Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best VPS provider for clean IPs for self-hosted outgoing mail gateway?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

best VPS provider for clean IPs for self-hosted outgoing mail gateway?

i want to stop using sendgrid and host my own outgoing email gateway.

But the biggest problem i am facing is the issue of dedicated IP ranges from VPS providers going on spam blacklists.

So can anyone recommend a VPS provider that is know to keep clean IPs and do a good job of keeping them clean? I myself will do a good job with my own IP. But i dont want the issue of other IPs in the same block effecting me.

Comments

• I know that HostDoc has a strong zero tolerance policy, and IP space is clean. I say that as a HostDoc rep.

As a customer, I have had 100% success and rate extremely highly lunanode @perennate

If you keep your IP clean you'll have zero problems with the above mentioned:-)

Thanked by 2uptime cirrus_cloud
  • I also used @perennate lunanode and it was clean. Now I moved to @SmartHost thanks to their awesome deal (not quite sure of the exact specs, but was really cheap with 5 IPs). I did get a VM with multiple IPs so it will fallback to another IP when one fails due to IP blacklisting/reputation.

Just note that you will have almost 0 success rate sending to inbox on Microsoft hosted emails, since MS seems to send emails from new IPs to spam by default.

Thanked by 1cirrus_cloud
  • I've used BuyVM for many years now with great success.

• edited October 2019

@VirMach have good reputation for keeping the IP clean..

• @chocolateshirt said:

iirc you're not allowed to run mailservers

• @sanvit said:

@chocolateshirt said:

without approval

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • @sanvit said:

@chocolateshirt said:

I think I saw before that you can run a mail server, but can not exceed like 100? emails per day. Idk, hope @virmach could clarify.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited October 2019

@muffin said:

@sanvit said:

@chocolateshirt said:

I think I saw before that you can run a mail server, but can not exceed like 100? emails per day. Idk, hope @virmach could clarify.

I think they block the mail port by default and you have to open a ticket, other than that don't spam but I dunno

\._./

• I know you're looking for a VPS, but why don't you save yourself the hassle of fighting against IP reputation and simply go with MXRoute?

• Use Cloud VPS: DO, Vultr, Linode to create instance. After check the IP at https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx. If the IP Address in the spam list, Create another instance.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@SirFoxy said:

@muffin said:

@sanvit said:

@chocolateshirt said:

I think they block the mail port by default and you have to open a ticket, other than that don't spam but I dunno

\._./

We're redoing this in the next couple weeks and we'll most likely be more clear and better handle blacklistings.

• I have a Mega Deal special from Nexus Bytes. So for haven’t had any issue with blacklisted or lost emails

• I'm still using googles free custom domain email account for my emails. Too bad they stopped offering these for free to new clients.

Self hosted outgoing email gateways are going to be obsolete soon due to all the spammers blocking existing IPv4s one by one. As for IPv6, I think most reputable hosts will block them by default like microsoft as they cant be bothered with blocking the 3.4×10^38 IPv6 addresses one by one.

• bjobjo Member

Netcup, never had an issue with them.

• sanvit said: Just note that you will have almost 0 success rate sending to inbox on Microsoft hosted emails, since MS seems to send emails from new IPs to spam by default.

Not only, I send email from years from 2 ips that i actively manage, and from past spring my customers started landing into spambox every time, on these Microsoft hosted emails. Still not found a solution...

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

We do have a zero-tolerance policy on SPAM and hack activity and port 25 is disabled by default.

• @kokkez said:

sanvit said: Just note that you will have almost 0 success rate sending to inbox on Microsoft hosted emails, since MS seems to send emails from new IPs to spam by default.

Not only, I send email from years from 2 ips that i actively manage, and from past spring my customers started landing into spambox every time, on these Microsoft hosted emails. Still not found a solution...

There is none afaik. Mails sent via Mailchannels also goes to spam, and I've even seen their own freakin mails go to spam box.

The only solutions I've found is using a well-known email service provider such as PostMark or Amazon SES.

Thanked by 1kokkez
  • @sanvit said:

The only solutions I've found is using a well-known email service provider such as PostMark or Amazon SES.

Well crap... that not nice... I think @jar has had similar experiences...

• @pablob said:

Why - cost or some other reason?

What volume Email are you doing/month and to how many addresses?

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@sanvit said:

I've even seen their own freakin mails go to spam box.

I can confirm this. Experienced this with newsletter/ some group mails from an organisation I am associated with.

• @aaronstuder said:

@sanvit said:

Well crap... that not nice... I think @jar has had similar experiences...

My personal tests always went to inbox, but iirc I have seen people complaining messages going to spam. Not 100% sure though.

@donli said:

@pablob said:

Why - cost or some other reason?

What volume Email are you doing/month and to how many addresses?

Maybe due to the fact that sendgrid free sucks? Their IPs are blacklisted literally everywhere, unless you pay for their premium tier... :(

@vyas11 said:

@sanvit said:

I've even seen their own freakin mails go to spam box.

I can confirm this. Experienced this with newsletter/ some group mails from An organisation I am associated with.

Thier own notification email regarding removing IP from blaclist also went to spam lol

• sanvit said: The only solutions I've found is using a well-known email service provider such as PostMark or Amazon SES.

Also mailchimp and gmail, from my test...
    =]

• Amazon SES is also abused by spammers and their IPs do not have as good a reputation as people here think. Microsoft is more strict on their incoming policy than other major email providers, so I would suggest going with Azure VM, setup a mail server and use their own IPs (tackle fire with fire). Take care of the IPs and build your reputation over time.
    Stay away from services which offer free emails as those IPs will definitely be on some of the blacklists.

• who are this entity who decide which IPs are good and bad? Communist? /s

• reliablevps_usreliablevps_us Member, Patron Provider

You can always ask of a /29 block assigned to you ! Your own block.
    It will cost around 10$ a month for the 5 IP's though !

• nvidiannvidian Member
    edited November 2019

@Globepeer said:
    Microsoft is more strict on their incoming policy than other major email providers, so I would suggest going with Azure VM, setup a mail server and use their own IPs (tackle fire with fire). Take care of the IPs and build your reputation over time.

Last time I checked, Azure has port 25 blocked so their VM is useless if OP want to host/setup his own outgoing smtp relay.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

pablob said: i am facing is the issue of dedicated IP ranges from VPS providers going on spam blacklists

its your luck of system administration, if your email marketing is genuine you will not get such issues and will know hot to handle the blacklist issues.

• @nvidian said:

@Globepeer said:
    Microsoft is more strict on their incoming policy than other major email providers, so I would suggest going with Azure VM, setup a mail server and use their own IPs (tackle fire with fire). Take care of the IPs and build your reputation over time.

Last time I checked, Azure has port 25 blocked so their VM is useless if OP want to host/setup his own outgoing smtp relay.

That is why I suggested to setup a mail server so that the mail can be sent from secure ports like 587 or 465. Mostly unsolicited emails are sent from port 25 without any authorization, so port 25 being blocked doesn't surprise me.