Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solus.io - Alpha Testing - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solus.io - Alpha Testing

2»

Comments

• hostdare said: solus is not cpanel , there are lots of alternatives

cpanel is not solus , there are lots of alternatives

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

SpryServers_Tab said: Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally! LMFAO. Only took like 7 years.

They seem to stress it's not SolusVM V2, because that way their parent company can still increase prices since I believe they did say they wouldn't raise prices in the past and even seemed to have agreements with some providers not to increase prices.

@Francisco said:
    I'm expecting per core. Probably $5/m to $7/m per core.

Francisco

Francisco said: They seem to be favoring a per core cost like OnApp.

I think this is probably the most accurate guess, but I did kind of get the vibe from some of what may have been said that they might consider per VM.

Francisco said: Per-core pricing will be less than OnApp

I don't think it will be much cheaper when you compare it to a custom/volume quote from OnApp. This is purely a hypothetical but I believe OnApp could in some cases end up only costing 3x more than SolusVM.

Francisco said: At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

Francisco said: It's also possible they do a minimum base cost + per VM cost. Say $10.00/month/node and then $0.50/VM/month.

Francisco said: I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

I mean if they're basing it on recent trends they will most likely have a base price to ensure it's a rip-off from the get-go. I'd say around $30 per month base price for 4 cores then $5 a month per core.

They might still have a "tiny" license similar to cPanel Solo.

SmartHost said: That would make us jump ship for sure. That would be a worse increase than the CPanel fiasco. I can't see them loosing low end clients (unlimited resellers)

Francisco said: v1 & v2 will exist at the same time until v2 is feature parity to v1 (OpenVZ looks to be the main blocker).
    Even once parity is met there will be a grace period before forced move to v2.

They're going to expect low end stays on SolusVM. They'll most likely continue doing what they have been doing and ensure SolusVM does not receive any meaningful feature updates so it doesn't compete with their actual product.

I don't think they're going to force anyone into V2 because even they know that's a fantasy.

SmartHost said: I know at that price, the increase would be so much, that it would cover the costs of just hiring our own programmer (US), or several offshore. Heck, I'd pull out the old vePortal code, and just get that refreshed, before I paid those prices.

We've considered that and it seems counter-productive. It's definitely possible to get somewhere alone, but I think the best thing that could be done is if some top providers pool resources together to make something decent.

AnthonySmith said: I think its important not to think of solus.io as a replacement for v1.

Obviously it will need to have a significantly different feature set WELL above and beyond v1 (as lets be honest virtualizor surpassed v1 in terms of features 5 years ago now) to have any appeal to this customer base.

I don't expect v1 will be scrapped at xx-xx-20xx just because solus.io is available, I suspect solus.io will be a "run your own DO/Vultr" type of product which obviously adds oppertunity for more revenue for customers so may be worth paying the extra for.

Basically this. Virtualizor, ehh.

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

VirMach said: We've considered that and it seems counter-productive. It's definitely possible to get somewhere alone, but I think the best thing that could be done is if some top providers pool resources together to make something decent.

I've always wanted to get down on a project like this. "Made by providers, for providers" type of thing. Kind of like what dedicated.com does with SynergyCP, except a team of hosts, as to have a larger and more robust development cycle.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Must be time for the annual lets develop our own control panel conversation then :) I have been an avid participant in it many years running, bit early this year but I will embrace it all the same :disappointed:

@AnthonySmith said:
    Must be time for the annual lets develop our own control panel conversation then :) I have been an avid participant in it many years running, bit early this year but I will embrace it all the same :disappointed:

hahah LETs do it. :lol:

MUST HAVE HOURLY BILLING!

@AnthonySmith said:
    MUST HAVE HOURLY BILLING!

Obviously! Shit, why not make it per minute billing?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

VirMach said: They seem to stress it's not SolusVM V2, because that way their parent company can still increase prices since I believe they did say they wouldn't raise prices in the past and even seemed to have agreements with some providers not to increase prices.

On initial because solus.io isn't shipping with OVZ support.

Once OVZ support is added they intend to sunset v1 from what the Discord user mentioned.

That's why I think the price hike will be there, but not so bad that they murder the entire market.

Still, there's many hosts out there that a $10/month increase per node is going to put them in the red and force price increases.

Francisco

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:
    Still, there's many hosts out there that a $10/month increase per node is going to put them in the red and force price increases.

$10 month increase per node would be more than reasonable, even though still a 100% increase, "if" they actually fixed some of the non-working functions (such as Central Backup) and gave some new features (easier way to do dual storage types for example).

Francisco said: On initial because solus.io isn't shipping with OVZ support.

Once OVZ support is added they intend to sunset v1 from what the Discord user mentioned.

I imagine they are waiting for OpenVZ 8, given the disaster that the virtuozzo 7 roll out has been I think that's probably a smart move.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I imagine they are waiting for OpenVZ 8, given the disaster that the virtuozzo 7 roll out has been I think that's probably a smart move.

OVZ 8 is probably a year or more out.

SmartHost said: $10 month increase per node would be more than reasonable, even though still a 100% increase, "if" they actually fixed some of the non-working functions (such as Central Backup) and gave some new features (easier way to do dual storage types for example).

Do centralbackups even work? At one point after the hack they simply threw a exit() at the top and called it a day.

I don't think $10/m increase per node will be enough.

While someone brought up fleio, it's riding on top of a fairly large platform that is a beast to maintain. Many hosts on these forums are doomed outside of whatever tutorials/guides that SolusVM posts. Fleio isn't going to start giving free openstack management.

My recommendation? Put in a ticket with them and ask them what the current plan is. It'd do them and the community a lot of good to figure out what a reasonable middle ground is.

2020 will be the year of increases. You'll have hosts having to raise both cPanel and probably VPS costs.

Francisco

edited November 2019

Francisco said: OVZ 8 is probably a year or more out.

Yes but not to them, its all part of the same group, they devs even sit in the same physical office, a year out for public release but they can be working on it directly with the devs so they have day 1 integration at no extra effort.

And whats a year when its been the better part of 6 already :)

• New mail from solus.io: https://imgur.com/a/uajIn3X

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

I wonder what their time frames are... glad it seems to have past Alpha pretty quickly, also some more details on their website would be good to see soon!