Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Question about NIC direct connection between servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about NIC direct connection between servers

Hi guys, I'm facing some problems about network interfaces setup, here is the detail:

I'm now building a small cluster with three nodes (debian 9), let's call them ServerA ServerB ServerC.
Each server have three physical network interfaces, let's call them NIC1 NIC2 NIC3. In these interfaces, NIC1/NIC2 are 10G ports and NIC3 is 1G port.
NIC3 of each server is connected to a 1G speed switch.

In order to have a higher speed for internal connection, I initially connect A1-B1 and A2-C1, it works fine with at a 10Gb speed. But the connection between ServerB and ServerC is depend on ServerA. So I connected B2-C2 then the network became unstable.

I know there is a loop problem for that so I bonded the A1-B1 and A2-C1 with a active-backup mode, I thought it can solve that problem, but not.

So is there a better way to solve this? Something like stp software?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2019

liujason said: Something like stp software?

Yes, set up both NICs on each server into a bridge, then make sure it runs brctl stp brX on at each startup (via an up line in /etc/network/interfaces). The downside is that all 3 servers will have to go through one of them (and a random one, unless you tinker with "path costs") to access the 1G network. On the plus side is that when that one goes down, the network will auto-reconfigure to use a different one for that, though that could incur like half a minute of downtime during the process.

Here's how my setup with this looked like, when I used it like this:

Crossed out are the links auto-disabled by STP, basically the purpose of that is to prevent loops.