Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solus.io - Alpha Testing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solus.io - Alpha Testing

HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Solus.io has released an email update:

We're in the process of launching our first alpha and want to give a few selected service providers and companies a sneak peek.
solus.io is a virtual infrastructure management solution that facilitates choice, simplicity, and performance for ISPs and enterprises. Offer blazing fast, on-demand VMs, a simple and modern REST API, and an easy-to-use self-service control panel for your customers to unleash your full potential for growth.

It took them some time to get to Alpha - hopefully, they will actually release it!

Thanked by 1hanoi

Comments

• SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

Yeah got that e-mail this morning. I opted-in the second I got it.

I'm definitely looking forward to testing this out.

Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally! LMFAO. Only took like 7 years.

• HOOOOOOOOOLLLLY SHIIIIIIIIIITTTTT

• i only want to read about your BF offers

silence

:)

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • SpryServers_TabSpryServers_Tab Member, Host Rep

@ehab said:

i only want to read about your BF offers

silence

:)

Haha, soon my friend. Very soon.

Thanked by 3ehab DP poisson
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

That's against the law of physics, you need a external force.

Thanked by 1alilet
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2019

SpryServers_Tab said: Solus.io, aka SolusVM V2 finally!

not yet, too soon to be true! :smile: based on screenshot control panel look like latest version of Plesk.

Thanked by 1SpryServers_Tab
  • thanks, i haven't known that SolusVM was acquired by Plesk
    I hereby allow solus.io (Plesk International GmbH) to process my submitted personal data solely for the purpose of providing me with newsletters for the duration of my newsletter subscription.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

Good to know I am not getting a sneak peak despite signing up months ago.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Just leaving this here - either increased or per vm pricing.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@AlexBarakov said:
    Just leaving this here - either increased or per vm pricing.

Per VM price structure I hope as current one, but it’s the same company as cPanel so everyone need to expect that price will x2 to x100

Thanked by 1Shazan
  • Per VM billing incoming

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

Really hope per VM pricing doesn't come into effect - licensing of an entire node is much easier!

Now that people have signed up to the Alpha I wonder when we will actually see companies using it!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'm expecting per core. Probably $5/m to $7/m per core.

Francisco

• ndelaespadandelaespada Member, Host Rep

@Francisco said:

Francisco

stop giving them ideas!

• SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

That would make us jump ship for sure. That would be a worse increase than the CPanel fiasco. I can't see them loosing low end clients (unlimited resellers) just to pick up the loss on increased revenue with that like CPanel did, and it would probably grind new sales/nodes to halt. CPanel has enterprise level clients willing to pay such prices, SolusVM I would think probably does not...it's mostly a product for the hosting industry.

This is not similar to CPanel's price increase, where there is not comparable products to use or would severely affect client services if you switched. There are options.

It's also a heck of alot easier to develop a VPS control panel replacement for Solus, than it is a competitor to CPanel.

Definitely, please don't give them ideas! Can you imagine per core, with the servers we buy in now it would become pretty expensive just to run one server, the only option would be to buy servers with fewer cores but higher processing speeds

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2019

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Queue people masking /proc/cpuinfo to return one, probably.

We'd certainly jump ship if it went anywhere near that direction. We're already at the point where it almost makes sense to invest in rolling our own, any significant price increase will make that a certainty.

• Whatever they do, there will definitely be something we do not like. Better to look for an alternative now, where there is still enough time for testing. They may also force migration from SolusVM v1 to v2.

Francisco said: I'm expecting per core. Probably $5/m to $7/m per core.

Or per core + per VM, or even revenue share. After the cPanel fiasco everything is possible.

edited October 2019

ndelaespada said: stop giving them ideas!

SmartHost said: That would make us jump ship for sure.

HostMedia said: Definitely, please don't give them ideas!

Someone from the LET Discord went to the webpros conference (the one that Oakley was running) and the discussion was that:

• Prices are 100% going up for v2.
    • No mention of price changes for v1.
    • "Per VM" pricing is unlikely but who knows what top management decides.
    • They seem to be favoring a per core cost like OnApp.
    • Per-core pricing will be less than OnApp but still higher than current $10.00/month pricing.
    • v1 & v2 will exist at the same time until v2 is feature parity to v1 (OpenVZ looks to be the main blocker).
    • Even once parity is met there will be a grace period before forced move to v2.

With all of that, we can assume a $5/month - $7.00/month per physical core.

At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

It's also possible they do a minimum base cost + per VM cost. Say $10.00/month/node and then $0.50/VM/month.

Francisco

Thanked by 2ITLabs DataWagon
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@Francisco said:

With all of that, we can assume a $5/month - $7.00/month per physical core.

At $5.00/core/month it means an E3 would be $20.00/month not $10.00/month. On bigger iron (like 2650v2, 2670's) you'd be $80.00/month.

I'm assuming they want every user paying more so the 'tiny' licenses are likely going away.

If that ends up being the case, then the cost differential will be massive, to the point it will kill the product. SolusVM is not CPanel, end-users do not care if you switch from it, and there are multiple options (Oakley won't acquire them all).

I know at that price, the increase would be so much, that it would cover the costs of just hiring our own programmer (US), or several offshore. Heck, I'd pull out the old vePortal code, and just get that refreshed, before I paid those prices.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2019

I think its important not to think of solus.io as a replacement for v1.

Obviously it will need to have a significantly different feature set WELL above and beyond v1 (as lets be honest virtualizor surpassed v1 in terms of features 5 years ago now) to have any appeal to this customer base.

I don't expect v1 will be scrapped at xx-xx-20xx just because solus.io is available, I suspect solus.io will be a "run your own DO/Vultr" type of product which obviously adds oppertunity for more revenue for customers so may be worth paying the extra for.

I think many of us are in that no mans land between V1 and OnApp, given that onApp ruined the trust of the entire community over and over again its really like being stuck between V1 and nothing.

We want to provide more, we dont want to turn in to software development companies but have no one to turn to and pay money too in order to do that.

If it has no automated and or fully supported v1 migration path at launch though... boy oh boy did someone drop a ball.

Thanked by 1MikeA

@AnthonySmith Couldn't have said it better but in regards to Virtualizor the big issue for us was the UI and the support. Where SolusVM has actually become pretty quick to support questions and the UI is easy to follow for the end users. I hope they bring that in solus.io and a lot of features to meet both Virtualizor & OnApp.

Automatic migration from v1 to solus.io (I don't like calling it v2 as that project died so sticking with the name 'solus.io' as a product) is a must and what would be perfect is to be able to install the solus.io slave installer to a server with v1 already installed so both SolusVM & solus.io can run while it moves everything over - maybe that is too much to ask for :neutral:

• @Francisco that Stallion looking smoking hot and sexy right now. Greatest business decision you made. I feel bad for the other providers that are at the mercy of solus.

• Hopefully they dont increase it too much. People may consider moving to Fleio like RamNode did

Do wonder how many people will start to look at developing their own platforms - is there any open source basic systems out there that people could fork from and develop? Would be interesting to see where this goes!

Still awaiting my alpha acceptance email :wink:

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited October 2019

HostMedia said: is there any open source basic systems out there that people could fork from and develop?

OpenNebula I guess. It works pretty well, but requires a decent amount of knowledge.

Thanked by 1HostMedia

Hxxx said: @Francisco that Stallion looking smoking hot and sexy right now.

I mean, that's just normal.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Lm85H4gFkh3wk3 Hxxx
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

solus is not cpanel , there are lots of alternatives