Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which is the best backup technique for a large wordpress site?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which is the best backup technique for a large wordpress site?

Which is the very best backup technique using a wordpress site on centos7 centminmod? (Not using a plugin-too many images) Rsync?

Comments

• If you are using a VPS, why not backup the whole server using snapshot?

Otherwise, you can use the backup feature of your server control panel (if you are using cpanel, vistapanel, virtualmin, directadmin, etc).

If you are looking into automated backups, backup the database to a directory and then backup the whole site using rsync to a remote server.

There are a lot of methods available. So, my questions are,

What is the size of the site?
    How many files?
    Size of database?
    Hosted on VPS or dedicated server?
    Are you looking at manual or automated backups?

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

snapshot will be best option as it will be easier to restore without reinstalling whole server again.

Thanked by 1Chievo
  • @somik said:
    If you are using a VPS, why not backup the whole server using snapshot?

Otherwise, you can use the backup feature of your server control panel (if you are using cpanel, vistapanel, virtualmin, directadmin, etc).

If you are looking into automated backups, backup the database to a directory and then backup the whole site using rsync to a remote server.

There are a lot of methods available. So, my questions are,

What is the size of the site?
    How many files?
    Size of database?
    Hosted on VPS or dedicated server?
    Are you looking at manual or automated backups?

Thank you i wish to make them automaticaly for this reason i wish to have backups. Roughly 80GB mainly images . the db is not a problem ia not so big.hosted on a VPS.Automated backups.

• @WebProject said:
    snapshot will be best option as it will be easier to restore without reinstalling whole server again.

Thank you for your advice

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited October 2019

You could S(FTP) backup wp-contents (or whole www folder of wp) to an hourly paid VPS like DO/Vultr, do a fresh reinstall and upload it again via S(FTP).

• @Ympker said:
    You could S(FTP) backup wp-contents (or whole www folder of wp) to an hourly paid VPS like DO/Vultr, do a fresh reinstall and upload it again via S(FTP).

It is a manual solution but i wish to make it automatic if possible.thanks for your advice

• If it's of any help:

Jetbackup - if using cPanel/WHM:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10008/jetbackup-automation/

and DirectAdmin has a not-bad solution built in:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10658/directadmin-setup/#5

Haven't tried with sites that large. But that's what I do.

Now, having said all this, with WordPress, database should be relatively small - compared to all the files (images).

And with images (files), only the added/changed ones should be added to the backup.

So, a setup with DB export and altered/added files only should save on time and space.

Monthly full and daily incremental - something like that.
    Not really sure how to implement that though.

• ChievoChievo Member
    edited October 2019

@bikegremlin said:
    If it's of any help:

Jetbackup - if using cPanel/WHM:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10008/jetbackup-automation/

and DirectAdmin has a not-bad solution built in:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10658/directadmin-setup/#5

Haven't tried with sites that large. But that's what I do.

Now, having said all this, with WordPress, database should be relatively small - compared to all the files (images).

And with images (files), only the added/changed ones should be added to the backup.

So, a setup with DB export and altered/added files only should save on time and space.

Monthly full and daily incremental - something like that.
    Not really sure how to implement that though.

Thank you for your advice but unfortunately i am using centminmod and not cpanel or directadmin

• use Wordpress plugin,
    Updraft , it will backup the large site, with keep alive=1;
    this you can upload/download site in a part like

plugins.zip
    themes.zip
    database.zip
    other.zip
    upload(1++).zip (depend on how much data in upload/folder,

which will be easy for you to download/upload to other server, and restore just one 1 click via this updraft plugin,

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

It is a manual solution but i wish to make it automatic if possible.thanks for your advice

You can setup a cron to perform SFTP backups automatically.

• @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

And how could be possible to be done ? Which are the steps ? I have not any idea that this could be possible thank you for illiminate me about it ,thanks

• How large it is? rsync or diff. Personally I backup 20GB+ WP sites with rsync no problems.

• Wordpress has plugins which allow you to make backups and download them.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

And how could be possible to be done ? Which are the steps ? I have not any idea that this could be possible thank you for illiminate me about it ,thanks

As my former boss used to say, there are many ways to skin a cat - linky link to startpage.com, the query I posted is the exact question you posted.
    setup a cron to perform SFTP backups automatically

Results are interesting.
    Here is one such example:
    2018 vintage - jveweb.net

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@Chievo said:
    Which is the very best backup technique using a wordpress site on centos7 centminmod? (Not using a plugin-too many images) Rsync?

• backup to what/where?
    • backup how often?
    • how "dynamic" is your site, how much content is added or changed per hour/per day?
    • what kind of content (e.g. text (posts) vs. images) is changed/added?

Those are the relevant questions. I advise against (frequent) full system backups because actually WP has only a few places with changed/added content plus the database.

In case you don't feel well with the shell and a bit of scripting, a good WP plugin may actually be the best solution for you.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin Ympker
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@Chievo said:

@Chievo said:
    Thank you i wish to make them automaticaly for this reason i wish to have backups. Roughly 80GB mainly images . the db is not a problem ia not so big.hosted on a VPS.Automated backups.

As you are mainly dealing with images that should not change (not very often), and since you do not want to use plugins, incremental rsync backups seems to be one of the best options.

I suggest you do your own research and learn by trial and error. Here are some initial references:

Also study and plan how to recover your backups. I would suggest provisioning a separate VM for this. Look for tools to automate server deployment, such as Ansible.

God bless your heart and good luck.

• @Chievo said:

For Centmin Mod check out my migration guide at https://community.centminmod.com/threads/centmin-mod-site-data-migration-guide.10382/ for ideas, how you back and restore data during migrations is same as when you do backups.

The same command line tools are always use regardless of control panel or no control panel linux servers - you just have to learn and practice using tar and rsync and if disk space and slow network connectivity are an issue also learn about compression algorithms like gzip, pigz, zstd, bzip2, lbzip2 and pbzip2 which affect how fast you compress backups and the resulting compressed sizes. You can see the differences in speed and compressed sized in benchmarks I did below:

Thanked by 2ITLabs uptime
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited October 2019

@ITLabs said:
    Also study and plan how to recover your backups. I would suggest provisioning a separate VM for this. Look for tools to automate server deployment, such as Ansible.

Ordering food for delivery versus DIY cooking.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ITLabsITLabs Member
    edited October 2019

@vyas11 said:

@ITLabs said:

What could possibly go wrong?

• I've been using Backblaze (b2) cloud storage for backups for a few years now.
    Their price and quality of service are great. I believe it's $0.005 per Gb of storage plus $0.01 for every downloaded Gb.

I actually use duplicity to backup files (differential) and a cron for mysql backups. But there are a few WP plugins that can help you. Just googled ant they have a very thourough guide https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backing-up-wordpress/

No, I dont have any affiliation with backblaze, just a happy customer.

• We only backup the DB to external, the static files are on object storage. No need to backup wp files.

• XtraBackup
    • MySQL InnoDB + Borg
  • @Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

If you have no idea how to set it up you are best off using a Backup plugin for WordPress like Updraft Plus (Free version) which let's you split larger folders (like the upload folder) in several parts to avoid hitting any file size limits.