Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time! - Page 16
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Los Angeles NVMe + Block Storage 3TB $7 limited time!

Comments

• @dahartigan said:
    some other providers that even if you don't upload a single byte, they still kick your ass for torrenting,

Do you suppose that might be due to disk i/o usage (or whatever strains shared system resources) - or risk management due to previous bad experience, or ...?

Feel free to PM me the list of providers likely to cut your nuts off. (Asking for a friend ...) I'm guessing it may be a much shorter list than the don't ask / don't tell curation.

• @uptime said:

@dahartigan said:
    some other providers that even if you don't upload a single byte, they still kick your ass for torrenting,

Do you suppose that might be due to disk i/o usage (or whatever strains shared system resources) - or risk management due to previous bad experience, or ...?

Feel free to PM me the list of providers likely to cut your nuts off. (Asking for a friend ...) I'm guessing it may be a much shorter list than the don't ask / don't tell curation.

Well, torrenting in general is a fairly demanding procedure for the network and the disk IO. I always limit mine severely - 1 torrent at a time downloading, and a max of 10 peers. That's because I don't like being noisy.

I also suspect that with most "torrent friendly" providers is that the notices come in but they don't act on them, whereas the "not as friendly" will forward them to you.

More than happy to continue our PM on this topic if you want @uptime ;)

Thanked by 2uptime skorous
  • @SpeedTest What benchmark script/tool are you using, can you please share?

• Speedtest uses speedtest script :-).

Url in the first two or three lines of the BM result.

Thanked by 1andrew1995
  • vyas11 said: Speedtest uses speedtest script :-).

It uses a bunch of scrips combined

@andrew1995
    https://bench.monster/speedtest.html

Thanked by 2uptime andrew1995
  • @key900 is my.letbox.com down? Unable to access the site/ control panel.

• @plumberg said:
    @key900 is my.letbox.com down? Unable to access the site/ control panel.

Yes

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@plumberg said:
    @key900 is my.letbox.com down? Unable to access the site/ control panel.

Firewall issue with our website and we working into it.

BTW: It doesn’t effecting with any services.

• @dahartigan said:
    Put it this way - the provider isn't going to say "Hey everyone, go nuts torrenting!"

If you'd like some anecdotal evidence to help with your question, I personally have been successful in downloading torrents using this service. I haven't seeded a byte, and that could be the key to my success. YMMV.

EDIT: I have found with some other providers that even if you don't upload a single byte, they still kick your ass for torrenting, which is completely fair enough. I would compare it to legalized vs decriminalized. Our romanian friend is "legalized" and everyone else is "decriminalized". Some providers are like the judge/jury/executioner though in this analogy.

How do you not have a single byte seeded? That's not how torrents work. Please post screenshot showing downloads with absolutely no uploaded bytes.

• @TimboJones said:

@dahartigan said:
    Put it this way - the provider isn't going to say "Hey everyone, go nuts torrenting!"

If you'd like some anecdotal evidence to help with your question, I personally have been successful in downloading torrents using this service. I haven't seeded a byte, and that could be the key to my success. YMMV.

EDIT: I have found with some other providers that even if you don't upload a single byte, they still kick your ass for torrenting, which is completely fair enough. I would compare it to legalized vs decriminalized. Our romanian friend is "legalized" and everyone else is "decriminalized". Some providers are like the judge/jury/executioner though in this analogy.

How do you not have a single byte seeded? That's not how torrents work. Please post screenshot showing downloads with absolutely no uploaded bytes.

You're kidding, right? You use transmission and you set upload to 0, disallow seeding. You only receive parts of Linux ISOs and never send any parts of Linux ISOs.

Obviously if everyone did that, torrents would cease to exist.

Provide screenshots of proof that this doesn't work.

• @dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@dahartigan said:

You're kidding, right? You use transmission and you set upload to 0, disallow seeding. You only receive parts of Linux ISOs and never send any parts of Linux ISOs.

iirc you need to send in order to recieve. My personal expirence is that if you limit your upload speed to 0, you won't be able to download either (I may have configured wrong though. Not an expert on this). afaik torrent clients think of seeding as uploading after you download the full file. So anything uploaded while downloading is not counted as seeding (thus disallowing seeding still uploads during when files are being downloaded).

Anyway, seeding should also be fine as long as you don't hammer system resources, and doesn't get any complaints (use a proper VPN or proxy)

Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • dahartigandahartigan Member
    edited October 2019

@sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@dahartigan said:

iirc you need to send in order to recieve. My personal expirence is that if you limit your upload speed to 0, you won't be able to download either (I may have configured wrong though. Not an expert on this). afaik torrent clients think of seeding as uploading after you download the full file. So anything uploaded while downloading is not counted as seeding (thus disallowing seeding still uploads during when files are being downloaded).

Anyway, seeding should also be fine as long as you don't hammer system resources, and doesn't get any complaints (use a proper VPN or proxy)

The only torrent client I use is transmission-daemon. In settings.json you can set these flags, which will never upload anything:

"speed-limit-up": 0,
    "speed-limit-up-enabled": true,
    "ratio-limit": 0,
    "ratio-limit-enabled": true,

This will make sure that a) nothing can be uploaded, and b) it won't attempt to seed the file while it's downloading or after it's completed.

When I say I haven't uploaded a single byte of data, what I'm referring to specifically is the torrent data itself. Not the TCP ACK packets etc. In the scope of avoiding DMCA, uploading "illegal material" is the problem - and if you're not uploading any, there's no problem.

EDIT: For anyone who uses private trackers and seedboxes, what I'm talking about will NOT help you. This is for free loading off public trackers and avoiding "sharing illegal content" which in turn avoids DMCA notices.

EDIT2: @sanvit @TimboJones PM if you want to discuss more, I'm not really sure it's appropriate to talk about this in a provider's offer thread ;)

@deadlyllama said:
    Any more stock coming? Can this be combined with an existing letbox?

@sanvit said:

@dahartigan said:

@TimboJones said:

@dahartigan said:

O believe it possible!

• When I torrent download a linux iso I don't make any attempt to throttle uploading, but my upload speed is usually 0 anyway, just because so many people are seeding from beefier servers than mine.

• @willie said:
    When I torrent download a linux iso I don't make any attempt to throttle uploading, but my upload speed is usually 0 anyway, just because so many people are seeding from beefier servers than mine.

Yep. This is usually fine as long as you aren't trying to pluck an ISO within the first 45m of release

• I just did a fresh install of windows... How do I get the network drivers installed? Any help? Thnx

@plumberg said:
    I just did a fresh install of windows... How do I get the network drivers installed? Any help? Thnx

Used the Pre-installed Windows or iso?

• @key900 said:

@plumberg said:
    I just did a fresh install of windows... How do I get the network drivers installed? Any help? Thnx

no, i used a fresh install ISO.

@plumberg said:

@key900 said:

@plumberg said:

Go to and mount Virtio iso drive by following

https://my.letbox.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/47/How-to-mount-iso.html

then in Windows >> Device Manager >> select the network adapter and install it.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • Any chance somebody will cancel their and stock will be back? I know I'm late, just trying ^^

• @key900 said:

@plumberg said:

@key900 said:

@plumberg said:

Go to and mount Virtio iso drive by following

https://my.letbox.com/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/47/How-to-mount-iso.html

then in Windows >> Device Manager >> select the network adapter and install it.

Thank you. It worked. But I just realized that the windows install happened on the block storage instead of NVME. Any idea how I can setup on NVME disk ? @key900

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited October 2019

plumberg said: Any idea how I can setup on NVME disk ?

didn't you select the drive during windows install? ;-)

also read this thread from the beginning, watch out for @ehab posts

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Falzo said:

plumberg said: Any idea how I can setup on NVME disk ?

didn't you select the drive during windows install? ;-)

also read this thread from the beginning, watch out for @ehab posts

Good point. It didn't list the nvme. I just moved ahead. Will check the thread from beginning. Thnx

• plumberg said: It didn't list the nvme.

if that's the case, then you probably just need to load the virtio drivers first to make the nvme appear in the list at all. But I have no clue if you can remount the ISOs live with their control panel to get the drivers disk in...

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @Falzo said:

plumberg said: It didn't list the nvme.

if that's the case, then you probably just need to load the virtio drivers first to make the nvme appear in the list at all. But I have no clue if you can remount the ISOs live with their control panel to get the drivers disk in...

Interesting point. Will check.

@Falzo said:

plumberg said: It didn't list the nvme.

Same way mount it first time however we can mount 2 or more iso if you want just submit support ticket.

Thanked by 3Falzo plumberg beagle
  • edfox said: Any chance somebody will cancel their and stock will be back? I know I'm late, just trying

I will cancel mine at 20th this month so may be you can get one then or if key allow to transfer I can do it right away.

• @samm said:

edfox said: Any chance somebody will cancel their and stock will be back? I know I'm late, just trying

I will cancel mine at 20th this month so may be you can get one then or if key allow to transfer I can do it right away.

may i ask why you're cancelling? something up with the service?

• sjkme said: something up with the service?

No issue, service is great and box is solid rock. Just don't need it right now as I got another box so may be in future I'll use it. Very happy with my box. Can't comment on the support as didn't get chance to interact with them with any issue.

• @samm said:

sjkme said: something up with the service?

No issue, service is great and box is solid rock. Just don't need it right now as I got another box so may be in future I'll use it. Very happy with my box. Can't comment on the support as didn't get chance to interact with them with any issue.

ok, if you decide to let go of your letbox let me know i wouldn't mind taking it.