole week after the migration, so I got null-routed. At that time HWL sales tried as best they can do to get me back, my BuyShared IP still hammered while we communicating. I then suspected maybe the guy who doing that is HWL, so I stop replying them, after few days my IP goes up till now.

I didn't serve many clients at that time, all of them I believe didn't attract DDoS, mostly education websites and some personal blog with low traffic.

And now, I'm a happy BuyShared customer.

• I started with iPage, which was.... :(

Now I use MyW @MikePT and BuyShared @Francisco, as well as some VMs from various providers here on LET. Way cheaper than what I paid before with better support and speed :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • DPDP Administrator, The Domain Guy
    edited November 2019

I'll not mention the past but what's important is, with LE* providers, I just feel that there's more engagement and that you're an actual valued customer, as compared to those big companies, where you're just another customer.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sanvit said:
    I started with iPage, which was.... :(

Now I use MyW @MikePT and BuyShared @Francisco, as well as some VMs from various providers here on LET. Way cheaper than what I paid before with better support and speed :)

Superb client! 😁 ❤️

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

Long story how and why I ended up on LET but now have a mix of VPS and Shared Hosting @MikePT and @Mic-hael and HostMantis and happy with them. All other VPS usage is WIP also known as idling.

Earlier shared hosting on Godaddy and then Hostgator

p.s: there’s a WP group on fb where many, many ppl recommend siteground :-)

p.p.s: @ITLabs Angelfire is offended.
    And which Tripod plan do you use? The free or the $5/month ?

Those still interested in a Geocities account:

Geocities dot ws

Thanked by 3ITLabs MikePT level6
  • I've used Webfaction - developer friendly provider. They used to host with Softlayer and offered fair-usage unlimited shared RAM, 100 GB SSD, unlimited shared CPU for $10 per month. It was a shared hosting but worked like VPS. Later they bought out by Godaddy but by that time I left them and got few low end vps here and shared hosting accounts too!

Thanked by 2vyas11 scooke
  • @vyas11 said:
    Long story how and why I ended up on LET but now have a mix of VPS and Shared Hosting @MikePT and @Mic-hael and happy with it. All other VPS usage is WIP also known as idling.

Earlier shared hosting on GD and then HG.

p.s: there’s a WP group on fb where many, many ppl recommend siteground :-)

p.p.s: @ITLabs Angelfire is offended

I do not know why siteground is so recommended . It s a slow shared hosting . Even another shared hosting company double their speed .....better for us .4 seconds vs 511ms ;) I hope siteground would have lots of users

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited November 2019

@Sofia_K

Wondering if you have left GD, how come you still recommend them in your sig. Would be keen to know if there was some feature/ aspect that I might have missed while hosting with them.

• I don't see a point in running a VPS for my needs. Shared hosting works fine, fast enough. With zero server administration worries.

Currently with HostMantis and MYW.pt (run by member @MikePT ) reseller hosting (latter one still quite briefly, but will move more sites there by the end of the year).

Fast? Yes.
    Secure? For all I could test and know - yes.
    Stable/reliable? Yes.
    Price? As cheap as I can imagine.

VPS? Beyond my level of knowledge and experience. If/when I find the time, might start with a managed one, just to learn the ropes, see where that goes. But not any time soon most probably.

Thanked by 2uptime MikePT
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited November 2019

I started out on Shared Hosting, got an LE VPS and ultimately decided to settle on Shared Hosting again. The reason mainly being that Shared Hosting uses so many licensed stuff like JetBackup, cPanel/DA, Cloud Linux which makes life so much easier that I ditched VPS for website hosting and settled on Shared Hosting to have more free time.

Providers I am currently having a shared hosting account with (I am explicitly not saying "using", because I am a good LET person and some services are idling): SmallWeb ( @Mic-hael ), MyW ( @MikePT ), Inception Hosting ( @AnthonySmith ), HostMantis.

Providers that I have used in the past, which I would recommend again: All-Inkl, Brixly ( @brixly ), MisterHost ( @ZotiMediaGroup ).

• @Ympker said:
    I started out on Shared Hosting, got an LE VPS and ultimately decided to settle on Shared Hosting again. The reason mainly being that Shared Hosting uses so many licensed stuff like JetBackup, cPanel/DA, Cloud Linux which makes life so much easier that I ditched VPS for website hosting and settled on Shared Hosting to have more free time.

Please correct me if any of the statements below are wrong:

In addition to bothering with management, this is another thing to consider.
    For example, most of my use is WordPress websites and a few pure html ones.

CloudLinux is very good for isolating separate accounts on a single server - so messing one up (virus, hack, whatever) doesn't affect the others. Wouldn't want to risk having one WordPress website infect all the others.

While LiteSpeed gives the best performance of all the caching I've tried. Would a good VPS be as fast, even without LiteSpeed? Perhaps. That I haven't tested. But shared hosting with LiteSpeed does work very well with WordPress.

To top it all, being a noob, GUI is still very much appreciated, so some control panel is a must.

The costs of licencing for the above listed add up and are rather high.

So, for starting, I'd have to see about good open source alternatives for the above mentioned, plus learn what's needed to run a VPS stably and secure it properly.

Probably also checking the logs daily (if anything "important" is running on the VPS) - keeping track of the resource usage, failed login attempts (or anything else suspicious), keep track of (security) updates, figuring out if they mess anything up that's already running, see about backups (and additional backups).

Without having tried it, VPS looks like a time (and money) pit, compared to good quality shared/reseller hosting. For my use cases at least.

I also hear people recommending a VPS for better performance - as a sort of a "step up" from shared hosting. But many shared hosting providers offer, how to put it, "boosted" shared hosting plans (using different names for it, like "Enterprise", "Semi dedicated" etc.). Boiling down to having higher resource limits (and more "real" server resources available - less oversold). Hence, even for "more power", a VPS is not always necessary, is it?

My take is that VPS has its place, for those needing even more resources than "boosted" shared hosting providers are happy to offer, or needing some special setup (and more server access privileges) than can be allowed in a shared hosting environment - provided they know what they are doing, or hire @MikePT :) (paid advert, 2 ounces of potassium via a first class pigeon delivery).

• localhost under my desk

• I started with Hawk Host, really liked them but I moved over to using VPSes because I loved setting up my own servers and tuning them.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

Please correct me if any of the statements below are wrong:

In addition to bothering with management, this is another thing to consider.
    For example, most of my use is WordPress websites and a few pure html ones.

CloudLinux is very good for isolating separate accounts on a single server - so messing one up (virus, hack, whatever) doesn't affect the others. Wouldn't want to risk having one WordPress website infect all the others.

While LiteSpeed gives the best performance of all the caching I've tried. Would a good VPS be as fast, even without LiteSpeed? Perhaps. That I haven't tested. But shared hosting with LiteSpeed does work very well with WordPress.

To top it all, being a noob, GUI is still very much appreciated, so some control panel is a must.

The costs of licencing for the above listed add up and are rather high.

So, for starting, I'd have to see about good open source alternatives for the above mentioned, plus learn what's needed to run a VPS stably and secure it properly.

Probably also checking the logs daily (if anything "important" is running on the VPS) - keeping track of the resource usage, failed login attempts (or anything else suspicious), keep track of (security) updates, figuring out if they mess anything up that's already running, see about backups (and additional backups).

Without having tried it, VPS looks like a time (and money) pit, compared to good quality shared/reseller hosting. For my use cases at least.

I also hear people recommending a VPS for better performance - as a sort of a "step up" from shared hosting. But many shared hosting providers offer, how to put it, "boosted" shared hosting plans (using different names for it, like "Enterprise", "Semi dedicated" etc.). Boiling down to having higher resource limits (and more "real" server resources available - less oversold). Hence, even for "more power", a VPS is not always necessary, is it?

My take is that VPS has its place, for those needing even more resources than "boosted" shared hosting providers are happy to offer, or needing some special setup (and more server access privileges) than can be allowed in a shared hosting environment - provided they know what they are doing, or hire @MikePT :) (paid advert, 2 ounces of potassium via a first class pigeon delivery).

Now thats two bottles full of potassium!!! 😁

To be frank, what pisses me off still is the lack of a proper backup system for DA, or Jetbackups. I wonder what is the ETA. Should be soon (TM).

Other than that, yes, DA is affordable but all the other third party plugins are still required. Licensed LiteSpeed, CloudLinux, shitty Softaculous etc. If I were to develop a panel, I would include all these but LiteSpeed. I have never met such great guys, both at DA and LiteSpeed.

Uptime wise, we did have a major downtime a few months ago (2 perhaps?) caused by a bad LiteSpeed debug version which was since then corrected. DA requires minimal maintenance, it works superbly well.

Thanked by 2Ympker bikegremlin
  • king8654king8654 Member
    edited November 2019

Currently have accounts with buyshared, myw.pt, dedicated node, monstermegs. All have been great this past year, no complaints.

Also have vps with buyvm, smart host, drserver, hostsolutions (1.38$ month lolz) and virmach. Most idle, few used as seed boxes or hosting random sites. Think it's a hoarding problem and me thinking I'll actually have time to finish a few online classes on Linux administration

Thanked by 2MikePT cociu
  • Site5 was a decent host .... before EIG.

• A lot of people love VPS just to run benchmarks on them.

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • I also started out with WebFaction, like @Sofia_K. It was really fun delving into this web world. Eventually, once Ghost came out, I needed to jump ship to a VPS since WF couldn't offer node apps. I will always look back fondly at that time.

• williewillie Member
    edited November 2019

I use virmach (vpsshared) and buyvm (buyshared) for shared hosting. Both work great for the very simple, low traffic personal sites I use them for. Pushbutton template installation for everything, automatic backups, the host takes care of outages and other snags, database is already there, what more can you want? The main limitation is that is that the backend language is usually PHP.

VPS gives you much more resources per $ and finer grained control and you can use whatever software and other dev tools you want. That's my main reason for putting stuff on VPS. But it means you're the one who has to fix anything that breaks, and stuff often breaks at 3 in the morning. For a personal site on a VPS, I don't care about that: I'll let it stay down til I get around to fixing it, which might be never. For a small business site where downtime has costs, I'd probably look for some decent quality shared hosting with reasonable monitoring, and hope that the host notices and fixes stuff before I do. For a more serious business site you have to do the whole bit yourself with monitoring, pager duty etc. Services like Lambda and Heroku try to automate some of that but at the end of the day it's still up to you.